• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to do probiotic retention enemas??

douglasmich

Hello.

I have horrible gut dysbiosis caused by antibiotics.

I cannot find a fecal donor so as an alternative i want to do "probiotic retention enemas"

The thing is i can't find any instructions on the web! I can find scattered info about kefir enemas, yogurt enemas but no solid instructions on how much water, wether to use a syringe, etc.

I have some expensive probiotics and i want to implant them in my colon 1x a week. How do i do it?.

thanks

I implanted milk and water kefir grains using this method:
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/IBD/

In your situation l would consider breaking probiotic capsule into a glass filled with a couple of mls body temp filtered water. Stir solution thoroughly then implant as per link, using a syringe. No needle!

The link should provide all you need, though it's related to kefir. You could consider doing this same protocol and also add your probiotic.
cheers

douglasmich

Wow thanks.

Is it safe to put elm up your colon haha...

Do you think kefir can help grow flora in the colon?

don't think i can use milk kefir dairy is bad for me.

My problem is slow transit constipation ccausd by antibiotics

whodathunkit

I have done retention enemas with a cup of distilled water, boiled and cooled, then a bunch of probiotics of my choice plus some potato starch (to give the gut bugs something to eat while they're getting comfy up in there :D). I empty a Fleet enema bottle, wash with mild soap and rinse thoroughly, then pour the water/probiotic/potato starch mix into it. Seems to work just fine, and no overly complex regimens to follow.

10 days of eating nothing but brown rice is very, very hard for most people to do (I've tried it), and while it may be helpful, is not absolutely necessary, as most people who get good results don't go to that extreme, anyway. To correct bowel problems the first step does have to be diet, as you can't be eating crap and expect to get well, but 10 days of brown rice is absolutely not necessary. It probably won't hurt anything, and may be helpful if you can stand it, but isn't necessary unless you really want to. If inability to complete the 10 days presents a hurdle to doing the probiotics, definitely don't do.

BTW, potato starch is indigestible so if you swallow it, it presumably arrives in the large intestine after its journey in the same form as if you're putting it straight into the colon/large intestine with the syringe.

Be aware that probiotic therapy can come with a whole host of side effects before things calm down. Might try reading the thread "Resistant Starch Challenge" in this sub-forum for some info on the side effects some people experience. There isn't much about retention enemas in that thread, but sides from various prebiotics (like potato starch) and probiotics are thoroughly discussed.

Whatever way you choose to do it, good luck! :)

I dropped dairy also and had no issue with the milk kefir grains, rinse them carefully with filtered water. They contain more species of good bacteria than water kefir grains. I did include a range of brewed teas and neem for it's anti pathogenic properties, however in my situation the teas aren't as important as the live bacteria and you may not need bother.

The link l provided was to help explain the implant process only. You're right it's difficult finding info on this process. Btw that site, although convoluted, is an excellent source of practical information regarding wild beneficial bacteria, by one very knowledgeable and wise fellow.

Expect gas, gurgling and gut spasms over the course of the implant process but nothing too serious. Best implanting before bed.

Your diet is most important now. To fix your gut consider sourkrout, fermented foods, eating kefir grains via green smoothies (the water kefir proliferate rapidly), kombucha and bone broths. There's plenty more info regarding this.

I eliminated sugar, gluten and booze whilst doing the injections and for as long as possible afterwards. Fixing the gut can take a year or so depending where you're at. I found working in months best determined what's effective.

I incorporated resistant starch into my protocol, titrating to large doses, but after 2 months without detectable improvement l moved on. We're all different, it may work for you depending on your situation.

douglasmich

Thanks guys.

This is why my gut is so bad. I cannot eat ANY fiber, fermented food, RS, probiotics orally due to my constipation. it makes it far worse which is normal with slow transit.

The problem is dysbiosis in the colon that's why im trying to attack it from behind. Im not sure how safe a RS enema would be.... I need to get prebiotics & probiotics in my colon somehow safely

douglasmich

Ok guys i am bouncing off the walls with excitement! !! i think I've finally found the cure for my dysbiosis after years of low fodmap starving my gut.

The RS enema looks amazing. I could finally feed my gut after years of starving it and bypass oral ingestion! !

OMG OMG lol..... Which brand of RS? this stuff looks like the golden bullet!!!!

South

Which brand of RS?
@douglasmich See the thread on resistant starch (link below); somewhere in there are discussions of brands of resistant starch.

The results for constipation haven't seemed stellar from what I've read of that thread, for people who only did the resistant starch, but for people who also added certain kind of probiotics there seems to be a few success stories in that thread (in getting rid of constipation).

Not sure, but worth a search in that thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ge-is-it-the-key-weve-been-looking-for.26976/

douglasmich

OKay guys i have bought the stuff

-4.5oz fleet enema
-1lb non modified potato starch

I have Renew life Ultimate flora and Prescript Assist as my probiotics.

I am currently on a 14 day Buchinger fasting cure (basically 250cal a day of liquid) My fast includes raw honey, cinnamon tea and ginger tea which is killing off my SIBO and pathogens whilst starving it through the fast and resting the gut.

On my refeed peroid i will start the enemas to repopulate the gut and prevent the dysbiosis for returning.

