• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Homozygous Mutations in NDUFS7: What Does This Mean?

grapes

You misunderstand how SNPs work. They are part of the gene structure. If the gene is expressed then so is the SNP. From birth to death this does not change.

Your symptoms could be worsening for all kinds of reasons

Hi Alicec. Yes, I agree that symptoms could be worsening for all kinds of reasons. I'm just expressing curiosity if this is one reason.

As far as your first comment, want to be sure I get what you are saying? As I understand it, a snip is a "variation" within a specific area (base) on the gene. And this variation explains the risk to have a certain problem. So in your last sentence, I am confused. When this gene works right, it's helping break down B3. But in me, there appears to be a high risk it's not working right. Are you saying it wasn't working right in infancy either and wouldn't have been all these years??

Last edited:

alicec

a snip is a "variation" within a specific area (base) on the gene.

Yes a SNP - single nucleotide polymorphism - is a change in a single letter of the genetic code. You are born with this variation - it is a permanent part of your DNA, something which never changes.

When this gene works right, it's helping break down B3. But in me, there appears to be a high risk it's not working right. Are you saying it wasn't working right in infancy either and wouldn't have been all these years??

Yes the variant is a permanent part of your DNA and exerts its effect throughout life.

This applies to all SNPs but you need to understand that just because a variant exists doesn't mean there is any consequence. Most variants have no effect. The ones being discussed in this thread are probably in this category since there is no research showing any effect and they are extremely common. 1 in 5 people are +/+ - so the SNPs do not cause disease.

These particular SNPs would not be doing anything different from the wildtype or ancestral gene - they are not causing problems.

You are likely to have other SNPs which do have some effect on the protein produced by the variant gene. This effect would always be present - as I said, from birth to death.

Most commonly, these effects are small and the body can usually cope, unless increased demands are made on the system.

Some variants are beneficial, the variant has a protective effect.

Rarely a SNP can have very serious consequences, such as when it completely interferes with production of the protein product of the gene. This results in disease and would be a pathogenic SNP.

grapes

Most commonly, these effects are small and the body can usually cope, unless increased demands are made on the system.

OK, that is the issue that I wonder about, because I did have increased demands on my system two years ago. I had seriously high copper that was causing increasing issues for months and months before I realized what they meant. When I figured it out via testing, and started to detox, there was evidence that the copper had already "damaged" my mito (my guess), because the detox was quite hard on me, energy-wise. Harder than I've seen other go through. Now my mito is a mess, as clearly revealed by testing.

Some variants are beneficial, the variant has a protective effect.

The NDUSF7 gene has a protective effect??

alicec

The NDUSF7 gene has a protective effect

The protein made by the gene is essential for normal mitochondrial function.

I was talking in general about SNPs and said that some variants can be protective. In other words, DNA changes are not necessarily bad as many people believe. Many are neutral, some can be good.

In the case of the NDUSF7 variants being discussed in this thread, the effect is neutral - no different from having the wildtype or ancestral gene.

These variants would not be contributing to your health problems.

I'm curious if anyone has an update on if they found out anymore about their polymorphisms in this gene??

Again, I'm seeing if anone has an update from starting Ubiquinol or Co-!Q10? I have 5 red NDUF7 according to Livewello, and wondering if I need to do anything.