• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Beat Candida PERMANENTLY

tdog333

Hi everyone, I've been a member here for a long time and been involved in a lot of different threads. I have recently been thinking more about candida since one of my cousins(we're close friends), has been really struggling to get rid of candida.

I remember when I was battling candida I was very frustrated because it seemed that no matter how hard i tried or how closely I followed a candida diet it just kept coming back.

I remember things started to change for the better once I understood more about the TH1 and TH2 immune response and how candida can influence it.

Quick and Basic Summary

In very basic terms, the immune system starts off with a bunch of Th0 cells, waiting for an intruder. Once an intruder is recognized, the Th0 cells change into either Th1 or Th2 cells.

Th1 cells are effective against viruses, cancer, and yeast(candida). Th2 are effective against bacteria. Candida has been shown to deregulate, and even send out "fake cytokines"(fake messengers).

This means candida can literally tell your immune system to attack incorrectly, which leads to a viscous cycle of dieting, taking supplements, inflammation, fatigue, and relapse.

This is why so many people follow candida diets only to find that candida comes back the second they start eating sugar and carbs.

The key is immune modulators: one of the same theories proposed for people suffering with CFS, so if you have CFS and candida immune modulators may help address both at once.

Immune modulators such as Jaiogulan, omega 3's, and soil based probiotics are a few of the reccomended ones.

It's still important to follow a candida diet, take supplements to kill candida, but also add in biofilm removers, and immune modulators, but this should help people who keep having candida relapses. This website covers basically everything I've talked about in more detail, I just wanted to keep it brief.

Sources:
Study of how candida deregulates th1 th2 response
Th1 vs Th2 response study

tdog333

Yes, I have, most of the problems stem from an ineffective immune system in my opinion. This is why normal people can eat sugar and drink beer all day without issues, yet someone with a poor or non-balanced immune system eats 10 grams of sugar and has a full yeast flare up.

Hotch

Hotch
I am so confused about the immune system in Me/CFS. I NEVER get sick. I do not have the flu like symptoms most have often. However, I have all other symptoms on Canadian symptom thingy ( sorry, can't think how to express it) constant exhaustion ( bed bound/ home bound half week. Other half may manage to go to lunch with hubby, maybe push and go to a friends house which I pay for after. bad PEM, terrible brain fog, POTS are my main probs. I have had these in differing degrees for 32 years. I dont know what my immune system is doing. If it was over active wouldn't I get viral symptoms? Is it under active? I imagine I am Th2 dominant as my dr said that it is very rare to see such an incredibly high level of candidiasis. I have very little sugar now - since 5 months - when I found out about the candida. Neither script anti candidas worked. Herbal ones have helped a lot but it is still there but improved.

Figured this was worth a bump

Although I never put much faith in candida as a cause of most disease, it looks like low sphingolipids & ceramides in CFS - http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...function-in-myalgic-encephalopathy-cfs.48446/ - could certainly promote it:

http://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1005188
Published: October 2, 2015
Abstract
The ability of phagocytes to clear pathogens is an essential attribute of the innate immune response. The role of signaling lipid molecules such as phosphoinositides is well established, but the role of membrane sphingolipids in phagocytosis is largely unknown. Using a genetic approach and small molecule inhibitors, we show that phagocytosis of Candida albicans requires an intact sphingolipid biosynthetic pathway. Blockade of serine-palmitoyltransferase (SPT) and ceramide synthase-enzymes involved in sphingolipid biosynthesis- by myriocin and fumonisin B1, respectively, impaired phagocytosis by phagocytes. We used CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome editing to generate Sptlc2-deficient DC2.4 dendritic cells, which lack serine palmitoyl transferase activity. Sptlc2-/- DC2.4 cells exhibited a stark defect in phagocytosis, were unable to bind fungal particles and failed to form a normal phagocytic cup to engulf C. albicans. Supplementing the growth media with GM1, the major ganglioside present at the cell surface, restored phagocytic activity of Sptlc2-/- DC2.4 cells. While overall membrane trafficking and endocytic pathways remained functional, Sptlc2-/- DC2.4 cells express reduced levels of the pattern recognition receptors Dectin-1 and TLR2 at the cell surface. Consistent with the in vitro data, compromised sphingolipid biosynthesis in mice sensitizes the animal to C. albicans infection. Sphingolipid biosynthesis is therefore critical for phagocytosis and in vivo clearance of C. albicans.

