• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Health declined after using Biopure microminerals

renski

Hi - about 7 weeks ago I took a small amount of this supplement called Biopure microminerals, initially I felt better but crashed about 24 hours later and have had chronic anxiety/depression/insomnia since then.

I've been running hair mineral analysis's every 6 months or so and I ran one about a month after taking this supplement, there seem to be some significant changes but I can't understand why:
- I seem to be dumping magnesium and boron now
- I'm no longer dumping copper
- My vanadium has dropped significantly
- Sodium has gone up, it's always been very low

It's as though my kidneys have stopped functioning, does anyone know what might have happened here? I'm not sure what mechanism causes the body to dump copper but I'm thinking something has broken because the copper has stopped dumping and magnesium/boron dumping is unusual.

thanks

Attachments

• 2018.08.10 Hair-Analysis-rn_5b70af1649f58.PDF
    66.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2018.11.23 Hair-Analysis-rn_5bfb1b820b614.PDF
    62.4 KB · Views: 14

Learner1

A few thoughts come to mind:
  • Hair may not give the best picture of minerals. Doctors Data also has urine/provoked urine tests ehich may give different results, depending on what path your body is using to excrete minerals. Provoked would also show true toxicity, which this test wouldn't show...
  • A shortage of selenium could mean you're short of glutathione, which might also be the case too if your B12 is low. What is your methylmalonic acid level?
  • All of these nutrients work with other cofactors. The fact that you've added minerals (I can't tell what kind fron the link you gave), maybe unblocked something and brought you to the next bottleneck. You'd also have to see where all your vitamin, lipid and amino acid levels are.
  • As the report says, copper could still be low. Can you do a standard test for copper and ceruloplasmin?
  • Both copper and manganese are used to made superoxide dismutase. Being short could lead to a peroxynitrite problem which could damage membranes and impair mitochondrial function.
I think you need more info...

renski

Thanks @Learner1: ceruloplasmin is low, rbc copper has always been low but my hair copper has always been high, which apparently is the body dumping it but for some reason my body has stopped dumping it.. whatever mechanism does that seems to have broke. My B12 is low I think, the methylmalonic has been elevated a little in the past but I know cobalt/lithium have always been low, for some reason they increased in my last test.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I've always been a bit leery of the liquid micro mineral products. They often contain trace amounts of bad minerals too such as nickel, cadmium, fluoride, arsenic, etc. This product doesn't list those things but the way they do list their ingredients by saying: "Minerals and Elements include:" makes me think there could be more in there they are not telling us about.

Plus, these companies always defend those things by saying those minerals are "already in" the source of their product or "they are within safe limits set by the government, etc."

Anyway, I would check with the company for some documentation of all the ingredients and then decide if you want to keep taking them because to my probably simplistic way of thinking of things, if the good minerals in the product make you feel better, couldn't the bad minerals make you feel worse? And people with ME/CFS are super hypersensitive to things as it is.

Hope you start feeling better again soon.

Learner1

From beyondfunctional.com:
Vitamin B12 Levels and Low Cobalt Status

When cobalt levels are low on the hair mineral test, I automatically have clients test their vitamin B12 status, either using a holotranscobalamin test or a urinary methylmalonic acid (MMA) test. The higher the MMA result, the lower the person’s vitamin B12 level. Both of these tests in conjunction is the best way of assessing vitamin B12 status.

Our bodies need B12 in order to make red blood cells, nerves, DNA, and carry out numerous other functions. An average adult needs to consume 2.4 micrograms per day, as we aren’t able to produce this vitamin. Deficiency of B12 causes anemia, though it can take 6-18 months of vitamin B12 depletion before anemia develops. Possible symptoms of B12 deficiency also include numbness and/or a “pins and needles” sensation in the hands or feet, difficulty walking, depression, paranoia and delusions, memory loss, incontinence, as well as loss of taste and smell.

I need about 10mg a day of B12, so please don't go out and use the dosage above without being checked.

Have you been checked for Wilson's disease?

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/hepatology/wilson-disease/

This has some info on copper that might be helpful:

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/copper-deficiency-blood-test-diseases/

LINE

I really don't see anything in that formula that could cause such adverse reactions in a short time. As another poster mentioned, perhaps there is something else in the formula but I am pretty sure they are forced to have truth in labeling. Perhaps an email enquiry would help.

