• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

“Head injury effects halted by xenon gas, finds first ever life-long study in mice“

Jackb23

This research is still in the early stages, and they studied the effects when it was administered directly after a tbi, but nonetheless, this may eventually bare good news for those with neuroinflammation.

Now, researchers from Imperial College London and Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz have found that the anaesthetic drug xenon, given shortly after a TBI, prevents early death and long-term cognitive impairment and protects brain tissue itself in mice. The xenon-treated mice had a similar life expectancy, cognitive function, and brain tissue integrity, to mice that had never sustained a TBI.

Previously, the same team led by Dr Robert Dickinson and colleagues at Imperial's Department of Surgery & Cancer, showed xenon limited early brain damage and improved long-term motor function in mice with TBI. However, they had yet to look at xenon's effect on life expectancy, long-term cognitive function and brain tissue degeneration after TBI.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190521075057.htm

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Jackb23 - very very interesting!

Lead author of the study, Dr Rita Campos-Pires says in the study you linked above:
Xenon appears to act in a variety of ways, but one of the most likely mechanisms to explain its protective effects on brain tissue is by inhibiting receptors in the brain known as NMDA receptors, that become over-activated following a brain injury

frozenborderline

What's the ball park amount for enough for 100 people for a year? Just thinking of a group buy.
It seems like once you get into the level of bulk where you’re buying at least 100 liters, price lowers to about 10$/L. I would think that a liter would be enough to have very significant effects f what I’ve read, but it seems like for full anwsthesia doses, it’s closer to 6 liters over a full course of surgery. I don’t know how much would be needed for lasting beneficial effects but probably if 100 people spend 50$ they can at least get a pretty solid amount for repeated sessions and try it more than a few times

frozenborderline

I’m talking mostly about suppliers on alibaba, you should be able to get an idea by looking on there. Althiugh my local noble gas supplier had less good deals. “Hi this is Jim at Noble Gas Solution. We have in stock 4 cylinders of Xenon. They are 250 Liter size cost would be 3500.00 each. I am working on pricing“

frozenborderline

Ahhh, yes... even more literature pertaining to the benefits of NMDA blockade.
Yes but note in my other post that xenon lacks some of the toxicity that other nmda antagonist anaesthetics have and even inhibits their toxicity when co administered. It also has tons of other effects directly on various ion channels etc. so it’s probably not as simple as nmda blockade being responsible for the effects

frozenborderline

Xenon induces robust cardioprotectionand neuroprotection through a variety of mechanisms. Through its influence on Ca2+, K+, KATP\HIF, and NMDA antagonism, xenon is neuroprotective when administered before, during and after ischemic insults.[147][148] Xenon is a high affinity antagonist at the NMDA receptor glycine site.[136] Xenon is cardioprotective in ischemia-reperfusion conditions by inducing pharmacologicnon-ischemic preconditioning. Xenon is cardioprotective by activating PKC-epsilon and downstream p38-MAPK.[149]Xenon mimics neuronal ischemic preconditioning by activating ATP sensitive potassium channels.[150]Xenon allosterically reduces ATP mediated channel activation inhibition independently of the sulfonylurea receptor1 subunit, increasing KATP open-channel time and frequency.[151]