• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose melatonin

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Have things improved for you since posting? Sorry I didn't manage to reply before.
That's okay. I forgot I asked. :lol: Lovely brain fog.

The melatonin kinda works the same for me as the Unisom Yippeeki Yow likes.

Sometimes they work and many other times not at all. I just really want something that works consistently most of the time.

So what I'm doing is a little Benedryl (about 3-6mgs) before bed and then again when I wake up half way through. It just seems to work the best for me. (I may try a larger dose sometime to see if it will help me sleep all the way through.)

Being sleep inverted messes up so much for me. All the people I interact with are morning people...from family to neighbors to my favorite car mechanic.

That's kinda why I was trying to work on that first.

Maybe I'll have to learn to be happy being polyphasic and just fake being a morning person. :)

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Here is the UK option:
Thanks for link. I kinda love how their "suggested use" instructions of 1mg per night mean the single 20 Euro pouch has enough melatonin for 2 lifetimes! With its total of 50'000 servings. Seems legit. 😅

2023-04-28 melatonin bulk powder.jpg

Anyway. This month, Loh updated her acute (e.g. Covid) infection and Long Covid treatment dosing guidelines, linked on this page of her evolutamente website.

Her infection guideline PDF and PASC (Long Covid) guideline PDF each describe how to vary dosage between 10-100% of the total dose calculated by bodyweight. Which is a table of numbers I've graphed here:

Cropper2023-04-28-04-06-01-9944426.png

So, with an acute positive test, a couple days ago, I should apparently be on 100% of 3.2 grams. And for PASC, the dosing is more complex and should apparently be split to different times through the day (and night).

This seems like quite a departure (over 2 orders of magnitude more) from her old guideline doc, which I haven't been able to find (I'm bad), but was screenshot and tweeted here:

Her website page (linked above) also links two papers she published with Russel J. Reiter. How melatonin affects "phase separation" in viral replication and dementia. BIG literature reviews. ~900 and ~500 references, respectively!

I wasn't able to dig into either. I'm not even really sure what phase separation truly is. (Kind of fluid self-organisation based on subtle properties? Within cells, only?)

I'm still not sure how to take her. If I'm a fool to even consider that she really may be pushing the frontier of medical science? I mean, her Facebook groups seem sycophantic (although I understand why allowing member posts would be a huge liability), and she has an alternative health online shop (although it doesn't sell melatonin), and I've seen scientific looking conspiracy-theory documents with just as many plausible study references...

So I'm curious to read other's considered takes. 😅 And simple explanations of phase separation and e.g. her position on NIR light therapy vs supplementation.

Wayne

High dose melatonin makes no sense.

I have a good friend who takes 10-15 mg of melatonin before going to bed. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, she takes another 10-15 mg. Low dose doesn't work for her, but high dose does. I've discovered that 3 mg. works best for me. Taking much more than begins to cause sleep problems. We're all so different.