Sodium and potassium balances generally revolve around adrenal health, typically with low levels of these two will indicate adrenal insufficiency which can cause some problems. Adrenals are active in the immune activation which is a centerpoint in ME - adrenals also respond to toxins and emotional/psychological stressors.

renski

Thanks for the replies. Something significant definitely broke after using the supplement, my Nutreval has changed a lot and I did a GI-MAP test which showed more gut issues

I'm trying to get help from but is anyone able to make sense of the Nutreval changes? I can see the obvious ones like B6, but my glycine is a bit higher now whereas it was being used up previously.. it's as though some process stopped working..

thanks

Attachments

• Nutreval Sep 2018 (1).pdf
    858.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PATIENT COPY 3572876.pdf
    837 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Archie

I did not find information that Biopure microminerals would be in the form which has good bioavailability, where did they got the minerals anyway ? Humans cant use rock form minerals/trace elements like plants do, we need organic forms or at least ionic , they dont say that Biopure microminerals are in ionic state, at least did not find it. I am suspicious about that mineral product, lack of information look's red flag . Being nano size is not necessarily a thing that can create good mineral product imo .

Nano particles and ions are different things, ions have charge, particles dont etc...

Thanks for the replies. Something significant definitely broke after using the supplement, my Nutreval has changed a lot and I did a GI-MAP test which showed more gut issues

I'm trying to get help from but is anyone able to make sense of the Nutreval changes? I can see the obvious ones like B6, but my glycine is a bit higher now whereas it was being used up previously.. it's as though some process stopped working..

thanks

I just saw this, so sorry if I am late to the party. The two best resources on getting the most out of the nutreval test are Richard Lord's book: https://b-ok.cc/book/5255411/b85ea8, he is the one that made the original organic acids test that has stuff added to it and other incarnations made such as the nutreval results you posted @renski . Then there is Dan Kalish's Institute for functional medicine, he is mentored by Richard weekly, and does interpretation, but also I found his youtube channel to be helpful in thinking of experiments: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1OH7pjErBNES_Znon4O3kw

I found out about the book and Richard through Dan's youtube site and the youtube site is a good way to find relevant information about these tests but in my opinion the book is even better for this particular test, then again it is 650 pages of really amazing information. I read it, took notes, and made my experiment plans in a week. good stuff. @LINE

renski

I just saw this, so sorry if I am late to the party. The two best resources on getting the most out of the nutreval test are Richard Lord's book: https://b-ok.cc/book/5255411/b85ea8, he is the one that made the original organic acids test that has stuff added to it and other incarnations made such as the nutreval results you posted @renski . Then there is Dan Kalish's Institute for functional medicine, he is mentored by Richard weekly, and does interpretation, but also I found his youtube channel to be helpful in thinking of experiments: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1OH7pjErBNES_Znon4O3kw

I found out about the book and Richard through Dan's youtube site and the youtube site is a good way to find relevant information about these tests but in my opinion the book is even better for this particular test, then again it is 650 pages of really amazing information. I read it, took notes, and made my experiment plans in a week. good stuff. @LINE

thanks, I gave up trying to interpret the results, wasn't really helping, I never fully understood what was going on in the amino acids section. Yep I've read that Richard Lord book too, he has a newer one out but can't find a copy of it. These tests haven't really helped me at all except to tell me that there is a problem.

thanks, I gave up trying to interpret the results, wasn't really helping, I never fully understood what was going on in the amino acids section. Yep I've read that Richard Lord book too, he has a newer one out but can't find a copy of it. These tests haven't really helped me at all except to tell me that there is a problem.

That is why I also found Kalish's videos helpful, for example, he says that the amino acids level a person should ideally have are in the upper quartile of the normal range. Also, in Lord's book, he says that some amino acids compete with others and thus taking multiple ones at the same time may be counter productive.

For Lord's other books, he came out with 4 of them in the last few years for ibooks but they're too expensive for me thus I haven't read them.

I need to wait for the ability to do private messages to talk to you more directly about these books and how a naturopath would interpret your tests given this guide. Did you want to contact me further to discuss that?