• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help (Arizona) need new attorney SSDI hearing

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
I am in dire need of legal assistance for my disability hearing, scheduled for November 19th.

My current representation (a corporate entity based out of Utah) is non-responsive and has offered no guidance throughout the process.

I am seeking out a specific recommendation (or perhaps three) near Phoenix, Arizona.

If not a specific recommendation, does anyone have a link containing trustworthy or positively reviewed local advocacy options? Maybe ME/CFS friendly?

I've never been very good at whatever this is called, especially considering my diminished state.

Abstract thought and conceptualization .. good! Clearly expressing myself and effectively communicating with real live human beings .. bad!

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

i got on disability relatively easy. i had a good disability lawyer on contingency . most disability lawyers work on contingency basis. but maybe not in your area.

your doctor is the one that makes it easy or hard for you to get it. i had a great doctor, who made it easy. dont even think of doing it without a lawyer, not worth it. we are all too ill to do it ourselves.

good luck howard,

joanie

*GG*

I hope you get some help!

I was in the disability process for 5 years (State pension, not Social Security), and was finally getting some closure this spring. My lawyer was really shitty and dropped the ball on going after my Long Term Disability (LTD) part, he never asked me if I had coverage!

Even though when I was working, he went to a employer mandated (I had been out of work for nearly 3 months on Short Term Disability) Dr visit to clear me to go back to work. He was like you never told me, I was flabbergasted, I mean you want someone who has memory issues, part of this illness, to do your job? He touted 50 years experience and his daughter has the illness, I feel so betrayed!

Thought I was in good hands, know I might have to go back to work fullish time so I don't live below poverty level the rest of my life :( So it looks like I have lost out on a likely 50% of my former pay, which has left me living with my dysfunctional family and very unhappy!

GG

StarChild56

It is SO good of you to do some searching, @Forçe e Honra
:hug:

It is something I can and able to do so if it will help, I am happy to do so. There is not a lot I can do. But in my recliner, with my FIR heating pad, reclined, and my Chromebook on my torso on a firm pillow I can type and search in relative comfort.

I have a background in advocacy and in dealing with government entities, in billing Medical/Medicare. I advocated for and helped my mom when she was terminally ill. Navigating these systems are HARD.

My short term memory is crap, but a lot of my long term memory is intact. Luckily so, as I have had to continuously deal with insurance issues, claims, incorrectly filed claims, etc. I can't always handle these things, but I have my moments.

StarChild56

@Howard I concur with @Shoshana - can your sister or someone call these lawyers with you present, to try to get a consultation? You being present to A) give consent for them to speak to the lawyer and B) to answer questions.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Excellent if they could be present, for those reasons given.

But if not, (if sister could do a few calls from her own location but not soon enough AT your place)

then at least, perhaps sister could still do basic preliminary call, to ask office staff even,
if lawyer could be available for that date and to take on someone so soon, or if they are booked, or no longer practicing, and if so, who else they would refer you to.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I don't know if this will be any help but I think I saw this lawyer's name on prohealth or healthrising as a CFS attorney. He has written articles for them too, I think. He only handles AZ and NV otherwise I would have called him.

Also when I looked at his site before, I thought it had SSDI as a practice area but I am not seeing that now. :(

Even if he only does STD or LTD you could see if he knows someone else you could contact for SSDI.

I just think it is nice to get someone who knows about our condition and how to win cases that involve this.

Hope it helps. Here's the link to his site: https://www.scottdavispc.com/

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
Based on the limited information I have provided, are any or all of these following questions pertinent? …. proper things I should ask the attorney people?

Please note, most of these suggestions came from other forum users, such as yourselves. :)

A yes / no answer will suffice. I've already asked a lot of you people!

• Can this be done by the November 19th court date, and is someone available to do so?
  • I do not have any money, is this a problem?
  • Some other corporate entity is supposed to be helping me, but they're not. Does this complicate matters?
  • Do the courts have any idea that I won't be appearing in person? Do they send someone out to check on me? Evaluate me?
  • Does someone contact my doctor? She already said she would possibly testify, do you contact her … should I be doing something?
  • I started keeping a daily diary, should I be doing anything else to support my case? Testimonial letters?
  • Besides my wife and the doctor (and online therapist) no other humans have seen me during this calendar year. Should I make people come and see me? That way they could confirm my current status, right?
  • Do they accept pictures? I look pretty gosh-darn awful, would this help prove something? Before and after pictures?
  • I have innumerable interests and a zest for life, would it be pertinent for me to prove this somehow? Things I've missed, lost hobbies, events Etc.

I apologize for the redundancy, but my other options fell through and I need to do this. I figure if I have these things written down it will make my interactions less taxing.

I feel the need to mention this, my wife is very supportive, but is unable to help out right now due to a more pressing matter, believe it or not. It's amazing how so many seemingly random events and consecutive unprovoked instances can conspire against two very good people (especially my wife!).

I'm sure many of you can relate.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I think those are all good questions. The attorney should be able to answer them for you. I would have your sister start calling asap so you can possibly get someone by 11/19.

If you are housebound I do think you have to request a video hearing by submitting a certain ssa form. I'm not sure how the video hearings work but the attorney should be able to help with that.

Also I do think they look at testimonial letters or allow witnesses at your hearing.

I'm sorry you and your wife are going through so much and then to have this deadline...I hate deadlines. They make my CFS crash so much more.