• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to reduce arousals at night?

For the past month or two, I have been wearing a heart rate monitor at night (see attached). I have noticed that my body, during sleep, seems to continually make spurts of adrenaline that disrupt my sleep. In fact, as I also wear a fitbit watch, I noticed that these spurts are perfectly correlated with movements that fitbit detects as arousals at night.

It is interesting to note that these spurts do not happen to me throughout the day but only at night. I could meditate doing yoga nidra for an hour, and my heart rate will be around 55bpm consistently, or I could be sitting up doing work at a computer for a couple of hours and my heart rate will be in the low 60s without interruption. It seems that something happens to my body during the processes and transitions of sleep (especially around REM), and I suspect that this is the principal reason why my sleep in non-restorative.

The question I have is this: what is the best way to reduce these arousals? Beta blockers? Clonidine? I tried Propanolol, but, as I have Raynaud's disease from chemotherapy treatment for a cancer four years ago, it too severely exacerbated that condition. However, there are others I could try that are more selective.

Has anyone been down this path or have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• HeartRate.png
    HeartRate.png
    55 KB · Views: 16

pattismith

ivabradine can be tried when beta blocker fail, but i don't know if it's a pertinent idea in your case, because your basal HR seems rather low. Maybe a small evening dose?

@Matthew_2
This sounds like what I experience at times. Not all the time. I wake up with a feeling in my chest like when you have a close call or near accident. The sensation fades but I’m awake for awhile. I’ve noticed that when I’m drinking an electrolyte drink (optimal electrolyte from seeking health Is the one I use) this doesn’t happen nor do I experience any other sleep disturbances.
ingredients: niacin, magnesium, sodium bicarbonate, potassium (510 mg), D-Ribose, Taurine, Creatine, Malic acid
I am taking metoprolol and tambocor

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Taurine powder - just a pinch - can help with heart rhythm issues.

I also just read something that works for tachycardia the other day but it's late and I can't bring it to mind. If I do I will try to post it asap once I remember if I'm near my computer.

Another thing: Turn onto your left side when this happens too (if you aren't already). That usually lowers the pulse by about 10 beats per minute for my mom and it happens almost immediately.

NAC and Niacin (non-flushing kind) often help to lower her bp (fast pulse is usually one sign to us that her bp has spiked) so we usually resort to those before trying the Clonidine.

I agree about the low pulse. That can sometimes be caused by low thyroid. Maybe your body is overcompensating at night for low hormone during the day. Also I read recently that our immune systems turn up at night so they can work while we sleep so maybe there's something going on with that.

Hope you can find something to work for you.

Last edited: