• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried cocaine for their ME/CFS

I have been searching and I´ve come across some studies on cocaine and its effect on NK-cells. Just a small amount of cocaine caused an almost fourfold increase in NK cell activity. I read about a doctor who had a
hypothesis, that cocain could restart the system in ME/CFS patients. I would really like your thougts on this, and hear if you know anybody who have tried this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC424504/pdf/jcinvest00127-0343.pdf
Did you ever try it?

Many years ago, I met a man whose onset of ME/CFS started with a single use of cocaine. He'd never tried it before, and never tried it again. But his ME was profoundly debilitating and long-standing.​
Hi, are you still on here? I am curious about this.....how did he know it was from the Cocaine? Was it an immediate reaction? So he went from totally fit and healthy to ME/CFS over night after using C just once?

Rufous McKinney

Cocaine is a very bad drug.
YES it is.

Observed similar problems, with friends etc.

It's not immediately addicting. Instead its: wow I feel so GREAT. And immediately after that feeling, you're wondering what to do about running out. so before you've even run out, you're worried. It creates a total rip off.

Anyway, today, how in the world could you even trust any white powder substances? Its probably got fentanyl in it.

Wayne

Hi, are you still on here? I am curious about this.....how did he know it was from the Cocaine? Was it an immediate reaction? So he went from totally fit and healthy to ME/CFS over night after using C just once?

Hi @NewOrl -- Yep, still here. :)

As I recall (which I think is pretty accurate), he was "normal healthy" when he took a single dose of cocaine on a Saturday night, and woke up the next morning severely debilitated, and never improved. I guess the cocaine could have been laced with something else, but I suspect it was the cocaine that delivered some kind of traumatic blow to his brain wiring.

To me, it's at least somewhat in line with a number of other stories I've read about how CFS often begins with a traumatic event. It most often seems to be some kind of infection, such as EBV, or Lyme, etc. But it can also be a physical trauma, like the young, strapping 25-year old policeman who dove into a freezing lake to save somebody's life. He got sick, and never recovered.

I've also heard stories of people going through exceptional stress, lowering their resistance to disease, and lowering the ability of their immune system to respond to pathogens. I actually think the normal body probably harbors a number of pathogens, but is normally able to keep them at bay with a healthy, functioning immune system. So when stress hits, a virus can become activated, leading to chronic fatigue, and chronic immune dysfunction.

My above reasoning fits in with my own CFS picture, which I believe started with a serious head injury/whiplash as a teenager, a severe chemical exposure a few years later, which made me much more susceptible to environmental chemicals in general, and a chronic, ongoing trauma of an overload of amalgams and crown metals in my mouth.

Addressing these factors, and doing everything I can think of to "reset" my whole entire system has allowed me over the years to go from an average functionality of around 20%, to my current approx. 70%. I currently regularly do a number of energy and polarity balancing to bring my chronically stressed electrical system back into harmony. I've thought of starting a thread on some of my techniques, but I don't really know how much interest there would be.

Rufous McKinney

but I don't really know how much interest there would be.

You offer up wonderful suggestions. Your incredibly good at figuring alot of things out.

Its unfortunate so few are willing to investigate energetic medicine, etc.

Like the bio magnets: They are incredibly wonderful and helpful. And nobody much EVER asks me a question when I mention them.

or the b-caryophylene I slather on: did that just get rid of my lymphoma? (because something went away it seems)

so, perhaps you could blog or do some modest installment column; PR is getting more exposure lately, wiht all the long covid victims.

As I recall (which I think is pretty accurate), he was "normal healthy" when he took a single dose of cocaine on a Saturday night, and woke up the next morning severely debilitated, and never improved. I guess the cocaine could have been laced with something else, but I suspect it was the cocaine that delivered some kind of traumatic blow to his brain wiring.

To me, it's at least somewhat in line with a number of other stories I've read about how CFS often begins with a traumatic event. It most often seems to be some kind of infection, such as EBV, or Lyme, etc. But it can also be a physical trauma, like the young, strapping 25-year old policeman who dove into a freezing lake to save somebody's life. He got sick, and never recovered.

I've also heard stories of people going through exceptional stress, lowering their resistance to disease, and lowering the ability of their immune system to respond to pathogens. I actually think the normal body probably harbors a number of pathogens, but is normally able to keep them at bay with a healthy, functioning immune system. So when stress hits, a virus can become activated, leading to chronic fatigue, and chronic immune dysfunction.

My above reasoning fits in with my own CFS picture, which I believe started with a serious head injury/whiplash as a teenager, a severe chemical exposure a few years later, which made me much more susceptible to environmental chemicals in general, and a chronic, ongoing trauma of an overload of amalgams and crown metals in my mouth.

Addressing these factors, and doing everything I can think of to "reset" my whole entire system has allowed me over the years to go from an average functionality of around 20%, to my current approx. 70%. I currently regularly do a number of energy and polarity balancing to bring my chronically stressed electrical system back into harmony. I've thought of starting a thread on some of my techniques, but I don't really know how much interest there would be.
Thank you

Thank you so much for your reply. There was clearly a cause and effect then if it happened overnight. I know some people try to use stimulates to help their CFS but I've never come across Cocaine being the cause and I wonder if others have been similarly affected but I guess it wouldn't be something people openly discussed that often.

I think your thread sounds like a great idea! I'd be interested for sure! Most if not all of us have several dysregulated nervous systems so I'm sure everyone would like tips on how to bring the balance back 🙂

Long Haul Mono

I recall reading an article about a woman who described her experience with cocaine. She initially described how it was great to be able to keep up with her friends, ie going out and 'enjoying the good life' but the expected and inevitable crash had to come, and it did. She described a serious relapse.
I wish I could find the reference as it may be a good read for this post.

Another drug (starting with 'c' ;)) is Cortene. I'm cautiously watching this develop, and there's information about trial data here, but it is fairly old (Sept '21) so I'm not sure how much closer they are to making this a treatment available to the public.
The strange approach they use is not to down-regulate the 'stress pathway' but to over-saturate it which (they claim) shuts it down.

I recall reading an article about a woman who described her experience with cocaine. She initially described how it was great to be able to keep up with her friends, ie going out and 'enjoying the good life' but the expected and inevitable crash had to come, and it did. She described a serious relapse.
I wish I could find the reference as it may be a good read for this post.

Another drug (starting with 'c' ;)) is Cortene. I'm cautiously watching this develop, and there's information about trial data here, but it is fairly old (Sept '21) so I'm not sure how much closer they are to making this a treatment available to the public.
The strange approach they use is not to down-regulate the 'stress pathway' but to over-saturate it which (they claim) shuts it down.
I wonder more about how many people developed ME/CFS from Cocaine use.