• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High pregnenolone

nsdn

Hi guys.

Since taking LDN my hormones are fine but recently I discovered high pregnenolone. Is that good or bad? I can not understand ...

Thanks!

preg.PNG

SlamDancin

It could mean that CYP11A1, which converts cholesterol into Pregnenelone is overactive. A full hormone panel might help to tell which steroidogenic pathways are activated and suppressed.

It could also mean Preg isn’t being sulfated into it’s main metabolite Preg Sulfate by sulfation enzymes.

Hip

I know very little about this hormone, so can't really comment.

I actually take pregnenolone as a supplement.

Hip

Thank you. @Hip Are your levels low?

I've have not been tested for pregnenolone, but I find low doses of pregnenolone (about 5 to 10 mg daily) strengthen the mind slightly, perhaps making me a little more resilient to stress.

If I take higher doses of say 50 mg daily then I notice I start to become a little aggressive (which I do not like). This is I think because pregnenolone converts to DHEA, and DHEA is known to increase aggression levels. SO this is why I use a low dose of pregnenolone.

pamojja

Never tested it myself. However, https://app.labtestanalyzer.com has the following entry for high pregnenolone (always check their references, to see if applicable)

Higher pregnenolone levels may be a sign that your body is having problems converting it into secondary sex hormones (such as testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone). This can cause problems with sexual function or development [R].

High pregnenolone can be caused by:
  • Pain [R]
  • Smoking marijuana (THC) [R]
  • Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (genetic disorder) [R]
Although there is not much clinical information on the consequences of high pregnenolone levels, people with high pregnenolone levels report experiencing:
  • Acne
  • Drowsiness
  • Anxiety
  • Heart problems
Address any existing underlying health issues!

Limit or eliminate marijuana use. THC (the primary active compound in marijuana) can boost pregnenolone synthesis in the brain, which may result in elevated levels [R].