Author Summary
The fungus Candida albicans is not only a commensal of the digestive system, but also a common cause of human opportunistic infections. Macrophages and dendritic cells can eliminate C. albicans by phagocytosis, a complex process that involves extensive membrane reorganization at the cell surface. The extent to which membrane lipids, including sphingolipids, contribute to the proper execution of phagocytosis remains largely unknown. Pharmacological blockade of sphingolipid biosynthesis by the small molecule inhibitors myriocin and fumonisin B1 impairs phagocytosis of C. albicans. DC2.4 dendritic cells genetically deficient in Sptlc2, the enzyme that catalyzes the first and rate-limiting step in the sphingolipid biosynthetic pathway, are likewise defective in phagocytosis of C. albicans. Sptlc2-/- DC2.4 cells showed reduced binding of C. albicans, but overall membrane transport and protein secretion remained functional. Sptlc2-deficient cells express reduced levels of the receptors Dectin-1 and TLR2 at the cell surface, and are unable to form a normal phagocytic cup. Exogenous addition of the major ganglioside GM1 restored phagocytic ability of Sptlc2-/- DC2.4 cells. Mice with compromised sphingolipid production upon in vivo treatment with fumonisin B1 fail to eradicate C. albicans, consistent with the in vitro results. Sphingolipids are thus essential for clearance of fungal infection through phagocytosis, and hence indispensable for the proper functioning of the innate immune system.

That's not to say it's a cause (as @Hip reminded that some pathogens can do http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-encephalopathy-cfs.48446/page-17#post-801664) and it's short of human in-vivo but it gives plausible and rather simple explanation as to why candida might become a chronic issue.

erin

@Hotch, I have very similar problems too. In summer I took borax for 3 months and it helped me a lot. 2. and 3. months I almost felt normal. However I had my routine thyroid test and they tested my cholesterol levels and some other liver values. All was higher than normal, so I was frightened to put extra work on my liver and stopped the borax. Now the candida is back and ruining my health.

Dainty

In the past, whenever I got a candida yeast infection, taking some caprylic acid for a few days cleared it up.

Unfortunately after I went on 3 rounds of antibiotics for a life-threatening infection, I've been fighting a ridiculously severe yeast infection for a good....6 months now, I think?

With severe dietary restrictions from allergies already, and without access to a kitchen, I cannot strictly remain on the candida diet. Any week I mostly manage to, I am losing weight, while already being underweight. So while losing weight just from the effort to do as much candida diet as possible, taking massive amounts of caprylic acid, and doing whatever suppositories my doctor is recommending now - 3-4 rounds of treatment still hasn't permanently eliminated it.

To be honest, I don't put a lot of stock into "here, this website says they know why you can't permanently eliminate it" because I've read so many of them claiming so many different things. Who knows what "the" answer is? All I do know is that for normal people, a single treatment, or maybe two, takes care of it, even without modifying their diet in the least.

Since all the sites that claim to know "THE" reason (be it all different reasons) at least all agree on a very very strict candida diet being key, and I cannot maintain that longer than a couple weeks due to malnourishment -- then for now, I'm stuck with it and don't have a lot of hope. :(

knackers323

@Hotch, I have very similar problems too. In summer I took borax for 3 months and it helped me a lot. 2. and 3. months I almost felt normal. However I had my routine thyroid test and they tested my cholesterol levels and some other liver values. All was higher than normal, so I was frightened to put extra work on my liver and stopped the borax. Now the candida is back and ruining my health.

Hi you took borax only for candida or other reasons also?

erin

Borax was suggested for LS by a forum member here in PR. It didn't help to LS, still suffering. It tamed it a bit. But I was bloated like balloon at the time due to candida infection. I remember that the bloatedness gone within a day, continued borax got better and better.

To be honest, I don't put a lot of stock into "here, this website says they know why you can't permanently eliminate it" because I've read so many of them claiming so many different things. Who knows what "the" answer is? All I do know is that for normal people, a single treatment, or maybe two, takes care of it, even without modifying their diet in the least.

Since all the sites that claim to know "THE" reason (be it all different reasons) at least all agree on a very very strict candida diet being key, and I cannot maintain that longer than a couple weeks due to malnourishment -- then for now, I'm stuck with it and don't have a lot of hope. :(

If there is evidence that control of the infection depends on more than one limiting factor, then your body won't be able to keep it in check until all of them are addressed. I imagine "normal" people are more likely to have only one limiting factor. (Note these may have no relation to antibiotic/antifungal treatment, and tie more into recurrence)

Outside of "those" websites, definitely not everyone agrees on a very strict diet - for example Paul Jaminet noted that low-carb is counterproductive against candida. Other people believe common infections in general are completely slaves processes to overall health, in other words that restricting diet for purpose of depriving pathogens is entirely counterproductive.

Sorry you're stuck with that though.

mrmichaelfreedmen

Is boron the same as borax?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
The borax that I am familiar with is sold a a laundry product. I doubt that it is handled with the care that product intended for human consumption would be.

I just checked my box. It says, "Caution ... Do not take internally". Perhaps there are other sources.

pamojja

Some more on Borax.

Saw it in India sold in pharmacies. Also can be found in Ayurvedic products. But sure better not to use Borax sold as laundry product, could have some nasty additives.

Available for example here. Also this has the warning not to ingest. Since in many countries it is outlawed.

Maybe just google 'borax controversy' to read and make up your own mind about it.

Last edited: