• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hemodynamics During the 10-Minute NASA LeanTest: Evidence of Circulatory Decompensation in a Subset of ME/CFS Patients

Murph

:)
Hemodynamics During the 10-Minute NASA LeanTest: Evidence of Circulatory Decompensation in a Subset of ME/CFS Patients

Lee, Vernon, Unutmaz, Bateman et al (2020)

Abstract

Background

Lightheadedness, fatigue, weakness, heart palpitations, cognitive dysfunction, muscle pain,and exercise intolerance are some of the symptoms of orthostatic intolerance (OI). There is substantial comorbidity of OI in ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). The 10-minuteNASA Lean Test (NLT) is a simple, point-of-care method that can aid ME/CFS diagnosis and guide management and treatment of OI. The objective of this study was to understand the hemodynamic changes that occur in ME/CFS patients during the 10-minute NLT.

Methods

A total of 150 ME/CFS patients and 75 age, gender- and race-matched healthy controls (HCs)were enrolled. We recruited 75 ME/CFS patients who had been sick for less than 4 years (<4 ME/CFS) and75 ME/CFS patients sick for more than 10 years (>10 ME/CFS). The 10-minute NLT involves measurement of blood pressure and heart rate while resting supine and every minute for 10 minutes while standing with shoulder-blades on the wall for a relaxed stance. Spontaneously reported symptomsare recorded during the test. ANOVA and regression analysis were used to test for differences and relationships in hemodynamics, symptoms and upright activity between groups.

Results

At least 5 minutes of the 10-minute NLT were required to detect hemodynamic changes. The <4ME/CFS group had significantly higher heart rate and abnormally narrowed pulse pressure compared to>10 ME/CFS and HCs. The <4 ME/CFS group experienced significantly more OI symptoms compared to>10 ME/CFS and HCs. The circulatory decompensation observed in the <4 ME/CFS group was not related to age or medication use.

Conclusions

Circulatory decompensation characterized by increased heart rate and abnormally narrow pulse pressure was identified in a subgroup of ME/CFS patients who have been sick for <4 years. This suggests inadequate ventricular lling from low venous pressure. The 10-minute NLT can be used to diagnose and treat the circulatory decompensation in this newly recognized subgroup of ME/CFSpatients. The >10 ME/CFS group had less pronounced hemodynamic changes during the NLT possiblyfrom adaptation and compensation that occurs over time. The 10-minute NLT is a simple and clinicallyuseful point-of-care method that can be used for early diagnosis of ME/CFS and help guide OI treatment.

FULL PDF: https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-28631/v1/78fdbb22-3fcf-4eee-8482-14d7fd5830a5.pdf

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I'm glad to see this study, but I think they need a longer test period. I've done a similar test (DIY, not through a doctor's office) several times and my pulse pressure didn't start to narrow until 30-45 minutes had passed.

Wishful

I do wonder if they've properly taken into account the changes in lifestyle for PWME. A lot of us have a significant change in activity levels and psychological function, which could affect circulatory function. I suppose we could adapt to that over time.