• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hormones, HRT and Estriol

LisaGoddard

Does anyone have experience of the effect of HRT hormones on their ME?
  • I stopped my HRT medication (Femoston conti) earlier in the year because it was causing facial cysts.
  • I found amazingly that my ME/CFS improved
  • When I tried other oestrogen-progesterone HRT combinations, or estradiol (oestrogen) and progesterone on their own, all of them worsened my ME
  • I won't be going back on HRT! As I'm through my perimenopause (so fully menopausal) it seems good time to stop
Estriol???
  • Without the HRT, however, my skin which is photodamaged became unbearably dehydrated and began aging rapidly
  • So I've been using an estriol cream (about 0.4mg nightly max) for my skin
  • I've found it really helps my ME - more energy, better sleep and clearer mind
  • I feel as though the estriol raises my blood pressure (which is always low due to inherited conditionand I also get POTS symptoms
  • I did notice however that at higher doses I feel even better but my lymph nodes get a bit painful. Could this be detox?
Note Estriol is the 'pregnancy' hormone, and it has been used as a therapy for MS, and other autoimmunes

I'll be going to get my hormone levels checked, but wonder if anyone has experience they can share?

LisaGoddard

That's i
thank you for sharing,

up to now, the best HRT that I tried is tibolone.:thumbsup:

That's interesting. I did ask my doctor about trying Tibolone but they didn't take me up.
Did you find that it helped in terms of your ME, or your skin, or both??
Let me. I have a phone appointment with my doctor today.

pattismith

That's i

That's interesting. I did ask my doctor about trying Tibolone but they didn't take me up.
Did you find that it helped in terms of your ME, or your skin, or both??
Let me. I have a phone appointment with my doctor today.

It helped me with my ME, not sure for the skin.
However, my gyneclogist had warned me, after some weeks the uterus starts bleeding.
It happened (and with the bleeding were back the pain and many symptoms, it was very similar to my usual dysmenorrhea) , so I had to stop Tibolone and restart with a smaller dose.
I tryed to add some Estradiol gel but it was very bad for my skin, maybe Estriol will do better for me,
thanks again for sharing your experience

Nico

I found this discussion because I'm struggling with certain aspects of early menopause. (I'm 54, last period was around March maybe). Big things like low mood and concentration, increased heart activity. Do get hot flashes, but they aren't too bad atm. I've also developed a new thing: very cold feet even though my body temp is warm/normal. I emailed my new GP about starting HRT as I've learned it can have a lot of protective properties. It just feels so complicated because of MECFS. I haven't been to an in person gyn or GP appt in years, also due to the pandemic. I tried progesterone cream a couple of years ago, but found that I felt depressed the next day. Like most of us, I'm really sensitive to medications.

Does anyone have experience of the effect of HRT hormones on their ME?
  • I stopped my HRT medication (Femoston conti) earlier in the year because it was causing facial cysts.
  • I found amazingly that my ME/CFS improved
  • When I tried other oestrogen-progesterone HRT combinations, or estradiol (oestrogen) and progesterone on their own, all of them worsened my ME
  • I won't be going back on HRT! As I'm through my perimenopause (so fully menopausal) it seems good time to stop
Estriol???
  • Without the HRT, however, my skin which is photodamaged became unbearably dehydrated and began aging rapidly
  • So I've been using an estriol cream (about 0.4mg nightly max) for my skin
  • I've found it really helps my ME - more energy, better sleep and clearer mind
  • I feel as though the estriol raises my blood pressure (which is always low due to inherited conditionand I also get POTS symptoms
  • I did notice however that at higher doses I feel even better but my lymph nodes get a bit painful. Could this be detox?
Note Estriol is the 'pregnancy' hormone, and it has been used as a therapy for MS, and other autoimmunes

I'll be going to get my hormone levels checked, but wonder if anyone has experience they can share?

Curious about trying an estriol cream, is what you use a prescription or just over the counter? Progesterone cream alone makes me sleep non stop and dizzy. Pregnancy by second trimester (when estriol kicks in) puts me into remission.

LisaGoddard

Curious about trying an estriol cream, is what you use a prescription or just over the counter? Progesterone cream alone makes me sleep non stop and dizzy. Pregnancy by second trimester (when estriol kicks in) puts me into remission.

Sorry I haven't been online. I used an estriol cream from Life-flo which I purchased from iHerb without prescription. My HRT and estriol experience was a while ago, and I had to stop using it. I think (but can't quite remember now) that it was causing lymph node pain and flu feeling - which I get with anything immune boosting or immune modulating. The modulating type usually work for a little bit and then make me feel ill. THe immune boosting ones make me feel immediately very ill. Sorry this is so late!!
Link below for the estriol
https://uk.iherb.com/search?kw=estriol