• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herbal alternative to the CCR5 antagonist Maraviroc

IThinkImTurningJapanese

In light of Dr. Bruce Patterson's discovery that Maraviroc is effective in treating long-haul covid, whether caused by covid infection itself or by vaccine-induced long haul. I began searching for an herbal alternative. Japan most certainly will not start admistering an experimental treatment anytime soon.
@drob31

Extracts of the medicinal herb Sanguisorba officinalis inhibit the entry of human immunodeficiency virus-1

Abstract
Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) has been successful in reducing human immu-
nodeficiency virus (HIV)-1-associated morbidity and mortality since its introduction in 1996.
However, it fails to eradicate HIV-1 infection. The high cost of life-long highly active antiretro-
viral therapy and the emergence of drug resistance among HIV-1-infected individuals have
brought renewed pressure for the discovery of novel antivirals and alternative medicines.
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) is a complementary and alternative medicine, and serves
as a rich resource for new drug development. Despite the almost 100 plant-derived compounds
that are in clinical trials, few targetHIV-1 infection. In this study, we discovered that Sanguisorba
officinalis extract (SOE) has anti-HIV-1 properties. Using a cell-based assay and single-cycle
luciferase reporter viruses pseudotyped with envelopes from HIV-1 or control viruses, we
found that SOE exhibited significant inhibitory ability against both CCR5 and CXCR4 tropic HIV-1
(ADA and HXB2), with respective IC50 values of 1.910.16mg/mLand 3.700.53 mg/mL.SOE also
inhibited simian immunodeficiency virus infection but failed to block vesicular stomatitis virus,
severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus, and influenza H5N1 pseudoviruses. Further-
more, we showed that SOE had no effect on post entry events of HIV-1 replication. Because SOE
pretreatment with the virus but not with cell lines expressing viral receptors showed the
maximal inhibitory activity, we can state that SOE probably blocks entry by acting on the viral
envelope directly. In addition, SOE was able to inhibit reverse transcriptase inhibitor resistant
viruses (K103N, Y188L, and K103N/Y188L/G190A) and a protease inhibitor resistant strain (PI-
2840).Our findings demonstrate SOE as a novel and specific entry inhibitor,which sheds light on
the discovery of anti-HIV-1 drugs from traditional herbal medicines.
Copyright ª2013, Food and Drug Administration, Taiwan. Published by Elsevier Taiwan

Treeman

Search Results - Bristol Botanicals

Directions
Shake well before use. Take 20-30 drops, three times a day or as directed by your practitioner. The best way to use liquid herbal tinctures is to put the suggested amount in a glass of water, tea, or juice and drink the entire contents. Tinctures can also be administered directly into the mouth without the assistance of water however some tinctures are unpalatable which is why most people prefer to dilute them into a beverage.

Amazon.com: Di Yu Tincture, Di Yu, Garden Burnet (Sanguisorba Officinalis) Root Liquid Extract, Herbal Supplement 2x2 oz: Health & Personal Care

Martin aka paused||M.E.

In light of Dr. Bruce Patterson's discovery that Maraviroc is effective in treating long-haul covid, whether caused by covid infection itself or by vaccine-induced long haul. I began searching for an herbal alternative. Japan most certainly will not start admistering an experimental treatment anytime soon.
@drob31

Extracts of the medicinal herb Sanguisorba officinalis inhibit the entry of human immunodeficiency virus-1
Very interesting especially bc it seems to cross the BBB https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18981568/

GlassCannonLife

Search Results - Bristol Botanicals

Directions
Shake well before use. Take 20-30 drops, three times a day or as directed by your practitioner. The best way to use liquid herbal tinctures is to put the suggested amount in a glass of water, tea, or juice and drink the entire contents. Tinctures can also be administered directly into the mouth without the assistance of water however some tinctures are unpalatable which is why most people prefer to dilute them into a beverage.

Amazon.com: Di Yu Tincture, Di Yu, Garden Burnet (Sanguisorba Officinalis) Root Liquid Extract, Herbal Supplement 2x2 oz: Health & Personal Care

So did anyone try this instead of maraviroc?

godlovesatrier

Thanks Glass. I'll be buying some of this to keep on hand. I'd assume higher doses for the acute phase would be useful.

