• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much Salt do you consume?

Sarah94

Hi there.

Salt definitely helps me to manage my orthostatic intolerance.
But I am finding I want to consume LOADS to help manage it.
POTS UK website says 3-10g salt may be recommended.
I'm wanting to consume more than 10g salt a day to help manage it.
Is that bad for me?
I do drink plenty of water too.

I can't get out to see a cardiologist because my ME is too severe to leave the house.

taniaaust1

Salt can be dangerous so I think not good to exceed the recommendations. I love salt too with the POTS. I'm not sure though how much salt Im having but I always buy things salted where I can

BeADocToGoTo1

The type of salt is also important. You will be surprised how many types of table salts are bleached, with sugar (dextrose), anti-caking agents added and stripped of all trace minerals, leaving only sodium chloride. Stick with high quality mineral rich salt e.g. Himalayan pink, Celtic sea or A. Vogel Herbamare salt.

If you are drinking RO (reverse osmosis) water without the salt/minerals added back in, or some other demineralized type water, you are also leaving out an important source of minerals and stripping your body of electrolytes that can cause salt cravings.

Something a little off topic, but have you looked at CoQ10 (Ubiquinol or ubiquinone versions) and L-Carnitine?

Last edited: