• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Head Muscle pain and tightening when speaking

ChrisD

Does anyone else find that where the muscles around their voicebox have weakened, that they have to work harder to speak and further muscles become strained?

At the moment I’m dealing with a number of weird issues in my body including Low testosterone levels https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/low-testosterone-men.76017/page-2#post-2200483 and I’m not sure if it’s a vocal disorder but my voice has become weaker and higher.

When I speak I’m having pain and tightness throughout my head (in the locations I’ve marked up in the image), it feels a bit like the muscles in my head are made of tired old sticky tack that is snapping and cracking. When it all becomes so tight I turn my head and it all crack so loudly.

I’m honestly not stressed or that uptight it’s just that it feels like the muscles are overworking in my neck around the voicebox and straining everything else. It’s making me not want to speak to anyone.

2015B69E-9597-43B6-AF41-2DD002AA133D.jpeg

To add to all this, the overworking and tension of these muscles is causing strange coordination perception an upsetting my balance. And when I lie down at night it feels like I am spinning as the muscles relax and randomly contract from all the tension.

Last edited: