• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

high ASO titer: does it mean anything?

my ASO titer has been >400 for quite some time now (415 -> 250 -> 420 over the course of a year). haven't had any strep-like symptoms since last March (6 months before my first ASO titer of 415)

haven't found much information on the matter relating to CFS/ME. my leading theory about my illness is that it's gut-related, but (as far as I can tell) a high ASO titer relates to group A strep bacteria and this group doesn't seem to be implicated in dysbiosis. does a high ASO titer thus indicate a smoldering strep infection elsewhere in my body? or is this just another useless data point?

Learner1

my ASO titer has been >400 for quite some time now (415 -> 250 -> 420 over the course of a year). haven't had any strep-like symptoms since last March (6 months before my first ASO titer of 415)

haven't found much information on the matter relating to CFS/ME. my leading theory about my illness is that it's gut-related, but (as far as I can tell) a high ASO titer relates to group A strep bacteria and this group doesn't seem to be implicated in dysbiosis. does a high ASO titer thus indicate a smoldering strep infection elsewhere in my body? or is this just another useless data point?
Looks like a problem worth treating, or at least further investigation:

"This test is used to document exposure to streptococcal streptolysin O. A marked rise in titer or a persistently elevated titer indicates that a Streptococcus infection or poststreptococcal sequelae are present.

Limitations
False-positive ASO titers can be caused by increased levels of serum β-lipoprotein produced in liver disease and by contamination of the serum with Bacillus cereus and Pseudomonas. ASO titers are elevated in 85 percent of patients with rheumatic fever but may not be elevated in cases involving skin or renal sequelae."

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Dr. Martin Lerner found persistent strep infection in a subgroup of ME/CFS patients.

godlovesatrier

As it would happen I was researching treatments for this last night - that I already own. Turns out that Lauricidin in vitro does stop strep A through F from multiplying. I found a really good website about it actually which more or less summed up all the research.

You could take Lauricidin for a few weeks/months and see if it improves you? It's improved me massively in the past and been less stellar at other times, even so I am currently taking it as I think I have a strep infection in my tonsils :( Came on a few days ago, not too thrilled about it!!

https://www.monolaurinandmore.com/articles/monolaurin-strep-throat

“GML [glycerol monolaurate] is ≥ 200 times more effective than lauric acid in bactericidal activity, defined as a ≥ 3 log reduction in colony-forming units (CFU)/ml, against Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes in broth cultures. Both molecules inhibit superantigen production by these organisms at concentrations that are not bactericidal….Both GML and lauric acid significantly inhibited superantigen production by Staphylococcus aureus MN8 and Streptococcus pyogenes at sub-growth inhibitory concentrations (Figure 4). However, the GML concentration that was required for inhibition of exotoxin production in absence of growth inhibition was lower for both organisms than lauric acid.”[Ref #3]

As it would happen I was researching treatments for this last night - that I already own. Turns out that Lauricidin in vitro does stop strep A through F from multiplying. I found a really good website about it actually which more or less summed up all the research.

You could take Lauricidin for a few weeks/months and see if it improves you? It's improved me massively in the past and been less stellar at other times, even so I am currently taking it as I think I have a strep infection in my tonsils :( Came on a few days ago, not too thrilled about it!!

https://www.monolaurinandmore.com/articles/monolaurin-strep-throat

Could you elaborate on the hypothesized antibacterial activity of Lauricidin? Would it undermine strep systemically, or only in your throat? What about through the digestive tract (e.g. in the colon)?

Last edited:

godlovesatrier

There's no in Vivo studies so we can only speculate to be honest.

In theory though you cold hazard a guess that at least it would get into the gi tract and deal with any nasties there very easily. However the likelyhood of it being concentrated enough to get into throat tissue is more debatable. However I've noticed a big difference using it today. I took a high dose about 18,000mg today. In 2 hourly split does throughout the day. So about 3gs at a time.

It's definitely reduced the swelling in my tonsils and I've had some mild ibd. This could all be bad bacteria being expelled from my gut too.

The downside is that it upsets the bacteria and microflora that are good. Just likes standard abx. This is purely based on my own experiences. However a high quality probiotic whilst dosing and after dosing seems to clear this up.