• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how "filmjölk" has saved my gut

MonkeyMan

I wanted to share an interesting and TRUE story, and I hope it's not "TMI"! For the first time since my ME/CFS began 35 years ago, I'm having consistently normal bowel movements. And it's thanks to one thing: "filmjölk". (In case you don't know, "filmjölk" is basically the Scandinavian version of kefir (kefir being the yogurt-like drink that is packed with healthy bacteria)).

A little background: My ME/CFS is rooted in the tetracycline I took when I was a child and teenager. This over-usage caused severe intestinal candidiasis, which in turn caused my ME/CFS. As a tasty way to improve my gut flora, I've been drinking kefir daily for about 18 years, and home-brewing it myself for about 8 of those. But despite the kefir, my bowel movements have always been hit-or-miss, although they were even worse before I began drinking kefir.

Then one day recently I ran out of starter for my kefir. In this situation I always go to Whole Foods and buy a bottle of kefir, then use that as the starter base. This time, however, I noticed a bottle of "filmjölk", which I'd never seen before. Now, I have relatives who live in Sweden and whenever I visit them I enjoy drinking "filmjölk". But I'd never seen it in a store. So, out of curiosity -- and because the bottle said "10 billion probiotics" -- I decided to buy it and see if it would work as a starter base. Turns out it worked like a charm.

Normal bowel movements every day; haven't had this since I was a kid.

And as a bonus, the "filmjölk" tastes a whole lot better than the kefir did.

Incidentally, I did a little research online and it seems that while kefir contains yeast, "filmjölk" does not. I'm sure that's why I prefer the taste of "filmjölk": it's much less sour, much milder. Drinking "filmjölk" is almost like drinking whipped cream or even a milkshake.

What I wonder is, whether the yeast in the kefir is what prevented the kefir from "working" to restore my bowel movements. (Keep in mind that tetracycline overusage caused the severe intestinal candidiasis that caused my CFS).

I understand some health advocates say yeast in food can inflame the gut, maybe because of histamine production. Whether that's true or not, given that antibiotic-induced-intestinal-candidiasis was what led to my ME/CFS, it would seem quite plausible that I have at least a mild sensitivity to yeast. Speculating further, maybe therefore the yeast in the kefir counter-acted the beneficial effects of the bacteria that it also contains (a sort of "2-steps-forward 1-step-back" beverage, if you will).

Timaca

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you found something to help you!!

It's interesting that various fermented products work (or not) for different people. I recently realized that one of the plant based kefirs I was drinking (a small amount each day) actually made me feel more bloated!

I would be interested to try the filmjolk, but I'm plant based. Maybe I can buy a bottle and see if it will ferment plant based milk. Any thoughts on that??

Hip

"filmjölk" is basically the Scandinavian version of kefir

Filmjölk is available here to buy in the UK. I just bought some. I understand that once you have bought the starter, you can continue making fresh filmjölk indefinitely. Looking forward to trying it.

The bacteria in Filmjölk are Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides.

SelfHacked has an article on the health benefits of Lactococcus lactis here.

consuegra

hi,

This is interesting. With further study it might turn out that you are missing something in your gut that the filmjolk supplies. I would be interested in updates.

Certainly there is a lot of work in fecal transplants for various conditions. Someday it might make it's way to ME. The FT work is slow and expensive. Most scientists insist that it has to be that way. Others are more interested in moving this along with different illnesses - Khoruts and Borody seem to be out front. It is likely that the gut plays a role in ME - either major or minor.

Each of us try to find our own solution. Avoidance of some things helps. Supplementing with some things helps. Everyone seems different.

Here is a recent study that I found interesting.
https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...cle_959c1a8e-6f13-576c-af83-ae018d559a75.html

It appears to me that gut interventions might be closer than other things. I am happy that you may have found something that helps you. Certainly your case is believable - and the reward for years of trial and error.

Gregor Reid has developed a probiotic that has a leg up on others. I believe more specific interventions will emerge in the next couple of years.

I have started drinking Filmjolk myself for microscopic colitis, an illness that comes on the heals of spending 18 desperate years trying to help my daughter. I will continue this for a time.

I am surprised that filmjolk tastes so much like the original MAF probiotic

Chris

MonkeyMan

I found this online. https://shop.culturesforhealth.com/collections/yogurt/products/heirloom-yogurt-starters I may try to see if it is possible to use a plant based milk. I like that it is made at room temperature. That sounds easy!

Hi Timaca, I don't know if plant-based milk will work. Even with cow's milk, it's easy to make but in my experience you need to heat it first. I pour a half gallon of milk into a large glass bowl, add a cup of "filmjölk", stir well, and microwave for 7 minutes. Then cover it, and let it sit for at least 7 or 8 hours on your kitchen counter. That's it! :)

By the way, if you're avoiding cow's milk because of lactose intolerance, keep in mind that products like "filmjölk" and kefir are much lower in lactose than normal milk, because the friendly bacteria consume most of the lactose themselves.

Last edited:

MonkeyMan

hi,

I have started drinking Filmjolk myself for microscopic colitis, an illness that comes on the heals of spending 18 desperate years trying to help my daughter. I will continue this for a time.

Chris

Hi Chris, fingers crossed that the "filmjölk" helps you with the colitis. Please keep us posted.

Then one day recently I ran out of starter for my kefir

Hi MonkeyMan,

have you ever tried making kefir from the original milk kefir grains instead with a starter? For me personally it turned out to be my personal life-saver. I always eat the milk kefir soaked one day in rolled oats for the prebiotics in my muesli.

MonkeyMan

Hi MonkeyMan,
have you ever tried making kefir from the original milk kefir grains instead with a starter? For me personally it turned out to be my personal life-saver. I always eat the milk kefir soaked one day in rolled oats for the prebiotics in my muesli.

Hi Monty79, I tried that a while ago and didn't notice a difference. Also, the magical effect the "filmjölk" had for me has disappeared. I'm planning now to try "amasai" and then rotate between that, "filmjölk", and kefir ... just like they say rotation can be effective w/ antibiotics.

I would be interested to try the filmjolk, but I'm plant based. Maybe I can buy a bottle and see if it will ferment plant based milk. Any thoughts on that??

Try it! In my experience with using milk based starters with plant milks, you sometimes end up with a different consistency than the original, but most of the time the bacteria remains. If you can use the new milk as a starter in a few generations, the bacteria are doing ok. If not, I wouldn't trust it.