• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Honey for sleep

The article you linked to seems like fake science to me: building a major claim from a small actual difference. It claims that honey is best because it's glucose/fructose level is ideal for the liver. Well, 38/32 is pretty close to ordinary sugar 50/50, so it doesn't seem like it should have a major effect. Similarly, they make a fuss about the insulin->sleep bit, but the article (scientific, peer-reviewed) I linked to shows that it's an insignificant effect. Health magazines have goals other than good science.

If the honey you are presently using works for you, great. If it stops working, or if you can't get that brand anymore, you might want to try to find out what component of that honey is causing the effect. Testing glucose/fructose is easy. If it's some component of the blossoms visited, it could be a long search.

@Wishful I really have no idea of the science behind using honey and why it works. I only know that it definitely works for me. It has completely eradicated my insomnia symptoms. It doesn't matter what kind of honey or brand of honey I use. I am currently using my third brand. I buy whatever is available at the store where I am at to buy it. I have also used the crystallized honey and that works as well. As long as it is raw and unfiltered honey. I no longer have to worry about lying in bed all night and on nights when I am wide awake before going to bed I don't have to worry about not sleeping. I take the honey, go to bed and within minutes I am asleep. Not only that, the sleep is so deep, deeper than I have had in years. When I wake up I don't even know what day it is or what is going on in my life. I have to think about it for a while to bring myself back to being awake. I also have been having some good dreams. Definitely this beats not getting any sleep or having to take a long list of pills. There are many websites that describe the benefits of honey and there is a youtube video by Dr. Ron Fessenden where he gives a lecture on it and also a website where he talks about it at https://www.livinghoney.biz/the-honey-revolution.html. Actually the remedy I am using is from a person that listed a sleep remedy she uses at Earthclinic.com. She said it worked, I had nothing to lose so I tried it and I am so happy that I did. I simply don't care why or how it works. I just know that for me it does.

I read this post yesterday, gathered my great honeys not-yet-finished, enough for the Cup (Aseda wild from Africa, Dr. Mercola's raw, and a bit of Manuka, put in the 2 TSP of acv, and waited until about 15 minutes before bedtime. I then took a couple of small licks to test it, and it was so powerful as to be almost too much --->head spinning, etc

So I waited another 15 minutes and repeated the process as before. Same result.
I'm not certain if it's the power of those extraordinary honeys, 'or if it's just too much sugar' (?) , even though I reduced the volume consumed. It was either too strong or too sweet for my personal limit.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic.

@5150 There are many websites that list the benefits of honey and it is not necessary to use the recipe that I am using. I got it from Earthclinic.com and decided to try it and it happened to work. I also don't find the taste very appealing and it is certainly strong but it works and I'd rather put up with the taste than stay awake all night. https://www.livinghoney.biz/the-honey-revolution.html gives a lot of information about the benefits of honey and it is the website for Dr. Ron Fessenden who also has a youtube video describing the benefits of honey. Some remedies I have seen call for using only a little bit of honey mixed with coconut oil. 1 tsp of coconut oil to 1/4 tsp of honey. I tried this as well and it also worked but I really can't stand taking coconut oil and it literally made me nauseous and it upset my stomach quite a bit. Plain honey is okay but for some reason this one poster said to use ACV with the honey so that is what I am using. I have no idea why I have to use ACV but it works and that is all I care about.

jesse's mom

@horselover , I am sold! I am going to try honey.:) I ordered raw unfiltered honey from Texas as I am mostly housebound.

I like the idea of what Dr. Ron Fessenden is talking about. His book indeed has many references to published studies and I love the idea of my daughter and I taking honey at night, it really can't hurt! I have also been trying to get ACV down my throat without vomiting, :depressed:the taste is so horrible to me! Do you think that the honey disguises the taste of the ACV?

When I was working I took a teaspoon of peanut butter when I was about to go to sleep and I had forgotten about that completely!

Thank you for the post! I do think it will be helpful to some people:hug:

@5150 There are many websites that list the benefits of honey and it is not necessary to use the recipe that I am using. I got it from Earthclinic.com and decided to try it and it happened to work. I also don't find the taste very appealing and it is certainly strong but it works and I'd rather put up with the taste than stay awake all night. https://www.livinghoney.biz/the-honey-revolution.html gives a lot of information about the benefits of honey and it is the website for Dr. Ron Fessenden who also has a youtube video describing the benefits of honey. Some remedies I have seen call for using only a little bit of honey mixed with coconut oil. 1 tsp of coconut oil to 1/4 tsp of honey. I tried this as well and it also worked but I really can't stand taking coconut oil and it literally made me nauseous and it upset my stomach quite a bit. Plain honey is okay but for some reason this one poster said to use ACV with the honey so that is what I am using. I have no idea why I have to use ACV but it works and that is all I care about.

I think the kind of honey used in the way it's described here is the key.
That Aseda from africa was just way strong , and it acted as an "upper" so to speak... one tiny sip and it was like 3 cups of caffeine coffee! Haven't used Manuka (by itself) but am thinking, next.// a clean unpasteurized local honey should be just fine.