• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hillary Johnson on Chicago Tribune and Autism One conference

Tammie

love this quote by Hillary re Trine's article & subsequent online chat.....

"..... in Trines noon-time chat with readers undertaken a few days after she posted her story. I was struck that during this little chat she expressed her surprise at learning, since writing her story, that CFS was as debilitating a disease as patients were now telling her it was. Frankly, if you dont even understand what this disease is and what it does to peopleif that takes you by surprise after your story has been relayed to millions of readersmy dear, you shouldnt be writing about it."

[Italics and bold are mine]

V99

Thanks for the link Frickly. Always learn something from Hilary.

dannybex

"..... in Trine’s noon-time chat with readers undertaken a few days after she posted her story. I was struck that during this little chat she expressed her surprise at learning, since writing her story, that “CFS” was as debilitating a disease as patients were now telling her it was. Frankly, if you don’t even understand what this disease is and what it does to people—if that takes you by surprise after your story has been relayed to millions of readers—my dear, you shouldn’t be writing about it."

So in the end, maybe it's a good thing. Perhaps...maybe not as soon as we'd like...but perhaps Trine will actually write a follow-up piece that reflects the truth of the situation. ???

Tammie

wouldn't an accurate follow up be nice?

I read thru the chat and Trine did say that this is a possibility, but I will believe it when I see it

V99

I would be surprised if she is willing or able to find out the truth.

"..... in Trine’s noon-time chat with readers undertaken a few days after she posted her story. I was struck that during this little chat she expressed her surprise at learning, since writing her story, that “CFS” was as debilitating a disease as patients were now telling her it was. Frankly, if you don’t even understand what this disease is and what it does to people—if that takes you by surprise after your story has been relayed to millions of readers—my dear, you shouldn’t be writing about it."

My sentiments exactly...

muffin

Johnson nailed Trine so bad that IF I were Trine I would indeed go back to writing about food. Of course I sent Johnson's blog off to Trine so that she can see what a real researcher/reporter thinks about her. Trine should read what Johnson wrote and learn from what she said. Yet another idiot writing about something they know nothing about. Oh Trine. You got your butt kicked so hard by someone that can kick a butt and kill a career...sooo not good for Trine.

Email Trine at: ttsouderos@tribune.com

justinreilly

All I can say is: I LOVE HILLARY JOHNSON!

I too am smitten!

FWIW Left a comment on the blog:
Hillary,

Thank you for this great piece! Trine's piece certainly was inaccurate, as most press on ME is. I read that her sister is a scientist who has worked on autism or collaborated with CDC's autism researchers.
CAA's response to the story is predictable- they share their published view that van der Meer is a conscientious scientist casting legitimate doubt on the findings of the Lombardi paper.
CDC is now giving out tenofovir to HIV negative gay men in SF in an AIDS prophalyaxis study and Sax is saying it is so reckless for ME patients to take them? Good point that we don't know for sure more than two people- a doctor and daughter who are taking anti-retroviral and she is trying to cast it as some kind of hysterical mass drug binge!
It's all so sickening. Thanks for not letting them get away with this.