• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How are you guys getting testing during the COVID restrictions?

Jwarrior77

I'm getting closer and closer to finding some of the root causes of my illnesses however everywhere you go they are not allowing testing or scans that they deem as non-essential. I need crucial blood tests and MRI scans and it seems like there will be nothing open anytime soon. My fear is that when they do open things back up again there will be a huge back log of people needing to get their own scans done soon which will further delay treatment and testing who knows how long. How are you guys doing during this time. It's also harder to get doctors appointments as everything is virtual now.

Rufous McKinney

How are you guys doing during this time. It's also harder to get doctors appointments as everything is virtual now.

I had several lab tests and a neurology referral, and I've not pursued any of it presently. Maybe I could get it done but I don't know. Just don't want to visit Quest Diagnostics. My friends complicated dental procedure is not going well and thats: suspended.

My husband has- eight eye procedures that were to occur this year and no progress has occurred. He still has a surgery date end of May...he is supposed to check back- unclear if it will happen.

lenora

Hi Rufous.....Yes, your husband's eye procedure may be put off for awhile; or it may not. It depends on how the next two weeks will go for us as a country, whether or not the worst of it is behind us. I do hope your husband gets his eye surgery. I know how frustrating it is to wait and wait.

Insofar as the lab tests, your friendly Internist may be the best one. Have your other doctors contact him/her, usually by phone or patient portal, requesting what they need, and they'll be done (unless there's internal fighting). We were once told by a Doctor at a hospital that the lab tests were the cheapest of all and to have them done regularly. That person turned out to be quite correct. I have an appt. next week for my bi-weekly tests, with plenty of additions to them.

Also, going to a doctor's office during this isn't much fun at all. All the noise going on behind those masks is really quite alarming. I just try to exercise by walking up and down the hallway. Good luck.

Rufous McKinney

I just try to exercise by walking up and down the hallway.

Our laundry is down stairs...outside...shared at the apartment complex. So just doing a load is a nice bit of activity for me. As long as I'm not too tired.

I do get VERY tired and just weak. Its ok as long as I don't- contemplate it much!

Gosh, if my doctor is wearing a mask, I would be so shocked. I should call and at least check in. They are probably not letting hardly anybody into the building. I do really like my doctor and would love to chat with him on all this.

Zebra

Hi @Jwarrior77

I have had two specialized lab tests and two MRIs at a local hospital during the shelter in place order in my county and state.

Hospitals are still open and the MRI tech and phlebotomist were wearing all the necessary PPE to protect themselves.

I suggest making arrangements to have your imaging and lab work done at a nearby hospital, rather than outpatient clinics, which may not be open at this time.

Z