• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Do I Get Rid Of A Cold Sore?

Shoshana

Northern USA
I take L- lysine capsules for cold sores, as some other posters mentioned above,
but I also see some additional good suggestions on this thread, that I might try, in the future.

I hope yours improves quickly, @Misfit Toy !

used_to_race

Occasionally Chia sees ME/CFS patients who are negative on the ARUP Lab enterovirus tests, but positive on his stomach biopsy test for enterovirus. This is likely due to the patient having an enterovirus not covered by the ARUP Lab tests (for example, there are 32 echoviruses, but ARUP only test for the 5 most common ones).

By the way, Dr Chia has changed his threshold for active infection on the ARUP tests. It used to be 1:320, but now he states the threshold is 1:160 to 1:320.

I was at literally 1:10 for every single one he tested. I also had an upper endoscopy done, and although no biopsy was performed for enterovirus, everything looked good in terms of gastritis. I don't really find enterovirus infection to be a convincing explanation for any of my symptoms, let alone occasional mouth ulcers. I do wonder, however, if a biopsy could be taken of the mouth ulcer (or for that matter, the light ulceration in my throat that Dr. Chia also said was enterovirus-related), and a culture performed on that tissue. Is it possible to culture or even detect HSV1 in the discharge from a cold sore? Or are these things really just the immune system reacting in a relatively unique way to the general presence of the virus throughout the body?

Hip

Is it possible to culture or even detect HSV1 in the discharge from a cold sore? Or are these things really just the immune system reacting in a relatively unique way to the general presence of the virus throughout the body?

I don't know myself, but Dr Google will probably be able to tell you.

Wishful

What works for me is heat. I first noticed it when holding a bit of chicken soup over the sore while eating. Coffee and tea work too. The sore typically starts shrinking within a day or two. There are more convenient ways of applying heat to a cold sore, so figure out what works for you. I'm not sure what temperature is optimum, but definitely below painful.

I think the heat works the same as a fever, with the virus not replicating efficiently at elevated temperature. Note that cold sores tend to form at below body temperature. Lips will be below normal body temperature, especially when it's cold and windy outside. Licking your lips cools them even more. I'm guessing that the herpes virus has an optimum growth temperature at 'chilled lips' temperature.

I have had a cold sore for over a week on my lip.

It is too late now, but you can get lysine in the form of a topical cream. My wife uses this when she first notices an outbreak and it will stop it within a day or two. Taking lysine supplements during the winter will also work.

Misfit Toy

I have wickedly high EBV titers. My doc is always in shock. I am not sure if that causes a cold sore, but when I first had EBV, that was my very first symptom.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
I get the sores in my mouth, so, don't know if what helps get rid of those is useful for getting rid of sores on the lips.

My main supplements for the sores: Quantum Super Lysine, Immune Support. The tablets seem to work better for me than the capsules. I take as many as needed, for as long as needed. The tablets contain: Vitamin C, Calcium, Lysine, Garlic, Echinacea, Propolis, and Licorice Root. Zinc helps too. These are in addition to the many supplements in my daily protocol.