• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried an Avocado mattress?

Woof!

Hey all, from the achy-breaky back and neck department...

It's time I got a new mattress for my bed. Has anyone tried the newer Avocado Green mattress? I love that they're from organic materials, and pretty darn non-toxic* to boot. Unfortunately, there are no stores within a 4-hour drive of me that carry them.

(*Last week, I visited a local mattress store only to run out of it minutes later, super-sick, dizzy and nauseous from the out-gassing fumes.)

Avocado mattresses can be ordered online, and they have a full-refund policy for a year if you promise to give them at least a 30-day trial. They've got a really good Consumers Report rating, and they're supposed to be fairly firm, too. (I need a firm mattress.)

So what do you think? Should I give one a try?

Woof!

lenora

Hi @Woof.....Well, best of luck! I tried an Avocado mattress and it did not suit my body at all. Now other people have them and are very pleased.

I also tried probably 4 mattresses until my pelvic injuries....and I've had no luck with any of them. This could be complicated by my body, no help there, the fact that we have an adjustable king sized bed, separate bases (twin) with a king-sized headboard and this has cost $$ only b/c some mattresses require a $50 return fee.

Avocado and one other organic firm were great about returns and not having to pay the fee. I bought it via Amazon, and it was picked up and taken away. I had every hope (know someone who likes and uses it),but then it's not an adjustable base.

Mattress and pillow buying used to be so easy.....now it's like learning chess when you're twelve mos. old. Younger people may find it easier, only because they're used to these products.

Can you replace your mattress with the one you liked before? (I couldn't). I need a new mattress but have no idea how such a thing will occur.

You tried to help me out before....it's a problem. I have FM, so that adds another dimension. Sometimes I think I'd do better just sleeping on the floor.....I used to do that when all else failed. Knees prevent getting down and especially up now. Good luck & let us know if you find something. Lenora

minimus

I‘m housebound, so my wife had to do our new mattress shopping for us. First, we ordered an adjustable bed because I need to sleep on an incline and my wife does not.

We first bought mattresses from Plushbeds, which are organic and seem to get excellent online reviews. Their mattresses are way too soft and cushy to provide any low back support. Plushbeds eventually told us to donate the mattresses, so we gave them away to someone in our apartment building and that person ended up throwing the mattresses away because he also found them to be uncomfortable. So avoid if you need a firm mattress.

We then moved on to Avocado, which gets somewhat mixed online reviews, with some people claiming the mattresses are too firm, smell like sheep or a barnyard and/or caused allergic reactions. I am highly allergic so was worried about Avocado, but I have had no reaction to their mattress, and didn’t notice any odor. After about three months, I find their basic Avocado Green mattress to be quite comfortable. Their top-of-the line Organic Luxury mattress does not provide enough low back support for me, so stick with the Green model.

I seem to recall that Avocado has annual Memorial Day and Labor Day sales, so you might wait until then to see if you can get a discount.

The other mattress brand I can recommend if you can afford it is Royal-Pedic. That’s the brand we had before Avocado. Organic, firm but very comfortable, lasts a really long time, and sold at retailers. Prices are very high though and I don’t think they offer a trial period.

lenora

Hello @minimus.....Thanks for your experiences. We've had our adjustable bed for approx. 10 yrs. now, and the mechanical part & remote are in good condition. Is yours old or new?

I just tried to check out the Avocado Green line....and could find nothing on it (at least on Amazon). I would like to say that another mattress we tried during our journey has been Casper. No go.

My husband and my daughter (visiting in July) should probably go mattress hunting as I simply can't. Who knew how difficult this was going to be? The maker of our original mattress has gone out of business...as in has been gone for many years. My husband still likes the original mattress. I'm fine when lying flat, it's the sitting up to read, watch TV, etc., that bother me. FM flare ups don't help, nor does the many fractures I've had. (I've had osteoporosis itself since I was 40 or so). I've been on medication all of that time, but I guess I'm lucky that I didn't need surgery....just a long time to come back to going anywhere or doing anything. (After trying natural means.)

PT has been helpful (at home). It's just the fatigue and healing (up to a year) that's keeping me inside. I do sit on the our porch in the a.m., but I keep myself occupied by reading, e-mails to friends and laughing as much as possible. I'll bear in mind both good mattresses that you mentioned. Get comfortable, folks! Yours, Lenora

minimus

Hi @lenora,

We got an adjustable bed only recently. Prior to that, I slept in a recliner for quite some time because my reflux was so severe, I couldn’t lie flat at night. I’m getting used to sleeping on a mattress again after years in a recliner.

