• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herpes Veridai protocol (5-ar inhibitors)

jump44

I’m sure everyone appreciates it. However my recollection from the locked thread was that there was plenty of questioning/skepticism about the treatment theory even by those of us trying it. This very thread was made in response to me being concerned about the hormonal aspect of the protocol. So the shutting down of the thread and this seems like overkill. Busy bodies who are looking out for the “best interest of others” are just annoying. No offense intended I’m sure your intentions are good.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

The purpose of these forums is to share information. It's only fair to share links to previous honest discussions about the protocol.

I felt compelled to post because many have been asking where to start with his model, only to be given links to 3 papers totaling over 100 pages and asked to read them from the beginning. Many of us have read his papers and found the claims to be inconsistent or even incorrect.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect every person reading these threads to read all 100 pages and check citations. We should share others' findings about the documents to help prevent others from wasting valuable energy repeating the same exploration.

He has tried to promote his protocol in Reddit's /r/AskDocs, which is a subreddit that only allows doctors to answer questions. He was quickly called out by the moderators and actual doctors in the thread who quickly debunked his theories and removed several of his posts:
He may not be claiming to be a doctor here, but he has tried to allude to clinical trials that do not exist, among other claims.

Informed self-experimentation is fine. My goal is to inform everyone about existing discussion and concerns about his theories from those of us who have previously read his papers and investigated his claims.
I can’t see on the picture how they debunked his theories.
Could you tell me what exactly is wrong? I’m on the protocol and would like to know that. I’m too severe too read it and check all the references. Sorry ✌🏼

godlovesatrier

So I've come to the conclusion after a year being on the protocol that the anti adrogenic properties of this protocol are what allowed me to achieve 80%. However I ended up with several side effects which in the end weren't really worthit and my doctor told me to stop reishi and oat bran due to very high prolactin which was not macroprolactin which had been high for over 6 months. Also beta glucan doses over 500mg a day from oat bran caused neutropenia in me.

The longer I was on these things taken together the better my fatigue would get, but at the expense of the above issues. Also my kidney function tests were a lot lower when I took egcg 3x a day and ate 150g protein a day.

My hair is certainly thicker, go figure! Acne stopped a year ago and I did wonder why, now it makes sense that the reishi was probably the main culprit although other compounds may have played a role too. My libido went down in the first few months of starting the protocol, it's never really disappeared. Although there was a brief period where it seemed to however this appeared to be due to taking lions mane 3x a day at the 800mg dose. This caused dysphoria which included a total loss of libido.

So the 4 inhbitors were

Lions mane
egcg
beta glucans
reishi mushroom

Seems side effects might never be anything more than subdued vitality and who's to argue that is worse than crashing more badly regularly?

Well long story short I've gradually removed most things and the only thing left now is the reishi. I'm at 70% now but I think if I remove reishi I'll struggle to maintain that.

My real problem is I do not have any testosterone tests prior to last year, so I've no clue what my natural T level is meant to be, which is very frustrating. I do remember getting a DHEA test at one point which came back normal.

But for me anyway as I am almost one of the only responders to the protocol it seems that the inhibitors were what did it. As for brain fog apart from the beta glucans, liposomal glutathione seems to have been a game changer where that's concerned.

I'm going to try fisetin and ginkgo biloba as alternatives to reishi for their various mitochondrial properties, microglial calming properties and there ability to potently lower oxidative stress. I am hoping those two combined will make up for any losses.

I did do 3 days without reishi and almost fainted in the shower last night which I believe would probably have been buffered better if I'd still been taking the reishi as it would have protected the body better. Just a theory.

I do wonder at what point dht inhibition becomes an issue though if you're just trying to get by with life, have no social life, can't exercise (very rarely at the moment) etc. Plus if you're fatigued and feel shit you don't have any vitality anyway and I assume male hormones in ME are a mess as well?

Last edited: