• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many of your have improved on a keto diet?

crypt0cu1t

IG: @crypt0cu1t
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope it's the right area lol

I just started a Keto diet and plan to slowly eliminate other foods that can trigger autoimmunity and inflammation since I know that both are an issue for me.

How many of you have improved on Keto or related diets?

Rufous McKinney

on Keto or related diets

I am more Paleo; I don't think my fat consumption levels are high enough to be technically keto.

I lost 45 pounds over 8 years by: substantially reducing carbs, especially at night. This was an overall good thing. I was not trying to lose weight, just decided to eat less one day, and less of that at night.

However, I was only recently able to get my insulin resistence reduced to safe levels via: really really reducing carbs and clearly confronting my secret sugar habit. I had to give up more. Can't buy bread, I'll eat it.

But its Ok. its now: just a little big of dark chocolate works, to fill that niche, or craving, without over doing it.

I"m not craving these things, so I don't feel I gave up much of anything at the moment.

So: probably would be unable to not take a bit of that chocolate cake, or brownie. But can resist: the next bites.

Bansaw

I've improved in some ways. My doctor actually put me on it a year ago!
My blood sugar initially went down, which was a goal for me.
As for energy, an extra 5%. But my energy problems are HPA axis related, not diet.
I saw the Dr. today actually. I'd slipped into a bad version of the Keto diet ans he says many people do this. They think they can eat as much protein as they want. They can't. This causes problems, and my blood sugar went back up. She told me why.
I would definitely encourage a CFS person to try it if they ask me, but make sure they hit their macros pretty accurately, and make sure the fat intake is adequate (olive oil etc)

Bansaw

I suppose I could google the answer....considering here that I need to eat more good fats (we are so programed to avoid fats..decades of programming).
Eat more fats (good for you if your body has switched from carbs/sugars and is now primarily in the keto state...)

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
Benefits I've noticed from a low carb, adequate protein, high fat diet. Fewer migraines. More poise. More calm. Greater ability to concentrate, to notice, to not react.

Physically, less pain, better flexibility, more endurance. Perhaps greater strength.

The list is long.

Food content and sources are as crucial for me as amounts of macronutrients, and ratios.

Low PUFA, lots of organic, soy-free egg yolks. Offal helps me feel stronger and more alert. Kerrygold butter makes life nicer. Some muscle meat for taste and enjoyment. A few plants for decoration and variety. Cream for fun, and to get enough fat. It's a great food plan.

It's a great way to live. :)

Bansaw

Benefits I've noticed from a low carb, adequate protein, high fat diet. Fewer migraines. More poise. More calm. Greater ability to concentrate, to notice, to not react.
Yes, now that I look back and remember what I was before, I do have a slight increase in energy, somewhat less brain fog. Not life-changing, but noticeable and welcome.

BeADocToGoTo1

I try to stay in light ketosis by following a healthy diet, not eating anything past dinner time and sometimes skipping breakfast or eating breakfast late. There is a little meter by KetoMojo that I used to track ketones in the blood.

It helped tremendously in my case.

But, keto can be taken to extremes with even taking ketone salts as supplements and less than 50 grams of carbs per day for long periods of time. Extremely low carbs is really only something to do temporarily as a reset of diet, with doctor support, and if you are strong enough. But lower carbs are great compared with the standard modern diet, and anything over 150 grams per day is likely unhealthy, unless perhaps you are a hardcore athlete and burn through all that.

Last edited:

Bansaw

We have several metabolic studies which suggest we have impairments in our fatty acid metabolism. So what does happen when ME folks go keto? Reading thru comments here, it seems to be: a mixed bag.
That is sort of always the case. Am I wasting energy and planetary resources- eating this avocado?
I've not had a significant energy boost (yet).
But my blood sugar is down and my weight is down. Both positives.
And my doc put me on Keto because my Lyme was liking the carbs and sugars too much.
For me, I get an energy boost when I proactively mentally rest.
So with me I think my HPA axis was knacked at some stage. Probably through some PTSD I had many years ago.

ChrisD

I’ve been Low Carb for two years and Low fodmap/lectin/histamine/oxalate for a year on top of low carb. Both have helped me about 5-10% but it’s hard to get a big breakthrough

Learner1

@crypt0cu1t I tried a keto diet for a few months as suggested by my doctor. I felt ok, but can't say it did anything for my autoimmunity. I went off it as my amino acids were too low - I seem to burn aminos for fuel, so stayed on a low carb Paleo diet.

@ChrisD That sounds very restrictive - can I ask what you are eating to follow this diet?