• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with understanding EBV acute infection antibodies test?!

Can someone help me understand the purpose of an EBV acute infection antibodies test and also how to interpret it (or point me towards a good resource). I sort of new to this so trying to learn and understand better.

The four categories of the test that I have done are

EBV Ab VCA, IgM
EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG
EBV Ab VCA, IgG
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG

The first two results are in "normal range" but the values for the second two are way above the reference range and it even indicated as high on the result sheet but the doctor who ran the test said thats normal and proceeded not to explain why to me. Anyways, just hoping to understand this test a little better myself. Thanks :)

Hip

Elevated antibodies in the VCA IgM test and/or the EA IgG diffuse test indicate active EBV infection, says Dr Lerner. So you do not have an EBV issue according to Dr Lerner's criteria.

But ME/CFS is linked to several other viruses, and a good ME/CFS doctor will test you for all of these. Details in this mini roadmap.

Elevated antibodies in the VCA IgM test and/or the EA IgG diffuse test indicate active EBV infection, says Dr Lerner. So you do not have an EBV issue according to Dr Lerner's criteria.

But ME/CFS is linked to several other viruses, and a good ME/CFS doctor will test you for all of these. Details in this mini roadmap.
Thanks @Hip! looks like a great resource