• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HEADACHES - What's your treatment?

S

Sandy

Liquid Flax Seed Oil stopped my Vascular Headaches

Hi Everyone,

The blood vessels in my temples constrict and cause swelling of the vessel behind the constriction point. That used to happen daily and the pain would escalate the more I moved. Sometimes the pain was severe.

After years of trying various treatments to no avail, I happened to add cold-pressed, liquid flax seed oil to my diet. I just take a tablespoon of it once or twice a day with a juice chaser. Within a week the headaches were gone!! It was like a miracle!

Flax seed oil helps thin the blood and relax the blood vessels. It also contains omega 3 essential fatty acids which are very important to the immune system and other areas of the body.

I buy the oil at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section.

Kind regards,
Sandy

S

SDD1244

I don't know about the rest of the women here, but once a month I get the headache from the depths of you know where ! :D In fact, the place where I get my massages call me the "Headache Queen". Well I think I will turn in my crown because some amazing things have happened since I started seeing my new neuro-chiropractor (and I've only had about 10 appointments with him).

I am shocked because my monthly headache was a normal headache and backache this month. This hasn't happened in over a decade. My neuro-chiropractor told me today that my other chiropractor probably wasn't addressing my nervous system problem and that is why I was getting worse with him. It is truly incredible and my neuro-chiropractor uses these tools and muscle testing techniques that are amazing.

SaraM

excedrin- prolotherapy -PRP

Excedrin is a miracle for my sinus or tension headache.

Prolotherapy for head ache due to neck injury and abnormal spinal MRI . Then recently switched to a newer form of prolo called Platelet Rich Plasma which is 2 or 3 times better than prolo. I am still getting this therapy.

SaraM

Angel,

I have had 5 sessions of regular prolo. Then my doctor here in Northern California started offering PRP. She just draws some blood, and gets the growth part of that after putting it in the centrifuge and inject it like prolo. More prolo docs are offering PRP every day. Some docs also offer HGH(human growth hormone) injection which is as good or even better than PRP based on what I have heard. My doc uses HGH only for knees. I am going to ask her to use it in my knees next time.

Victoria

Lcollins64,

this post is probably a bit late (in the season) but,

and this is probably a bit too simplistic an answer,

but,

1. Drink 2 glasses of water & wait to see if it was dehydration (this sometimes works for me).

2. Something like 86% of migraine sufferers get relief from regular doses of the herb, Feverfew (comes in tablets from the health shop I think - never tried it as usually the 2 glasses of water trick works for most simple headaches).

3. And the acupressure point (if I can describe it in words, that is)......

Assuming you're right-handed..............

a. Hold your LEFT (or opposite) hand out flat & bring your thumb close to the next finger.
b. This will create a puff of fat/tissue at the base of your thumb.
c. Get a biro or other relatively pointed stick (not pin or needle) & press hard in the centre of that pad of fat (well, it's not fat, but squeezing your thumb & the next finger creates a large raised area).
d. If you've got the correct place, you should feel a lessening of the pressure in your head. You might have to move the pointed object a fraction this way or that way to find it.

I know this works for an ordinary headache, might not work for the intensity of a migraine. But you should still be able to work out if you've got the correct pressure point.

Let me know how you go.

Victoria

PS I forgot to add that I twirl, or "needle" the pen (or pointed object) & press for about 5 minutes or so.

Victoria

Chiropractic is not as big here in Australia as it is in the US, but I had regular Chiropractic treatment (plus trigger point therapy & acupressure & a whole lot more) from 1980 up until a few years ago (when it stopped working).

Back, neck, shoulder, hip, headache was all treated successfully up until that time I stopped (even nausea).

I wonder whether I had FM from 1980 (not from May 2006 when I was formally diagnosed).

Victoria

migraine help

Hello,
I also get migraines, and was a participant in Dr. Baraniuk's study. I also had a high reading on the spinal fluid pressure, but I am still not sure it has any correlation.

Anyway, I have had relief with physical therapy and acupuncture for daily headaches (tension type), but not for the migraines.

I had a lengthly talk with Dr. Baraniuk at a followup after the study and he suggested I talk to my primary care doctor or a neurologist about trying a beta blocker. So, my PCP agreed (it is amazing how much more she is willing to try since I participated in Dr. B's research!) started me on Propranolol.

It has only been a few months, and already I have had great results. Instead of several a month, I only got one in the past 4 months, and it was easily treated with Imitrex, and I had a speedy recovery (not a long "migraine hangover" that was typical before).

BTW - migraines are not just a headache - they area a full body experience.

I have no idea how or why beta blockers work for migraines. Perhaps, Cort, you could help explain that?

