• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

House of Commons Full Debate on ME next Thursday 24th January 2019

Countrygirl

The House of Commons debate on ME has been granted for next Thursday afternoon, 24th of January.

The substantive motion for the debate MP Carol Monaghan has secured is:

“That this House calls on the Government to provide increased funding for biomedical research into the diagnosis and treatment of ME, supports the suspension of Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as means of treatment, supports updated training of GPs and medical professionals to ensure they are equipped with clear guidance on diagnosis of ME and appropriate management advice to reflect international consensus on best practice, and is concerned about the current trends of subjecting ME families to unjustified child protection procedures.”

http://investinme.org/IIMER-Newslet-190103PDEB.shtml

The Debate Is Over - Inaction for ME Is Not An Option
GIVE ME PATIENTS A FUTURE

A parliamentary debate in the main chamber has been arranged for 24th January 2019.

The person responsible for getting all of this started is a supporter of IiMER, and a constituent of SNP MP Carol Monaghan.

The supporter wishes to remain anonymous but deserves thanks from everyone interested in this debate.

This new debate follows a previous parliamentary debate held in June 2018 on the PACE Trial that had been secured by Scottish Nationalist Party (SNP) member of parliament Carol Monaghan.

The debate is entitled -

“That this House calls on the Government
to provide increased funding for biomedical research into the diagnosis and treatment of ME,
supports the suspension of Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as means of treatment,
supports updated training of GPs and medical professionals to ensure they are equipped with clear guidance on diagnosis of ME and appropriate management advice to reflect international consensus on best practice,
and is concerned about the current trends of subjecting ME families to unjustified child protection procedures.”

We invite people to ask their MP to contact Invest in ME Research or to contact their MP themselves - one can find one's MP via this link.

We have made documents below to help with this debate.

The following documents may be useful and contain status documents from the charity.

Debate January 2019
A document covering some of the issues relating to the parliamentary debate on 24th January 2019
A one page summary of recommendations is here

Status of ME 2018
The status document from 2018 from the charity is here

Executive Summary
An Executive Summary for MPs and Others - - has been produced which describes the Centre of Excellence proposal and development status.

The debate is able to be seen live beginning from 09.30 am UK time on 24th January 2019.
At this site https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/d7401af9-0971-4d2c-a875-a9170495bd8b?agenda=True

Going Forward
A five-year, ring-fenced budget of £20 million per year for biomedical research into ME should be allocated.

Funding for the Centre of Excellence for ME that the charity has been facilitating the development of for the last eight years.

Stretched

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/2019/01/invite-your-mp-parliamentary-debate/

Just found this page with an email template for sending to MP's on the ME association website :nerd:

Great news from here in US. I’m not up on UK procedures but in US you can get email contacts for representatives/senators in congress - to send your POV, certainly some member committees. Maybe you could initiate some mass contact to House of Commons members, with a short template appeal for the above PWME cause? Does @cirrus post above address this; otherwise, maybe the solvecfs.org has some sort of email list or
tweet target and resources to help get an urgent message together for Thursday?

Last edited:

Hip

I've just sent the following email to my local MP. If anyone wants to copy this email to send to their MP, please be my guest.

As @cirrus pointed out above, you can easily find your MP's email HERE, just by entering your postcode.

So it just takes a couple of minutes to send this email to your local MP.

Please vote on Thur 24 Jan in the House of Commons Full Debate on ME
Dear XXXX

As a patient with the very debilitating disease myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) — a disease woefully neglected by the medical profession and wrongly viewed and trivialised by many as being merely "all in the mind" — I would kindly ask that you vote on Thursday 24 January in support of the motion proposed by SNP MP Carol Monaghan, which is the following motion:

"That this House calls on the Government to provide increased funding for biomedical research into the diagnosis and treatment of ME, supports the suspension of Graded Exercise Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as means of treatment, supports updated training of GPs and medical professionals to ensure they are equipped with clear guidance on diagnosis of ME and appropriate management advice to reflect international consensus on best practice, and is concerned about the current trends of subjecting ME families to unjustified child protection procedures."

This debate will take place in the House of Commons on Thursday 24 January 2019, at 2.00pm I believe.

Carol Monaghan previously led two Westminster Hall debates on ME in 2018 (in February and June).

Here is a very brief parliamentary briefing on the neglected disease ME.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Last edited:

bertiedog

I've just sent the following email to my local MP. If anyone wants to copy this email to send to their MP, please be my guest.

As @cirrus pointed out above, you can easily find your MP's email HERE, just by entering your postcode.

So it just takes a couple of minutes to send this email to your local MP.

Thanks Hip, I have just emailed my MP, Craig Mackinley. To be honest I know its a complete waste of time in my case because he is a useless MP only interested in a no deal Brexit. I'll say no more other than with MPs like him our future is pretty hopeless.

Pam