• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with my 14 year old's leaky gut please

ukme

My daughter got this illness 3 years ago and started off pretty badly affected but has made slow but steady improvements (Myhill) and also more recently has benefitted from Rich's Simplified 5 (or 4 in her case as can't take the phosphatidyl).

However she is v sluggish in the mornings and clearly some foods are not agreeing with her.

So I would like some comments on how best to go forward with diet.

It's hard with a kid esp with sugar, but I found something called Xylitol and I'm wondering if someone could confirm that that is OK to use as a sugar replacemnt?

She has casein intolerance, is it just cow's milk or can she have sheeps/goats milk, I did read something about casein in sheeps milk being alot different.

Re probiotics, she is taking Culturelle, I know that KDM does like Mutaflor, would anyone see a benefit in that over the Culturelle?

Any reples appreciated, please help if you can. Many thanks x

curry

It's hard with a kid esp with sugar, but I found something called Xylitol and I'm wondering if someone could confirm that that is OK to use as a sugar replacemnt?

I don't know about xylitol, but can recommend Stevia as a sugar replacement - it won't affect the gut, tastes better than most other sweeteners, and is easy to use.

I like this blog with recipes for healthy desserts, most of them are without sugar, flour etc. http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

She does a really wicked chocolate cake without flour, sugar, dairy and gluten. Chocolate Cake Recipe

3560662052_cd071a6d45_o.png

:tongue:

Jenny

I use xylitol a lot - have no problem with it and it tastes OK. But it is expensive.

Jenny

ukme

Wow thanks curry I'm going to try making the cake, first need to get a grinder for the sugar and some beans! Is cocoa ok to have?
Diesel re the casein intolerance KDM actually said 'cows milk' after he told me , which made me wonder if other types of milk would be OK (or more specifically cheese). I agree it's abit of trial and error when it comes to diet, I wish it wasn't though.

leaves

there is this product caled revitalx (from natural factors). It is a hypoallergenic protein supplement especially designed for healing leaking gut. I have heard good things about it and it is not too expensive. I think it is worth to try out

ukme

Yes I've just seen your other posts about it and think it's def worth a try, thanks.

leaves

welcome :) btw I react to cows milk but can tolerate goat yoghurt (goat milk not tho, because of the lactose i suppose). I dont like stevia that much (taste plus gives me headaches when I get too much) I do like this other sweetener luo han guo. At whole foods they also sell a coconut based sweetener, but that is quite expensive.

Hi there,
I very much agree with the above quote- we are all different! So the treatment can vary. I'm not sure what advice you've had in the past or who from, but I can't stress enough the importance of getting a really excellent dietician. I was seriously I'll for 2 years with leaky gut and digestive problems but I see a CHEK practitioner and intuitive healer and have been completely cured within a year. If you look up Paul Chek he has loads of Reading material you can get tour hands on. He's a top international health guru and his practitioners are excellent! Expensive but excellent. It was tough. I was told no sugar, gluten, wheat, dairy, soya, alcohol, or grains for a year and I barely touch them now either. But um no longer allergic to gluten anymore! But I was a very very extreme case and so I'm sure your daughter would be a much more straight forward case.

I used to be really out if it the mornings but it was just my body lacking in vit and nutrients. Now I'm brilliant in the morning!!! So it can be cured completely :) just get some top notch advice. It's well worth paying for!! And will save any damage in the long run! X

Athene

ihateticks.me
A few bits of info from someone who formerly had a volcano for an intestine:

The protein in goat, cow and sheep milk is nearly identical so you won't benefit from switching. The only one that is different is asses milk. I actually found a farm where I could buy asses milk (not quite enough to bathe in.. damn!) and it is very nice but also very sweet, so you have to limit yourself. Also, this only addresses the allergy issue. With leaky gut the problem is absorption of morphine-like macromolecules (i.e. molecules of milk beofre they are sufficiently digested). To deal with this you can either buy baby milk called Aptamil Pepti2 (or any other brand so long as the protein chain has been enzymatically broken down to short chain peptides of less that 17 molecules). This stuff smells like cheesy Wotsits but the taste is fine. Alternatively, rice milk or soya instead. Don't overdo soya because that also contains a very small amount of morphine-like molecules.

Next, I spent a fortune on Mutaflor (a hundred quid a box) and it makes no difference. The thing that makes a difference is taking top quality "normal" probiotics along with with prebiotics. (If they have to be refrigerated they are probably top quality, otherwise, not so much. Ask for VSL-3 at the chemist, that's the bees knees). Psyllium husk has CHANGED MY LIFE!!!. I used to go to the loo up to 20 times a day, now I am nearly normal, nd the gurgling and gas is diminishing as the probiotics are actually able to take a hold inside me.

Xylitol and all artificial sweeteners are more harmful than actual sugar. I am afraid you daughter really needs to train herself not to eat sweet stuff. And I know how tough this is, I still find it hard after all these years. I agree that stevia is just about the only OK thing, but make sure you buy absolute top quality becuase stevia absorbs any contamination it can from the soil and it can contain extremely dangerous mineral contaminants. You need stuff that is very responsibly tested. It grows quite well in an English country garden, so you may decide to plant your own if you can find it in a garden centre!

Supplements that are supposed to help leaky gut include molybdenum and a whole bunch of sulphur compounds, but many people with leaky gut cannot metabolise sulphur properly. (If you're not sure, eat non-organic dried apricots and see how much gas they cause.) I have taken moly for about 18 months and never noticed it making any difference.

There is a very good thread full of links and info called "what you need to do" - I recommend reading that.

Hi , if you decide to try cutting out gluten (found in wheat products) try Genius Bread (gluten free) on sale at Tesco and Sainsburys. The unsliced is best because the sliced dries out. Its delicious, especially toasted!

Athene

ihateticks.me
I've got another tip on gluten free bread, since it is prone to going stale really fast. You can freeze it (already sliced) and toast a slice as you need it, straight from the freezer. This thaws it out. Toast it a second time if you want to eat toast.