• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HDL always low, HDL/LDL ratio too, reasons?

amaru7

Hi,
over the years I've done allot of blood testings and the variations are amazing sometimes, almost like random. One this that has been persistent with me though is low HDL, what are the reasons for this? I eat normal amounts of fish like once or twice a week at least, allot of thuna.

Ah and trygliceredes came very high in my last testing like 8x the allowed limit. I try to reduce it but I snack on occasion. Still that wouldn't explain it imo.

Any idea what these could be?

As for fish oil, I just don't like it, it has a fishy smell and often almost like rancid, so I prefer not taking this as a remedy, if I don't have to. Krill oil is too expensive.

Moof

There are inherited conditions where blood lipids are abnormal. Some people with a family history of heart disease may have this, but like many genetic conditions, it can also occur randomly. Might this be the basis of it?

Not all fish oil smells bad. I loathe fish – the smell's enough to make me sick, never mind the taste! – but the oil I take doesn't have any fishy odour. It's called Minami MorEPA Platinum, and is slightly orange flavoured. However, if you're able to cope with eating actual fish, you probably don't need to supplement anyway.

Wishful

Lowered HDL seems to be something that normally happens with age. My doctor noticed it last examination, and wanted me to take fish oil or statins, but I did my research and found that fish oil doesn't really do much for heart health. At most it reduces the risk of some forms of heart disease by a barely measurable amount. In comparison, walking a reasonable amount each week reduces the risk by 70-90%.

I walk, therefore the fishies can swim without fear from me.

Wishful

I think it's reasonable exercise in whatever form that counts for heart health. Something that gets the heart pumping a bit more.

I admit to being a bit annoyed at GPs who prescribe fish oil (no significant scientific benefit) or statins (nasty side effects) for people who aren't at high risk of heart problems, and that they don't even bother to mention the comparatively enormous benefits of even mild exercise.

Moof

I admit to being a bit annoyed at GPs who prescribe fish oil (no significant scientific benefit) or statins (nasty side effects) for people who aren't at high risk of heart problems, and that they don't even bother to mention the comparatively enormous benefits of even mild exercise.

I haven't been given that advice, to be honest (possibly because I don't have high cholesterol). I just developed severe hand eczema a few months after ME – it was horrible, my skin was permanently cracked, bleeding and painful. A few years later, I discovered by accident that two grams of good fish oil a day completely cures it. It starts to build up again after a week or so with no oil, so I do my best to make sure I'm never without a stash! Just seems my ME body needs more of this kind of fatty acid than I get in my normal diet for some reason.

Wishful

Doctors and health magazines should stop draining the oceans of fish (oil) for no purpose and leave it for people for whom it is actually useful.

I wonder how many people make a decision each day to not exercise because they took a fish oil tablet or ate a portion of some food that is supposed to reduce heart attack risk, therefore no need to exercise.

Poor little fishies. :(

pamojja

over the years I've done allot of blood testings and the variations are amazing sometimes, almost like random. One this that has been persistent with me though is low HDL, what are the reasons for this? I eat normal amounts of fish like once or twice a week at least, allot of thuna.

Ah and trygliceredes came very high in my last testing like 8x the allowed limit.

Information about HDL results, and how to increase: https://selfhacked.com/blog/hdl-cholesterol/

https://blog.undoctored.com/i-raised-my-hdl-by-350/

https://blog.undoctored.com/the-secrets-in-your-triglycerides/

My sister claims it comes from our Finnish ancestry. I have an aunt who is in her 90's and in excellent health. Her HDL is low and her LDL is high. She refuses to take statins.

Timaca

Hi amaru7~
You don't mention what your diet consists of. A diet of whole foods, primarily plants gives the best chance of having normal lipid numbers. In this article, you can read how such a diet causes triglycerides to plummet. (Read the paragraph above the heading "Could it Work at Home?" for the statement about triglycerides falling.

Here is another article by Brenda Davis on the same topic.

For more info on diet and heart disease check out videos on YouTube by Dr. Kim Williams (past president of the American College of Cardiology and current chief of Cardiology at Rush University Medical Center), Dr. Robert Ostfeld (cardiologist at Montfiore Medical Center in NYC) and Dr. Michael Klaper. If you can't find the videos, I can give you links. They all recommend a diet rich in whole plant foods, void of animal products and processed foods.

Best,