OH MANN i have not felt this optimistic in a LOOONG time.... ALL MY PROBLEMS are gut related... Antibitoics caused my whole crash.............

will keep this updated when i try. Do you think 1TSP is good way to start? im not sure if prescript assist is safe in an enema what do you think>?

Last edited:

whodathunkit

Dude, don't get too excited. :) There are typically A LOT of ups and downs with this course of therapy, especially if you are really sick and/or immune compromised, and expecting too much, or expecting it be all rainbows and unicorns isn't realistic. At times you're more likely to get more unicorn farts than actual unicorns. A straight upward trajectory from being sick into being well is pretty much never the way it goes. Don't get disappointed if it doesn't work as well or as quickly as you hope.

Bob's Red Mill Raw Potato Starch is what you want. If the PS is not raw or is poor quality it won't do the job. Like @South said, read the thread for info. The first 40 or so pages will tell you almost everything you need to know.

1 tsp should be fine to start. You might also consider taking a little at both ends to hedge your bets.

I used Prescript Assist in my retention enemas and it seemed fine. We're all different, though.

Good luck! :)

douglasmich

I am nearly done my 14day fast to starve down the bad guys then i will start the RS implants. Wont be eating any orally as i cannot tolerate it.

Wiill keep you guys updated.

douglasmich

The enema will look like this
-1 cap ULTIMATE FLORA 50 BILLION
-1 cap PRESCRIPT ASSIST SBO (Soil based organisms safe in enema?)
-1tsp BOB MILL"s POTATO STARCH
-133ml DISTILLED WATER.

douglasmich

I have done retention enemas with a cup of distilled water, boiled and cooled, then a bunch of probiotics of my choice plus some potato starch (to give the gut bugs something to eat while they're getting comfy up in there :D). I empty a Fleet enema bottle, wash with mild soap and rinse thoroughly, then pour the water/probiotic/potato starch mix into it. Seems to work just fine, and no overly complex regimens to follow.

10 days of eating nothing but brown rice is very, very hard for most people to do (I've tried it), and while it may be helpful, is not absolutely necessary, as most people who get good results don't go to that extreme, anyway. To correct bowel problems the first step does have to be diet, as you can't be eating crap and expect to get well, but 10 days of brown rice is absolutely not necessary. It probably won't hurt anything, and may be helpful if you can stand it, but isn't necessary unless you really want to. If inability to complete the 10 days presents a hurdle to doing the probiotics, definitely don't do.

BTW, potato starch is indigestible so if you swallow it, it presumably arrives in the large intestine after its journey in the same form as if you're putting it straight into the colon/large intestine with the syringe.

Be aware that probiotic therapy can come with a whole host of side effects before things calm down. Might try reading the thread "Resistant Starch Challenge" in this sub-forum for some info on the side effects some people experience. There isn't much about retention enemas in that thread, but sides from various prebiotics (like potato starch) and probiotics are thoroughly discussed.

Whatever way you choose to do it, good luck! :)

HI

Just wondering how you stop the starch from sitting at the bottom of the enema bottle?

Also can you reuse fleet bottles?

thx!

I'm thinking of trying similar, having fond this amazing NIH that shows 70% recovery at this NIH:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8584653/

Moreover, a 70% response rate was obtained when 13 non-pathogenic bacteria were administered via colonoscopy in 60 ME/CFS individuals. Additionally, at 15–20 years follow up, 58% of cases reported maintained response without recurrence [176].

The thing is though, it needs to be delivered via colonoscopy so that the whole colon is colonized. Which seems tricky at-home.

godlovesatrier

How are you feeling now gilles? Can you link your google docs so people can read and follow your diary?

Gilles has done about 10 days of enemas and has had 70% days where he's felt amazing. Gilles can you tell us what percentage of better you felt after the first one?

Feeling pretty good. Had best sleep in probably 1+ years last night (and sleep has been my biggest problem). Did self-given colonic hydrotherapy + enema yesterday too:
Experience with links to materials, etc. here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J4_I8oQ6TUjJmRI1lHgVVmEcjHYvBQs5xGlGKcW70b0/edit#
And in terms of % better. Mentally I would say 100% recovery. Clear headed, happy. Had friends over.

Physically it did very little. My body was still trashed. As I comment in the document. But I think it takes time for the body to heal.

That said, it changed my body from feeling like it was in a steady decline, to a feeling of "Oh I'm just in pour health and starting to recovery" (as noted in the document).

Idea here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wi4mSlHRs_ixg6B13qKt_6LZNB5yK2W8qvLXBf8iLNk/edit
And log here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fRvvM95b6UChUxXgFInq0gk0x9hlUSDjbNwMrBd_O08/edit
Note that now that I'll be doing these regularly, I'm moving them back to my normal experience log (linked at the top of this post).

Thanks,
Brandon

godlovesatrier

Thanks Brandon, I think it's fascinating we both had a similair experience, even if mine was only for 2 hours sadly.

At any rate, more people could give this a go and see if they see similair improvement.

I've decided not to do anymore enemas for now due to my current crash and the fact it made me feel so naseous and achy and unwell (might have been a theraputic effect of coures) but it's a fascinating idea please keep us updated on your progress trying to get things further up in the colon!