• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hopeful news

Shoshana

Northern USA
Thank you for posting this, @Sidney

It seems an excellent article. I have read the first parts of it, so far.

It is encouraging at the least, that additional doctors are realizing that their past guesses and beliefs about CFS/ME were sorely lacking and incorrect, and not helpful to suffering patients,
and some of them are at least trying to catch up to current information, and to disseminate that.

I haven't been able to read it all at once, so I realize now, that I have not yet seen the disclaimer. :rolleyes:

So who knows, when I get to the disclaimer at the end, I might take back all thse positive comments I just made.
:confused:o_O:aghhh:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Sidney, I read about this some months ago - it is encouraging. One thing that is really amazing is how forthright Dr. Olson is - apparently he wants the truth and is not interested in making excuses!

What fascinates me is that this condition has been so mismanaged throughout medicine. What’s the sociology behind this? How did we remain ignorant for so long? We have made well-meaning recommendations that were harmful. I can say that; it’s the truth. There is no evidence that this is a primary psychiatric illness, and it’s not related to deconditioning at all. And so the treatments we have been advising aren’t the appropriate treatments.
https://www.berkeleywellness.com/he...ail&utm_term=0_3ddd6463e7-a2262ee211-95392977

Rufous McKinney

@Sidney, I read about this some months ago - it is encouraging. One thing that is really amazing is how forthright Dr. Olson is - apparently he wants the truth and is not interested in making excuses!

Thanks for posting this...I read this a while back....and it lead me to try to push my own Insurance Company.....which is not THIS one.

It seems that month later I got nowhere with my little campaign. It also made me wonder about Kaiser Permanente in SOUTHERN California: this person is in the north.

My insurance told me they know nothing about: the Specialities of Doctors. Like if they had doctors with MECFS expertise, it seems they would not care to know any of that. And it doesn;t work to talk to the folks who Person the Telephones. They don't know anything.

It took SIX calls by my Doctor to reach: the DENIER at my insurance.. Six layers and thats the DOCTOR calling. All layers we pay these employees who aren't doctors or nurses or anything.

Sidney

Thank you for posting this, @Sidney

It seems an excellent article. I have read the first parts of it, so far.

It is encouraging at the least, that additional doctors are realizing that their past guesses and beliefs about CFS/ME were sorely lacking and incorrect, and not helpful to suffering patients,
and some of them are at least trying to catch up to current information, and to disseminate that.

I haven't been able to read it all at once, so I realize now, that I have not yet seen the disclaimer. :rolleyes:

So who knows, when I get to the disclaimer at the end, I might take back all thse positive comments I just made.
:confused:o_O:aghhh:
Thank you Lisa! It does seem intelligent, not just looking for a catchy story.
Disclaimer doesn’t amount to much - maybe the Wellness Letter always puts it at the end???
. The opinions in this interview do not necessarily reflect the views of the UC Berkeley School of Public Health or of the Editorial Board at BerkeleyWellness.com.

Sidney

Thanks, @Mary and @Rufous McKinney: I didn’t realise that my email version of the Berkeley Wellness arrives in the UK months later than the paper does in California!

Having read PR for years, I was very surprised when I returned to the UK only 10 months ago: I’d been dreading new medical hurdles; but no doctor, NHS or private, has queried me once about having ME - so far, just sympathy, just saying how awful it must be , having ME along with ( whatever I was seeing them for) not much problem with prescriptions. I had some heavy surgery last September and the head recovery room nurse was super sympathetic, said she had it too, could only work a few hours a week.
Anecdotal Evidence.