• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High homocystein and Red flag (AA) in BHMT R239Q rs3733890 ¿TMG?

Hi,

I have high homocysteine levels and a red flag in the gene rs3733890 BHMT R239Q++

I have tried 5 mthf, hidroxi b12 and p5p but my homocystein is still high....

I am thinking about TMG because of this "genetic defect" and high homocystein. Does it make sense?.....

Regards

Attachments

• genet.png
    genet.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 29

Carl

That chart does not show BHMT.

TMG (Betaine) is required for processing homocysteine, it transfers a methyl group to homocysteine to form methionine. It can cause a rise in cholesterol and because it has yang properties, too much can cause excess yang. Therefore small regular doses might be best. Choline might also be helpful because it is needed for liver detox and is a common deficiency, I try to supplement with small 0.5ml amounts of choline bitartrate but too much forces me to sleep. CFS do have some trouble with choline, particularly in the brain.

You might be deficient in the associated nutrients needed to process homocysteine which might be causing your high homocysteine levels. Folate, B2, B6 , B12, Zinc and trimethylglycine (TMG) are required and a deficiency of any of them could be causing elevated levels. Your bodies requirements might be using these up for other more essential needs ie detox. Folate, B2, B6 & B12 and needed for phase I detox therefore maybe you have higher requirements for these nutrients. I have big problems with B2 because it causes an enormous rise in my blood glucose. I need more of it but I cannot use it like so many things which have adverse effects upon me, many of which promote sleep.

If you are worried about circulatory disease, which I am myself, then doing everything to control inflammatory processes would be helpful. Inflammation is known to be a cause of circulatory disease despite what the drug companies would like people to believe. Cordyceps is recommended by Stephen Harrod Buhner who himself is meant to have CFS. There are other things which he recommends in his book on Lyme which I purchased for ideas on destroying mycoplasma bacteria, including Cordyceps as the primary followed by Chinese Skullcap and NAC with a few other lesser effective items including Green Tea due to absorption/utilization problems.

Cordyceps, I have an extract, is another which I have big problems with because it makes me sleep. Sometimes I can tolerate small amounts, 127mg of it today did not make me sleep but I have used 250, 500mg & 1000mg of it which left me sleeping for most of the day. I do need to crack what is causing my sleep reaction to so many things and I do not think this is the common CFS sleep following eating which I have pretty much solved. He does say that large doses of the raw herb/mushroom are needed, well above the small recommended supplementation doses are required to have the necessary effect. He recommends well over 6 grams of the whole mushroom but how that translates to quantities of extracts I do not known.

renski

Hve you tried the other B's? B2 for example will lower my homocysteine, you have to look at everything that is going on and not just take folate/b12.

That chart does not show BHMT.

TMG (Betaine) is required for processing homocysteine, it transfers a methyl group to homocysteine to form methionine. It can cause a rise in cholesterol and because it has yang properties, too much can cause excess yang. Therefore small regular doses might be best. Choline might also be helpful because it is needed for liver detox and is a common deficiency, I try to supplement with small 0.5ml amounts of choline bitartrate but too much forces me to sleep. CFS do have some trouble with choline, particularly in the brain.

You might be deficient in the associated nutrients needed to process homocysteine which might be causing your high homocysteine levels. Folate, B2, B6 , B12, Zinc and trimethylglycine (TMG) are required and a deficiency of any of them could be causing elevated levels. Your bodies requirements might be using these up for other more essential needs ie detox. Folate, B2, B6 & B12 and needed for phase I detox therefore maybe you have higher requirements for these nutrients. I have big problems with B2 because it causes an enormous rise in my blood glucose. I need more of it but I cannot use it like so many things which have adverse effects upon me, many of which promote sleep.

If you are worried about circulatory disease, which I am myself, then doing everything to control inflammatory processes would be helpful. Inflammation is known to be a cause of circulatory disease despite what the drug companies would like people to believe. Cordyceps is recommended by Stephen Harrod Buhner who himself is meant to have CFS. There are other things which he recommends in his book on Lyme which I purchased for ideas on destroying mycoplasma bacteria, including Cordyceps as the primary followed by Chinese Skullcap and NAC with a few other lesser effective items including Green Tea due to absorption/utilization problems.

Cordyceps, I have an extract, is another which I have big problems with because it makes me sleep. Sometimes I can tolerate small amounts, 127mg of it today did not make me sleep but I have used 250, 500mg & 1000mg of it which left me sleeping for most of the day. I do need to crack what is causing my sleep reaction to so many things and I do not think this is the common CFS sleep following eating which I have pretty much solved. He does say that large doses of the raw herb/mushroom are needed, well above the small recommended supplementation doses are required to have the necessary effect. He recommends well over 6 grams of the whole mushroom but how that translates to quantities of extracts I do not known.
True ...sorry. I uploaded the ther file. But I do have that genetic problem. Do you think TMG is good with this defect? My zinc, b2 b6, folate and b12 are well....that is why I think my last attempt is TMG....
Thank you very much for your answer.

Carl

I will update this when I can. The recent forum update has destroyed my use of this forum because it is blocking an important extension which saves forms and prevents loss of compiled forum posts.

Last edited: