• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heat/ chemicals in the air affecting brain function

On days when the temperature is in the 90's or higher, the chemicals in the air have been seriously affecting my brain function (even when I'm inside). I get very disoriented and can't think at all, for hours at a time. It completely incapacitates me and I have to stay in bed. I'm assuming that the chemicals in the air are getting through the blood-brain barrier and wreaking havoc.

I don't want to spend the summer like this. Can anyone please recommend something I can take to help prevent this? I'm currently taking vitamin C, B complex, multi-mineral, probiotics, and zinc. I do have methylation problems (I have a double variant in the MTHFR gene) and I've tried taking B12 and folic acid, but even small amounts of them adversely affect my sleep (I wake up after a few hours and can't go back to sleep).

Thanks

taniaaust1

are u sure it is chemicals affecting you and not it just being warmer in summer? I get sick just from the temp getting to 25 degrees celcius

Yes, I'm sure it's the chemicals from the air pollution causing my symptoms. On very hot days, the chemicals in the air are trapped closer to the ground by the ozone (or something like that). I'm having the symptoms when I'm indoors in an air conditioned house. I think it's a Multiple Chemical Sensitivity reaction, so I don't know if antihistamines would help, but it's worth a try.

I would greatly appreciate any other ideas that other may have as to how to treat this type of reaction.

Thanks again

taniaaust1

Yes, I'm sure it's the chemicals from the air pollution causing my symptoms. On very hot days, the chemicals in the air are trapped closer to the ground by the ozone (or something like that). I'm having the symptoms when I'm indoors in an air conditioned house. I think it's a Multiple Chemical Sensitivity reaction, so I don't know if antihistamines would help, but it's worth a try.

If its mostly noticable when indoors in aircon... make sure you also rule out that it isnt being caused by the aircon itself if you only tend to use it on hot days eg a lot of mold spores coming out from the air con. when its on.