• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help fund UK medical students to study ME/CFS

CFSTheBear

Medical students often learn very little about ME/CFS, and what they do learn is out of date and based on poor research.

This means that medical students leave their training ill-prepared for understanding or treating ME/CFS.

By participating in the actual biomedical research they not only learn far more about the disease but are also given the potential to find treatment or cause. This helps the student, the university and, ultimately, patient.

This project is aiming sponsor at least two medical students per year. The students will be attached to one of the projects being funded by the charity.

They will be supervised by professors involved in the research and learn about the disease as well as performing vital roles in the research itself. This may also involve seeing patients.

By intercalating in their fourth year they gain valuable insights into the disease as well as returning to their studies with more confidence and ability to educate other students about ME.

Invest in ME have had great success with their two recent intercalating fourth year medical students Navena Navaneetharaja and Bharat Harbham.

Navena spent over three months at Cornell University in New York with Professor Maureen Hanson and Bharat has been working under the guidance of Professor Angela Vincent in Oxford.

Navena and Bharat have been of great help to the IiME funded PhD student Daniel Vipond and all this work underpins the next phases of their continuing project to establish a Centre of Excellence for ME and a strategic range of biomedical research into this disease.

This is a project with a fairly achievable goal of £59k, and you can donate by clicking on the icon attached below in the sidebar: http://investinme.org/ce-ms-studs.shtml#pd

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-09-20 10.04.24.png
    Screenshot 2017-09-20 10.04.24.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: