• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! Need info on prednisone!

Likaloha

I have been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica along with my fibromyalgia, cfs/me, arthritis, etc and rheumatologist prescribed daily prednisone ... I have heard all the 'wonderful' side effects, especially weight gain, h2o retention and mood swings.. I trust my doctor but am afraid of all the side effects and hope the treatment benefits outweigh the side effects... Anyone have any info? I would appreciate it very much... Thanks from ohio!

Hip

Any idea of the dose prednisone prescribed?

Low-dose corticosteroids are sometimes taken by ME/CFS patients, usually without adverse effects.

Normal-dose corticosteroids often make ME/CFS better in the short-term (ie, over a few days or weeks), but can make patients worse in the long-term (this may be because of the immunosuppressive effects of corticosteroids, which may allow underlying infections in the ME/CF patient to proliferate).

Are you sure you have ME/CFS, though, because I just checked, and polymyalgia rheumatica on its own can cause fatigue.

Likaloha

Any idea of the dose prednisone prescribed?

Low-dose corticosteroids are sometimes taken by ME/CFS patients, usually without adverse effects.

Normal-dose corticosteroids often make ME/CFS better in the short-term (ie, over a few days or weeks), but can make patients worse in the long-term (this may be because of the immunosuppressive effects of corticosteroids, which may allow underlying infections in the ME/CF patient to proliferate).

Are you sure you have ME/CFS, though, because I just checked, and polymyalgia rheumatica on its own can cause fatigue.
Thanks for the reply... I was diagnosed with cfs/me about 12 years ago and fit all the criteria.. This polymalgia thing is very new and doctor out me on 10 mg daily to see if it helps with the pain... I was wondering about the long term problems but my doctor and I will be as vigilant as possible, I guess to see if is harming me or making me worse. Thanks again for taking time to reply!

Shoshana

Northern USA
I would personally try to keep the dose at as low a level as possible, @Likaloha
I would expect it to help with symptoms, but the full side effects of taking it long-term, seem daunting to me.

Likaloha

I would personally try to keep the dose at as low a level as possible, @Likaloha
I would expect it to help with symptoms, but the full side effects of taking it long-term, seem daunting to me.
Thanks Shoshana.. I am going to try to keep dose as low as possible and if it doesn't seem to help I will stop or taper off.

hi . as far as i know pred is the only treatment for p.r. how did they test you for the p.r.? i know someone who had it and she was greatly helped by the pred. in fact she was hospitalized with it, she had it so bad. but she is healthy. she had to take it for three months. good luck. joanie

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I have systemic lupus erythematosis. Previously my rheumatologist used pred to control flares (short term) but more recently has switched to naproxen sodium 2 pills twice a day. Pred was damaging my eyes and causing weight gain. She said that prednisone is too harmful to use and the naproxen is just as effective. This is in addition to long term treatment with methotrexate (am and pm one day per week). I also use colchicine for pericarditis. It looks like the same treatment regimen is allowed for polyrheumatica arthralgia.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...a-rheumatica/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20376545

Likaloha

hi . as far as i know pred is the only treatment for p.r. how did they test you for the p.r.? i know someone who had it and she was greatly helped by the pred. in fact she was hospitalized with it, she had it so bad. but she is healthy. she had to take it for three months. good luck. joanie
Thanks Joanie... Doc did blood tests and went by symptoms that seemed newer than the fibromyalgia symptoms from past 18 years. Appreciate the reply!

Likaloha

I have systemic lupus erythematosis. Previously my rheumatologist used pred to control flares (short term) but more recently has switched to naproxen sodium 2 pills twice a day. Pred was damaging my eyes and causing weight gain. She said that prednisone is too harmful to use and the naproxen is just as effective. This is in addition to long term treatment with methotrexate (am and pm one day per week). I also use colchicine for pericarditis. It looks like the same treatment regimen is allowed for polyrheumatica arthralgia.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...a-rheumatica/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20376545
gbells.. thanks for replying.. I will read the info you sent.. it is much appreciated!

Thinktank

I don't understand how naproxen can control a SLE flare. Isn't naproxen just a COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor?

My wife is in a SLE flare since a week or so and already lost 30% of her hair! Vasculitis in fingers and toes popping up again and some lymph nodes are enlarged. Weakness in muscles and very fatigued.
I'm looking for something to substitute prednisolone because i'm sure her doc. will prescribe it again. It's very effective bringing down a flare but the side effects are terrible. She also can't lower the dose as quick because that then exacerbates certain lupus symptoms such as muscle pain and severe fatigue.
She's also on 300mg plaquenil.

Do you have any side effects from methotrexate?

Last edited:

ebethc

I have been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica along with my fibromyalgia, cfs/me, arthritis, etc and rheumatologist prescribed daily prednisone ... I have heard all the 'wonderful' side effects, especially weight gain, h2o retention and mood swings.. I trust my doctor but am afraid of all the side effects and hope the treatment benefits outweigh the side effects... Anyone have any info? I would appreciate it very much... Thanks from ohio!

have you ever tried plaquenil? I haven't, but I'm curious about it myself...

Likaloha

I am down to 5 mg every other day and 2.5 on the other days...I can say it seems my pain is worse at night on the lower dose.