• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How fast does improvement take on Immunoglobulin?

Sing

I have recently started sub-c infusions of Hizentra at 25 gms per week and wonder about how long it will be before I can expect improvement? So I am asking about your experience.

So far my side effects include increased tiredness/sleepiness. Of course a slower mind and motivation to do anything go with this. It seems to come in waves of a few hours, off and on. Now I feel compelled to take a nap—in fact some days, I want to take a second—when before I got through the day without napping. The first two days I had diarrhea too but that has stopped.

When did you first start to notice glimmers of improvement—or better?

Sing

Only been at it for 2 ½ months and not sure I am seeing improvements yet. Have been told that 6 months is a good trial. As for side effects, I am still sleepier and more brain fogged than I was before starting, so I can’t say yet that it is helping, but I still have more of a fair trial to go.

Would you be willing to share what kinds of improvements you hd?

I talked about them more here:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/what-happens-with-ivig-therapy.78117/#post-2240732

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/conversations/questions-about-scig.72207/

I also had a lot of more minor and random symptom improvements that I didn't get into since the list would be very long and I do not have the energy to get into it. But it has definitely helped me. I'm nowhere near cured and I'm still severe/very severe, but not getting worse at the scary rate like I was before.

Avena

Only been at it for 2 ½ months and not sure I am seeing improvements yet. Have been told that 6 months is a good trial. As for side effects, I am still sleepier and more brain fogged than I was before starting, so I can’t say yet that it is helping, but I still have more of a fair trial to go.
When I started (sc) I was told at least 4 months to se if I had any effect at all. A year for final conclusion. (My insomnia and hypotension got so much worse that I stopped after 4 months).

In my experience, “sleepier” is a good sign that my body has entered a rest mode that can facilitate improvement. Hope it is a good sign for you as well!

Sing

@Avena I am sorry it didn’t work for you. The sleepier side effect for me is accompanied by more stupidity, hypotension and weakness. This is not so extreme I want to stop this trial of immunoglobulin, but if it turns out not to give me help by 6 months, I also won’t be very regretful to give it up.

Avena

@Avena The sleepier side effect for me is accompanied by more stupidity, hypotension and weakness.
Sorry to hear that. I remember the weakness as well. A kind of “overload” feeling, right?

Have you discussed with your Doctor if it is possible to target the hypotension? I regret not adding Florinef before I had to stop. A drug I now know always is right for me when the hypotension get worse. I also did not know then how much a simple thing like electrolytes could have helped.

Sing

My doctor and I have been working on the hypotension and I do take Florinef, but these meds don’t resolve the hypotension or the symptoms from immunoglobulin. They probably help my symptoms, just don’t fix all the issues.