Lucy

caledonia

Mine sound like the person with the headache around the right side and behind the eye, with nausea. I was taking 4 ibuprofin every 4 hours for mine. They would last for up to a couple of days. I found out they were related to changes in the weather (barometer/air pressure). Every time a front came through, whether rainy or sunny, I would get these headaches.

Now I rarely get these headaches, and if I do, one dose of 4 ibuprofin is enough to kill it off.

I now take essential fatty acids (EFA's), which work great for me. That would be fish oil plus evening primrose oil. If taken correctly it has a great anti-inflammatory effect. If taken incorrectly it has a pro-inflammatory effect.

The correct way is a lot of fish oil (EPA/DHA), and a tiny bit of evening primrose oil (GLA). The amount contained in one evening primrose oil capsule is way too much, so will have to find some way to dilute it down to the correct dose. I dilute mine with olive oil or canola oil and put it in a dropper bottle, such that one drop equals 1 Mg.

A general formula is 4-24 Grams of pharmaceutical grade fish oil and 1-12 Mg of evening primrose oil.

Any fish oil taken in mega doses should be pharmaceutical grade due to mercury in fish.

I personally take 1mg of evening primrose oil and 12G of fish oil. I use Sears Labs brand which is twice as powerful as other brands.

Taking EFA's will help your body produce both good and bad eicosanids aka prostaglandins which are the body's natural painkillers or pain creators. If you use the formula I gave, you will be producing good eicosanoids and lessening pain. However, if you take too much GLA, at first you will feel good, then over time you will begin to feel very bad as you will be getting a bad eicoanoid overload.

Read Barry Sears book The Zone for more info on how and why this works. Note: aspirin works by lowering both good and bad eicosanoids.

EFA supplementation also has many other benefits such as helping with concentration, mood, PMS, cramps, dry eyes and mouth, etc. etc.

There is a reason they are called "essential"...

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Maxalt

Maxalt has been my magic pill. I find that if I take it AT THE FIRST SIGN of migraine, it will prevent the pain. I still have the other migraine symptoms for 3 days but it kills the horrid pain.

If I don't take it in time my doctor will give me a shot of demerol and gravol mixed and that helps me.

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post a reply to me. I will go back and read them again..and again...and again, and write some notes!!!
:)
I haven't been on here lately as I continually forget my username and/or password. I know this isn't the thread to ask on...but since I can't find where to ask....how do I change my password? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Victoria

lcollins64,

I never need to use my password as I have put the Phoenix Forum site as a "Favourite". All my Favourite web sites are listed down the left side of my screen.

When I entered the Forum a different way (ie your normal way) I had forgotten my original password.

I had to get it from Cort I think.

Then you go to User CP on the top left hand side of the forum screen.

Click on that & then go to the 3rd Heading which is Settings & Options.

Then go to Edit Email & Password.

But you'll need your original password from one of the Moderators (or Cort).

I re-use variations of the original password I started using at work many years ago. I have it written down somewhere (which I'm not going to say as it's the same as one of my other security passwords).

I have 3 passwords at work & so many different sites & banking online type of things that I find it easiest to stick to three words only (word plus or minus a number).

So ask Cort to trace your original password.

When you get it, go in & re-set it to something you can't forget (or if you do write it down in your diary, address book or some secret place where you store all your id's).

I can't necessarily remember which password belongs to which, but I can remember the secret place I've stored all my passwords.

Victoria

BEG

Plagued by migraines-this really worked

And the acupressure point (if I can describe it in words, that is)......Assuming you're right-handed..............

a. Hold your LEFT (or opposite) hand out flat & bring your thumb close to the next finger.
b. This will create a puff of fat/tissue at the base of your thumb.
c. Get a biro or other relatively pointed stick (not pin or needle) & press hard in the centre of that pad of fat (well, it's not fat, but squeezing your thumb & the next finger creates a large raised area).
d. If you've got the correct place, you should feel a lessening of the pressure in your head. You might have to move the pointed object a fraction this way or that way to find it.

Before starting a thread on migraines, I thought I would do a search and -- here it is. So many good ideas in here. I also read Cort's thread on plastic surgery and botox for migraines. Interesting. But I'm suffering right now and need something quickly. I usually take Immitrex (50mgs.) and it works. However, it leaves me feeling more drained than usual, and it has a negative effect on standing and walking. Victoria's suggestion required no trips to the store or any doctor/therapy visits. All I needed was a pen to press into my thumb. It worked. I'm surprised and amazed. My first experience with acupuncture. My thumb has an indentation, but my head feels much better. Thanks, Victoria.:victory: