• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HELP: Looking for Study on Low Blood Volume / CFS/ME

dannybex

I have a doc's appointment tomorrow with my primary doc (who doesn't understand much at all about CFS). I'd like to talk about the low blood volume connection to CFS, but can't locate a published study?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

d.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I found this abstract. Nancy Klimas was a part of this study. I cannot get the full text article.

Chronic: Fatigue Syndrome: Illness Severity, Sedentary Lifestyle, Blood Volume and Evidence of Diminished Cardiac Function

Barry E Hurwitz ; Virginia T Coryell ; Meela Parker ; Pedro Martin ; Arthur LaPerriere ; Nancy G Klimas ; George N Sfakianakis ; Martin S Bilsker

Article: Peer Reviewed
Year: 2010
Published in: Clinical Science (London) 118 (1-2). JAN 2010. 125-135 0143-5221
Database: Biological Abstracts (EBSCO)

Summary

The study examined whether deficits in cardiac output and blood volume in a CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) cohort were present and linked to illness severity and sedentary lifestyle. Follow-up analyses assessed whether differences in cardiac output levels between CFS and control groups were corrected by controlling for cardiac contractility and TBV (total blood volume).

The 146 participants were subdivided into two CFS groups based on symptom severity data, severe (n = 30) and non-severe (n = 26), and two healthy non-CFS control groups based on physical activity, sedentary (n = 58) and non-sedentary (n = 32). Controls were matched to CFS participants using age, gender, ethnicity and body mass.

Echocardiographic measures indicated that the severe CFS participants had 10.2%. lower cardiac volume (i.e. stroke index and end-diastolic volume) and 25.1% lower contractility (velocity of circumferential shortening corrected by heart rate) than the control groups. Dual tag blood volume asses sments indicated that the CFS groups had lower TBV, PV (plasma volume) and RBCV (red blood cell volume) than control groups. Of the CFS subjects with a TBV deficit (i.e. >= 8% below ideal levels), the mean +/- S.D. percentage deficit in TBV, PV and RBCV were -15.4+/-4.0, -13.2+/-5.0 and -19.1+/-6.3% respectively.

Lower cardiac volume levels in CFS were substantially corrected by controlling for prevailing TBV deficits, but were not affected by controlling for cardiac contractility levels. Analyses indicated that the TBV deficit explained 91-94% of the group differences in cardiac volume indices. Group differences in cardiac structure were offsetting and, hence, no differences emerged for left ventricular mass index.

Therefore the findings indicate that lower cardiac volume levels, displayed primarily by subjects with severe CFS, were not linked to diminished cardiac contractility levels, but were probably a consequence of a co-morbid hypovolaemic condition. Further study is needed to address the extent to which the cardiac and blood volume alterations in CFS have physiological and clinical significance.

You might want to check out the discussion of the article by Dr. Teitelbaum. It looks very interesting and I think he does a good job of explaining the topic. (Confession: I'm too tired to read it thoroughly, so you will need to see if it is useful to you.) There is a printable version available.

Treating Low Blood Volume and Decreased Heart Function in CFS