• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose B1 and B12 ?

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is something wrong to mix high dose thiamine (oral/up to 1500 mg/day) and high dose B12 (injections) ?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@elfab - I don't know of any contraindication between high dose thiamine and high dose B12. However, I would titrate up slowly with the thiamine - I would not start with 1500 mg. When I first started taking thiamine (I was already taking 5000 - 10000 mcg. sublingual liquid methylcobalamin), I took 100 mg., and my energy picked up quickly within a day. And then a day or two later it tanked badly. It's a long story but I discovered that the B1 had caused my phosphorous to tank (I believe it had to do with refeeding syndrome). Drinking lots of kefir, high in phosphorous, helped that awful fatigue to go away and I was able to keep taking the B1. I increased my dose gradually and now take 320 mg. of benfotiamine a day. I still have to supplement with extra phosphorous about every 2 days. I now have a monosodium phosphate supplement.

If I had started with a huge dose like 1500 mg. of B1 a day, I can only imagine how my poor body would have reacted! :nervous:

Thanks for your answer. I've been already supplementing with B1. First, 300 mg for three days and then 600 mg the three other days. So far, no effect on fatigue. I will begin with 900 mg tomorow.

Learner1

What is the rationale for using so much B1? Was there a certain lab test you're responding to? B vitamins work together, so a huge dose of one might cause an imbalance of the others or their cofactors. (Wondering what your levels of B6, B2, and folate are, for instance.)

You may need molybdenum to support transsulfuration.

What is the rationale for using so much B1? Was there a certain lab test you're responding to? B vitamins work together, so a huge dose of one might cause an imbalance of the others or their cofactors. (Wondering what your levels of B6, B2, and folate are, for instance.)

You may need molybdenum to support transsulfuration.
Various studies have shown that high dose B1 can improve energy, even in people not showing blood deficiency. As it is not harmfull, I'm trying.

It might be wise to ALSO take in some other nutrients with it.
Yes, you're right. I'm already taking vit d, magnésium, B Complex, vit c and other Things to feed the mitochondria, plus folichon acid. If you had other suggestions, I'd be really glad to read them.