• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How carnivore diet relates to treatment

GreenEdge

Wouldn't eggs be similar or even superior? Muscle cells might not have all the building blocks for making brain cells or liver cells, but eggs obviously do.
Yes, eggs are superior to meat. There is much variation in nutrition quality, but on average 1-2 eggs will provide your RDI amounts for all 9 essential amino acids. The amino acid profile is like a perfect match for our requirements.

Eggs also contain IGF-1 (insulin growth factor 1) - It's a growth signal to the body:
- that's great if your ketogenic - because your body is in fat burning mode, you will grow muscle.
- but bad if you drop out of ketosis or have normal glucose metabolism - because you're in fat storage mode.
- Also, that's good if your growing or pregnant, but bad otherwise - because it will promote cancer growth.

BTW. Carnivore diet cures cancer-:wide-eyed:, while "standard of care" continues to kill people with chemo and radiation. :jaw-drop:

GreenEdge

I tied the carnivore diet (only eating animal) for 8 weeks. It didn't affect my fatigue much, but there was one surprising benefit that relates to treatment. Supplements/medication that would normally make me feel tired no longer did. So it might enable some of you to tolerate supplements you usually can't.
Yes, hasn't affected my fatigue much either, but I do recover quicker from exercise. :)

So why don't we get great results (from zero carb + carnivore diet = lion diet), like other people with poor metabolic health? What nutrient are we missing?

The only nutrient of concern is vitamin B1 (Thiamine); a meat only diet does not provide much. The only time thiamine supplementation has helped me, has been when my symptoms became more like dry Beriberi - if true?

This nutrition therapist is experienced in treating thiamine deficiency - he says you need to mega dose to stimulate the enzymes needed to recover. To reach that mega dose, he says start low and increase dose until your symptoms get worse; then stay at that dose until your symptoms resolve. And, he says supplement with thiamine derivatives (more bio-available forms of thiamine), especially those that can get past the blood brain barrier like benfotiamine or ttfd (thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide).

Last night, I took a multi-B vitamin and today some skin sores have appeared. I will stay at this dose until it resolves.

Last edited:

GreenEdge

Have you come across any app/resources to check food amino acids composition?
Our best sources are searchable government databases:
U.S. Dept. Agriculture:
- Search Foods in FoodData Central
- DRI Calculator for Healthcare ProfessionalsQuote

Food Standards Australia:
- Search Australian Food Composition Database - Release 2.0

See: other nutrition data sources

I know only this one but I would like more features. E.g. what food should I add to make the aminos more balanced.
I don't know of any that provide the feature you're looking for.
I have often used this one: nutritionvalue.org

Has anyone found other websites worth mentioning?

Wishful

If we couldn't get everything we needed from meat alone, humans would have gone extinct long ago.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/04/230413154245.htm

It's about how our distant ancestors might have evolved on a fruit + leaves diet during one period. Primates seem pretty flexible about diets, so our evolution has probably gone through several quite different diets, giving us genes and structures for living healthily on various quite different diets. There may be an optimum diet for a given individual, but probably not one for humans in general.

Wishful

I was thinking more about optimum diet, and the question arose: "optimum for what?" There might be a diet that makes us feel happier than other diets, but that doesn't guarantee that it's optimum for all functions of the body. One diet might be optimal for avoiding early heart failure, but sub-optimal for avoiding early cancer, or Alzheimer's or tooth decay. Just for ME, you might find a diet that is optimum for temporarily reducing one or more symptoms, but might be sub-optimal for reducing other symptoms or the risk of severe crashes.

I think it comes down to which diet you are happiest with overall. We don't know what the long-term effects might be, so it's just what seems best for now.

Eastman

@Nielk
This study is on patients with traumatic brain injury, so not sure of its relevance to you.

Prevention of traumatic headache, dizziness and fatigue with creatine administration. A pilot study

Abstract

Aim

The complex pathobiology of traumatic brain injury (TBI) offers numerous targets for potential neuroprotective agents. We evaluate the clinical benefit after creatine (Cr) administration in children and adolescents

Methods

A prospective, randomized, comparative, open- labelled pilot study of the possible neuroprotective effect of Cr was carried out on 39 children and adolescents, aged between 1 and 18 years of age, with TBI. The Cr was administered for 6 months, at a dose of 0.4 g/kg in an oral suspension form every day. For categorical variables, we used the Chi-square test to identify differences between controls and cases. Statistical significance was defined as a p-value < 0.05 and not statistically significant if p-value > 0.1.

Results

The administration of Cr to children and adolescents with TBI improved results in several parameters, including duration of post traumatic amnesia (PTA), duration of intubation, intensive care unit stay. Significant improvement was recorded in the categories of headache (p < 0.001), dizziness (p = 0.005) and fatigue (p < 0.001), aspects in all patients. No side effects were seen due to Cr administration.

Conclusion

More specific examinations including brain spectroscopy for in vivo evaluation of Cr can be done, in order to draw conclusions for the optimal duration and manner of Cr supply, as well as its possible role for the prevention of TBI complications, in double blind studies.

Chris Palmer is a Harvard psychiatrist who advocates the ketogenic diet for mental health issues. He claims to have patients with severe schizophrenia who were put into remission with this diet.

On a podcast, he said that it seems to normally take about 4-6 months before big effects are evident in symptoms.

I see a lot of people say they tried keto or carnivore for a month or two, and nothing happened, so they stopped. It's possible that a lot of people with other conditions would see effects if they stuck with it.

Rufous McKinney

to an agrarian one
storable carbohydrates helped also....originally gathered and stored, later figure out how to modify the landscape to grow more of it.

when Polynesian-types got into their boats and headed across the Pacific to parts unknown, they carried with them a storable carbohydrate. That enabled them to grow that plant later on. Different islands, different storable carbohydrates. (think taro, breadfruit, others...)

Acorns in the back of the cave

dry lily bulbs....collected months before...