• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has there been any news from Dr. Davis or others?

BrightCandle

Summary
  • Developed a way to easily look for for viruses, bacteria and fungus, nothing found so far.
  • Nanoneedle diagnostic held up on NIH grants still, situation hasn't changed.
  • Problems with doctors only looking at standard tests and still told they don't believe patients.
  • Cell de-formality depends on oxygen concentration. That was the issue with moving the blood, Dr WAN UC Davis worked it out. Working on an impedance based test to test cheaper. Another potential diagnostic I think.
  • Proposal into OMF looking at Neutrophils, NKs. Another assay for looking at them, they are short lived and die from freezing so they need a finger prick or similar device since labs stabalise and freeze blood. Another potential diagnostic I assume.
  • Sweat induction way to produce some sweat and assay from it. Could be a warning system.
  • Crashing - had a student that had ME/CFS that was bedbound, had the theory crashing maintained the disease state, avoided crashing at all costs and recovered.
Notable missing things
Not a word on all the drug testing they were doing on the yeast modified to have a tryptophan trap.

BrightCandle

I dont think Ive ever heard a more disappointing update.

It was pretty bad. The situation around the nanoneedle is just a mess of university career politics that annoys the heck out of me, people are suffering but a researcher can't get tenure if they work to help them, they have funding but not funding that leads to tenure so its all on hold. They live in a different world to the sufferers of this disease.

Rufous McKinney

I dont think Ive ever heard a more disappointing update.

It was pretty bad. The situation around the nanoneedle is just a mess

I listened to this last night before I went to bed.

It left me incredibly discouraged. Which of course was not their intention. Nor their fault.

But still.

Its not the researchers fault the system isn't set up to actually find cures. That nobody is really collaborating. That COVID becomes the lame excuse to make no progress on much of anything.

Its poignant, really. Ironic too somehow.

Hopeful1976

Summary
  • Developed a way to easily look for for viruses, bacteria and fungus, nothing found so far.
  • Nanoneedle diagnostic held up on NIH grants still, situation hasn't changed.
  • Problems with doctors only looking at standard tests and still told they don't believe patients.
  • Cell de-formality depends on oxygen concentration. That was the issue with moving the blood, Dr WAN UC Davis worked it out. Working on an impedance based test to test cheaper. Another potential diagnostic I think.
  • Proposal into OMF looking at Neutrophils, NKs. Another assay for looking at them, they are short lived and die from freezing so they need a finger prick or similar device since labs stabalise and freeze blood. Another potential diagnostic I assume.
  • Sweat induction way to produce some sweat and assay from it. Could be a warning system.
  • Crashing - had a student that had ME/CFS that was bedbound, had the theory crashing maintained the disease state, avoided crashing at all costs and recovered.
Notable missing things
Not a word on all the drug testing they were doing on the yeast modified to have a tryptophan trap.
For goodness sake. Still no movement on the nano needle. What about all the donation money the omf get? Surely, the nanoneedle is more important than most? It's all so bizarre and makes no sence. Years and years of the same words. I've had enough of it all.

GlassCannonLife

Isn't Ron quite famous though.? Was it work on the human genome project? I can't remember..

I find it hard to believe that he can't eg set up a fund-raiser with some rich and powerful friends and friends of friends and raise some money.. I think he's just going through the motions at this point to be honest.. In his 80s, can't be bothered but can't bear giving up. 😕

Isn't Ron quite famous though.? Was it work on the human genome project? I can't remember..

I find it hard to believe that he can't eg set up a fund-raiser with some rich and powerful friends and friends of friends and raise some money.. I think he's just going through the motions at this point to be honest.. In his 80s, can't be bothered but can't bear giving up. 😕

He does fundraise. For example, this work on the metabolic trap was funded by an entrepreneur:

If work wasn't funded by the OMF then he doesn't talk about it in OMF videos.

Rufous McKinney

Announcing: Dr. Prusty is more hopeful than ever! Message below is encouraging.

From a recent post:

Bhupesh K Prusty

@BhupeshPrusty

·
May 12

"Today for the first time we had a long discussion on ME/CFS research in our lab meeting where everyone except for me was a non-ME researcher. was a interesting discussion & was clear that exciting & modern science is on its way to solve this disease. Am hopeful than ever before."

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
To those who are criticizing Ron Davis above:

In the video, he says that he DID find private donors to support Rahim’s work on the nanoneedle, but Rahim’s department at UC Davis told him that if he wants tenure, he has to get NIH grants. Rahim has submitted several applications, all of which have been denied. Ron discussed the dumb reasons given on the most recent denial. NIH claims that the biology of the disease must be understood before they will fund the nanoneedle.

Ron is working incredibly hard to find answers for all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

maybe some day

@rebecca1995
I agree. We are all yearning for any positive news to fill any void of hope. I think we all can respect everything hes done, on top of caring for his son and of course his very own well being.

He has alot of shoes to fill, and could easily walk away from all of us.