• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

histamine receptor cheatsheet - questions re H4

ebethc

I'm putting together a histamine receptor cheatsheet... I'm especially interested in histamine receptor 4 (H4)... Is there any supplement or drug besides culturelle (l rhamosus GG) that affects this receptor? eg downregulates it in order to reduce inflammation...

ps copied this out of evernote and the formatting is is weird.. sorry

==
main source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697784/
  • Histamine H1 receptors: Smooth muscle and endothelial cells affecting skin & blood vessels
    • effects: vascular permeability, bronchoconstriction, platelet aggregation
    • counter effect agents: Benadryl, Claritin, Xyzal (levocetirizine) block activity of these receptors
  • Histamine H2 receptors: Cells in the intestines control acid secretion, abdominal pain, and nausea; heart rate
    • effects: heart rate & cardiac output; gastric secretion
    • counter effect agents: Pepcid, Tagamet, Zantac

• Histamine H3 receptors: Central nervous system controlling nerves, sleep, appetite and behavior
    • effects: neurotransmission
    • counter effect agents: TBD

• Histamine H4 receptors: Thymus, small intestine, spleen, colon, bone marrow and white blood cells; inflammatory response
Multiple Receptors w the same or similar effects
  • Histamine H1/H2/H4 receptors:
    • effects: chemokine & cytokine production (up AND down)

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I'm especially interested in histamine receptor 4 (H4)... Is there any supplement or drug besides culturelle (l rhamosus GG) that affects this receptor?

I do not know the answer but I had thought that my MCAS doctor said that there are only H1 and H2 blockers at this time but not any H3 or H4 blockers. But I might have asked him this question as far back as 2015 and there are new things in the works that I do not know about. What is culturelle? Is it a probiotic?

Gingergrrl

Thanks and I will look at this more closely later. Are you saying this particular probiotic is an H4 blocker?

I have tried various probiotics in the past but have not taken any since 2015. I had heard the best probiotic for MCAS was Align (Bifido Infantis) but I don't know if this is really proven.

ebethc

Thanks and I will look at this more closely later. Are you saying this particular probiotic is an H4 blocker?

I have tried various probiotics in the past but have not taken any since 2015. I had heard the best probiotic for MCAS was Align (Bifido Infantis) but I don't know if this is really proven.

align and l plantarum (jarrow ideal bowel, etc) break down histamine

l rhamnosus gg (culturelle) downregulates histamine receptors, and increases anti-inflammatory cytokines... I looked for the reference last night but couldn't find it (I think I may have deleted that evernote by accident!)... couple of years ago, one of the things that I did wrong was going down the probiotic path, b/c I was listening to the conventional wisdom and taking a broad spectrum.. Of course, now I know that this is wrong for me b/c some probiotics cause increased histamine... I did a ton of research and settle on those 3 probiotics b/c of histamine...

one footnote: SBO's (soil based organisms) are histamine neutral... they did a great job killing gut infections, which I used to get all the time, but they made me tired, so they're not on my list anymore... Plus, they're expensive and harder to find these days..fyi

ebethc

@Gingergrrl

Oh, I just saw that the reference was there all along! Look below the culturelle (in red) line in the cheatsheet...

Here's the study again:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3042653/

AIM: To investigate the effects of four probiotic bacteria and their combination on human mast cell gene expression using microarray analysis.

RESULTS: LGG (aka culturelle) and Lc705 were observed to suppress genes that encoded allergy-related high-affinity IgE receptor subunits α and γ (FCER1A and FCER1G, respectively) and histamine H4 receptor. LGG, Lc705 and the combination of four probiotics had the strongest effect on the expression of genes involved in mast cell immune system regulation, and on several genes that encoded proteins with a pro-inflammatory impact, such as interleukin (IL)-8 and tumour necrosis factor alpha. Also genes that encoded proteins with anti-inflammatory functions, such as IL-10, were upregulated.

CONCLUSION: Certain probiotic bacteria might diminish mast cell allergy-related activation by downregulation of the expression of high-affinity IgE and histamine receptor genes, and by inducing a pro-inflammatory response.

==2nd reference ... this doc has a more detailed H1/H2/H3/H4 reference guide than the one I provided above (see chart 1)....

H4 is the only receptor that is linked to mast cells
http://www.scielo.br/pdf/abd/v85n2/en_10.pdf

--
ALSO interesting: H2 receptor linked to low stomach acid and low NK cell activity.. which is interesting to me b/c I have low function for both, and so much of MCAS is focused on LOWERING stomach acid via Zantac, etc.... I wonder why I have the opposite problem..
  • H2 – stimulates nasal and intestinal mucosa, relaxes the LES, increases vascular permeability, stimulation of suppressor T cells, increases stomach acid production, reduces neutrophil and basophil function, increases lymphocytes, increases activity of NK cells.

Last edited: