• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Ammonia and CFS

I have read that there is possible connection between high ammonia in the blood and CFS. Are there supplements that is strongly neutralize ammonia in the blood? My theory now, I am testing chloride as ammonia neutralizer as it is used in swimming pools as chlorine to neutralize ammonia.

The problem is I could not find pure chloride supplement.

ChrisD

Before I had ME, and had more of a CFS type illness with Fibromyalgia, I went through a period when I had very high ammonia as shown in an OAT urine test. But I could also smell it in my sweat on my palms, armpits etc. - I have read that it could be connected to many things such as Lyme disease and gut dysbiosis, liver dysfunction. In the end my nutritionist got me on Arginine and Ornithine amino acids for it and it subsided, I have also heard that Butyrate of some sort can help lower Ammonia

Before I had ME, and had more of a CFS type illness with Fibromyalgia, I went through a period when I had very high ammonia as shown in an OAT urine test. But I could also smell it in my sweat on my palms, armpits etc. - I have read that it could be connected to many things such as Lyme disease and gut dysbiosis, liver dysfunction. In the end my nutritionist got me on Arginine and Ornithine amino acids for it and it subsided, I have also heard that Butyrate of some sort can help lower Ammonia

Thanks for your reply, I have tried arginine but did not do much for me, now I am trying orthinine.