• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High IGF-1?

This has been consistently high through my cfs years. Can anyone explain? It just doesn’t make much sense sense all my other hormone levels are normal, and I experience fatigue and muscle atrophy. Not sure why docs even test for it, because they ignore the number and have t been able to educate me on why so above normal. Thx for listening

joe

pamojja

This is what labtestanalyzer.com had to say about IGF-1:

IGF-1
Also known as:
Insulin-like growth factor 1

This test measures the amount of IGF-1 in the blood.

Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1) is a hormone that is similar in structure to insulin. It
works together with the growth hormone to reproduce and regenerate cells. In fact, growth
hormone, made by the pituitary gland, stimulates the liver to produce IGF-1. IGF-1
subsequently promotes growth and development. It is also important for strengthening
tissues (improving bone density, building muscle) and healing [R, R, R].

If it's importance for strenghtening tissues, higher levels with weakness would make prefectly sense.

Since GH is released into the blood in pulses throughout the day, it is difficult to interpret
the results from a single GH test. IGF-1 mirrors GH excesses and deficiencies, but unlike GH,
its level is stable throughout the day. This makes IGF-1 a useful indicator of average GH
levels. The IGF-1 test is therefore often used to help evaluate for GH deficiency or GH excess.

High IGF-1 can be caused by:

• GH-producing pituitary tumor (usually benign) [R]
• Pregnancy (this is normal) [R]

Symptoms of high IGF-1 associated with GH-producing tumors (acromegaly), include
[R]:

• Headache
• Sweating
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• Joint pain
• Deepening of the voice

If the condition is caused by an underlying disorder, seek medical attention.
Fasting and calorie restriction can help lower IGF-1 levels [R, R, R].

Increase the proportion of carbs in your diet. A higher proportion of carbohydrates is
associated with lower IGF-1 [R].

Restrict the amount of protein in your diet [R].

Lycopene found in tomatoes, guava, rosehip, watermelon, papaya, apricot, and pink
grapefruit can help decrease IGF-1 levels [R].

Supplements that can help:

• Royal jelly [R]
• Glucosamine [R]
• Luteolin [R]
• Curcumin [R]
• Resveratrol [R]
• Genistein [R]
• Apigenin [R, R]
• Lycopene [R]
• EGCG [R]
• Boron [R]

This is what labtestanalyzer.com had to say about IGF-1:

If it's importance for strenghtening tissues, higher levels with weakness would make prefectly sense.
Very helpful post!!! I will dig into all of that. Mae sense in that I do feel better on a high carb diet(which is opposite of the way I think). However I don’t understand one comment. You said “high igf1 with weakness would make perfect sense” I don’t get how you made that connection. If igf1 produces GH, wouldn’t be the opposite? Thx

joe

pamojja

You said “high igf1 with weakness would make perfect sense” I don’t get how you made that connection. If igf1 produces GH, wouldn’t be the opposite?

I concluded from quoted statement about IGF-1:

• It works together with the growth hormone to reproduce and regenerate cells.
  • It is also important for strengthening tissues (improving bone density, building muscle) and healing [R, R, R].

In that to reproduce, regenerate and strengthening is all what is important with weakness.

I know, but my body is doing the opposite of regenerate. High igf1 seems to be playing a role in the opposite(atrophy and weakness). Perhaps my brain if falling prey :)
Anyway, sorry to keep questioning...hoping I’m just not getting it. Thx

pamojja

I'll try again. The body is weak, the body tries to adjust by increasing whatever metabolic pathways it is able to regenerate and strengthen. However, at one point its not enough anymore, and a state of sickness prevails, despite the bodies efforts to heal itself (showing in the increased IGF-1).

pamojja

Not sure what else to do.

I actually used comprehensive lab testing to identify any body system out of order. In the assumption that a body with any system out of order wont be able to overcome chronic disases.

In my case I found almost all body systems out of order. Inflamation markers, glucose metabolism, liver and kidney enzyms, thyroid and other hormones, nutrient and mineral deficiencies, etc.

And by supplementing to improve each of those, I experienced remissions. It took years though. But you'll know what to do, and keeps you busy meanwhile.

Thx, I have done lots of lab work. All they have really found is low vitamin D and elevated IGF-1. Did you use a specific doc to help develop your treatment protocol?

pamojja

All self-education. At the time I joined labtestanalyzer 2 years ago, I already since long did whatever they could recommend. You have to be aware that usual lab reference-ranges are woefully inadequate. Usually they are just calculated by taking the middle 95% of all tested as normal, and only what's falls in the above and below 2.5% as abnormal. In reality the majority who get lab-tested already has diseases, and is anything but normal.

Therefore one has find lab-ranges established through studies looking at outcomes (like labtestanalyzer does), or uses functional medicine lab-ranges (established partly by studies and clinical experiences).

Last edited:
Make sense...I never really put much stock in supplements because they never did much for me when healthy and I see to react negatively to sooo many things these days. But...it seems I’m out of options. Thx for your help!!