Due to heavy metal issues and what not I'd recommend Bristol botanicals as sourcing will be a little better. Plus amazon can be really dodgy.

GlassCannonLife

Thanks Glass. I'll be buying some of this to keep on hand. I'd assume higher doses for the acute phase would be useful.

Due to heavy metal issues and what not I'd recommend Bristol botanicals as sourcing will be a little better. Plus amazon can be really dodgy.

Yeah not in stock for Australia apparently on Amazon so going off Hawaiian place's website. I'll check out the other brand too though thanks

godlovesatrier

Attachments

• 1651228265765.png
    1651228265765.png
    479.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1651228302322.png
    1651228302322.png
    356 KB · Views: 33
  • 1651228337612.png
    1651228337612.png
    329.8 KB · Views: 29

GlassCannonLife

I wonder if this will be any good.. Mine should come soon. But just googled and in vitro maraviroc hits IC50 at a few ng/mL, while the herb seems to need a couple mg/mL..

Not sure if I have grasped it all correctly as I'm not doing well atm re brain fog and function.

But if the study had dosed maraviroc at 600 mg daily and it's 1 million times more effective, we'd need to be having like a kg of the herb a day for the same effect? Lol :-/ guess we can only try and see.

godlovesatrier

I should have really mentioned bioavailability but it passed me by. Your right anyway. And your dosings are probably right too.

This tollovoid product bothers me for long covid. Company is charging $500 a bottle but apparently it works. The bottle lasts between 15 and 30 days. Very few can afford it. Yet the ingredients are ONE herbal compound and theres no mention of bioavailability enhancement.

I feel like there all being massively conned.

I only mention it because it feeds into bioavailability conversation.

https://todosmedical.com/tollovid

godlovesatrier

Quite a lot of people on Twitter having luck with it. Long haulers for over a year most of them.

It seems very difficult sourcing the active ingredient gromroot from somewhere else. Potential liver toxicity issues have been reported even with tollovid not sure how accurate this is. Found a whole thread explaining the pharmokinetics?? Today.

The cost is just insane they are taking the piss. Theres no way in hell it costs more than a few dollars a bottle to make.

Also lots of potential for heavy metals with both which isn't great. Unsure if they test it for this. Unsure if they certify that it won't cause liver damage as well.

However it does appear to work. I'm sure I saw one report saying symptoms come back when people stop taking it.

Since I first got ME I've taken so many things that have put me in quasi remission for months at a time. First was Siberian ginseng. After that astragalus root. After that reishi mushroom. Later on andrographis worked in the summer months. These often worked in the winter too. But if I take them now they have absolutely no effect. So whatever caused my ME seemed to get worse over time.

My worry is that a lot of these treatments even the newly proposed ones won't work for long. Although a good thing because it means doctors need to figure out the root cause Ans treat it instead of treating downstream symptoms.

Good luck if you try it.

Remi

Yes, I read that too about good results for LC patients. I will wait until there is more known.

godlovesatrier

Just seen someone on twitter report full recovery from long covid after 2 years with fairly severe symptoms by taking Tollovid. I expect quite a few of you are already aware of it.

Seems like it may genuinely be a worthwhile treatment.

Also makes me wonder if it would work for other RNA based viruses that may be indicated in ME.

BrightCandle

I have tested the Bristol Botanicals Di Yu and it makes me quite light headed and worsens my brain fog. When I take it I get a very similar feeling to my first signs of ME where I got a headache and dizziness. Its not safe to take it for me at least because the amount of dizziness means I bump into things and fall over, not good. Whether pushing through this results in a cure I don't know but I do not feel good on it at all.

GlassCannonLife

I have tested the Bristol Botanicals Di Yu and it makes me quite light headed and worsens my brain fog. When I take it I get a very similar feeling to my first signs of ME where I got a headache and dizziness. Its not safe to take it for me at least because the amount of dizziness means I bump into things and fall over, not good. Whether pushing through this results in a cure I don't know but I do not feel good on it at all.
Interesting! That's unfortunate though. I haven't tried mine yet, will next week sometime I think. Got the Hawaii pharm one