• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High NK cells

Dmitri

This was part of a blood panel taken last month. First time, to my knowledge, that I ever had NK cells tested.

Both high and low counts are supposed to have an unclear association with autoimmune disease. Anyone else with high or low NK cells?

d51b61eaa6.png

prioris

I used Klimas test
I tested very low ... 4 (normal is considered 20 or above, healthy people average around 40. )
Generally low NK cell readings are frequently found in me/cfids.

how long have you had disease

Dmitri

I used Klimas test
I tested very low ... 4 (normal is considered 20 or above, healthy people average around 40. )
Generally low NK cell readings are frequently found in me/cfids.

how long have you had disease

Just to further clarify, was it low function or low numbers that your test results showed?

A follow-up test for NK function might provide something useful, with my marginal result on number. Is this one considered reliable? https://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/BUOrderInfo.action?tc=34184&labCode=SEA

charlie1

Low natural killer cell functioning/activity is found in ME/CFS. That's not the same as low numbers of natural killer cells.
@Hip I can use some clarification if don't mind sharing your take on this -
I just got my bloodwork back showing I have low number of Natural killer cells. As far as I know, I wasn't tested for activity/function. Also I have reactivation of EBV in 3 of the 4 areas of testing. It was the EBV VCA IgM that was non-reactive.
I'm a bit confused regarding the importance of those 2 findings. Are they in fact quite insignificant regarding possible treatment for symptoms of ME/CFS? I don't want to waste/time $ going down any rabbit holes....

Hip

Dr Lerner's criteria for active EBV in ME/CFS is high antibody levels in the VCA IgM and/or EA IgG diffuse tests. Other viruses linked to ME/CFS include CVB, echovirus, HHV-6 and CMV.

What does your doctor say about the low NK cell count?

charlie1

@Hip I don't think I was tested for HHV-6 or echovirus or CVB.. I don't have actual EBV titers (only titers given were <1:64 for Bartonell henselae). Also non reactive for CMV, borellia and other diseases.
Of everything tested, I am only 'reactive' to EBV EA IgG.

This is a new dr for me and my concern is that he wants further investigation into Lyme as that's what this clinic mostly deals with. He'd like to have bloodwork tested at Armin Labs (Germany) for tick born disease. I've read that many people go that route without success so I'm concerned about wasting time and money.
When I asked him about anti-virals, he said he can prescribe that for me but that only 2 of his patients with lab results similar to mine have gotten (completely better) using anti virals (Valtrex).

Can you clarify please, does having a low number of natural killer cells not account for much where ME/CFS symptoms are concerned?

Thx for your time with this!

Last edited: