• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herbal antiviral supplement - sutherlandia

Hi i want to post my experience using sutherlandia, a herb from South africa, used to treat HIV. A nutritionist recommended it to me after Glandular Fever. It has really worked well when it comes to energy levels. I have had post viral fatigue for many years. Recently i crashed for a month. I started on sutherlandia again and within 48 hrs i had recovered a lot. So i think it must help with post viral as well as glandular fever symptoms. I struggled to get it in the UK, but it is avaliable in the netherlands and germany. And south africa of course.

Wolfcub

Your experience is very interesting. Thank you @Teresauk

I had never heard of Sutherlandia!
My own issue I feel, is based on post-viral syndrome after a flu-like illness in early Spring this year. It always remitted and relapsed. Now it is not anywhere like as bad as it was in the first 6-12 weeks, but still will not quite go away completely.

I will research that herb, and may try to get some. I always take herbal medicine. It might be worth a shot for me.

Wolfcub

A very cursory investigation into Sutherlandia turns up evidence that it could be harmful to patients who are HIV+ as it can exacerbate central nervous system inflammation.
Yet apparently does not have that effect in those who are "healthy"...(or those who have other immune issues?) I can't imagine anyone who is healthy would need to take this medicine....but whatever. I presume they mean anyone who is HIV-

https://www.health24.com/Medical/HI...-patients-should-not-use-cancer-bush-20151207

Quote:
But while earlier research supports the benefits of Sutherlandia for alleviating stress in healthy individuals, the picture changes when an individual is infected with the HI-virus.

I also presume the article means "immune stress" there....

Lisa108

The german Wikipedia entry warns that Sutherlandia disrupts absorption of essential amino acids (and therefore the protein synthesis), and that prolonged intake could lead to autoimmune diseases like Lupus...
:(

Wolfcub

The german Wikipedia entry warns that Sutherlandia disrupts absorption of essential amino acids (and therefore the protein synthesis), and that prolonged intake could lead to autoimmune diseases like Lupus...
:(
In its defence though....there are many good anti-viral/anti-microbial/immune support herbs which can be detrimental if taken for too long a period, and some that can create an auto-immune situation in those who are susceptible.

I would always recommend consulting a good qualified medical herbalist. They know more than we do, and they know how to use these herbs, and when not to, and when to give it a break for a while.