I’m not sure Avocado sells mattresses on Amazon. If you instead just go to the Avocado mattress website and click on the red “Shop Mattresses” button on the home page, the Avocado Green Mattress is the one that appears first on the top left of the next web page. The twin version of this mattress costs $1,199. I see that they are already running a 10% off sale for Memorial Day, so you can get a $120 discount for the next couple of weeks.

Avocado has a generous trial policy. If you don’t like the mattress, they ask you to donate it and give you a full refund. Makes life a little easier if you can’t go out shopping for a mattress. Good luck.

lenora

Hi @ Minimus,

Actually we bought an Avocado mattress during our very first try, and it was readily picked up and donated to a homeless group. The mattress was bought on Amazon (excellent delivery, etc.) but I didn't even know there was such a thing as an Avocado Green. Now that I know about it, Amazon doesn't seem to carry the brand.

May I ask if you bought the pillowtop?......or has anyone else with an adjustable bed? I hate to keep wasting money (in some cases) and essentially no-profits for the many companies we have tried.

The Avocado Green does get good reviews....I'm just waiting until they open in CA in order to find out as much as possible. Won't be ordering through Amazon, b/c the last one (not as well put together) as the Green, is not what I need. Even I don't know what I need.

Years ago we had a pillowtop mattress, it was moved to an upstairs room when the adjustable bed came to be (while I had shingles). It was very comfortable, but then we hadn't used it with the adjustable bed. A few summers ago we had major renovation on our bathroom done and spent the whole summer on the original pillowtop. I liked it a lot, although it wasn't on a mechanical bed.

Mechanical beds are very helpful, but if there are two of you, you really need to buy the king size and then there are two separate twin mattresses and each can be adjusted to whatever you desire. Expensive....yes, but pain and severe insomnia are expensive to the body. No chance for healing. Thanks for the info. Very informative.
We'll definitely wait until Memoria Day (approaching quickly) in order to see if there is a better sale than the 10%. I would like to get this matter settled....it has been dragging on for well over a year. Yours Lenora.

Woof!

Can you replace your mattress with the one you liked before? (I couldn't).
Hi Lenora. The original plan was to replace my old mattress with the same model, but the idea of organically sourced materials intrigues me, especially since I react so badly to chemical outgassing.

lenora

Hello @Woof!,

Yes, @minimus has been very generous in sharing his experience(s) with us. I know you have an adjustable bed, so you may be interested in the fact that the Avocado Green can also be purchased with a pillowtop attached. The one I have now, can be flipped and turned, not just from top to bottom.

Also, of interest to you may be the fact that we bought another air purifier, this one much smaller than the the original model (very small in comparison), and all including the furnaces have HEPA filters. The bedroom is so much clearer of dust that it used to be.....I also have problems with pretty well anything (the older you get....and it's so true). So yes, off-gassing was a concern of mine and I like the idea of all natural materials. I know you have problems also, so an air-purifier may help also. (Of course we're all just made of money, right?). My husband bought it online via Amazon and it was about $100, ever so much cheaper than when they first came out.

I'm taking very seriously the comments about the set-up of the mattress. Our bedroom is downstairs, but still....! I'd be interested in anything you do or find out. Oh, one other question @maximus....is it hot. We live in a very hot climate, lower the temp. before sleep and then keep two fans running through the night. We live in a hot climate, and one minute I'm hot, then cold and so it goes. Thanks! Yours, Lenora.

minimus

Hi @lenora, We got a split king adjustable bed - which is essentially two twin mattresses side by side - so that I can sleep on an incline and my wife can sleep flat.

My wife went to an Avocado showroom and hedged her bets by buying a twin Avocado Green mattress with no pillowtop for her side of the bed and a twin Avocado Luxury Plush mattress for my side, thinking it would be more comfortable for me. The Luxury Plush is about three times as expensive as the Green mattress, has a pillowtop, and is one of the thickest mattresses I’ve ever seen. I found that this Avocado Luxury Plush mattress was too cushy and didn’t provide me with enough low back support, causing worse back and muscle pain. Even my wife - who is healthy - found it to be uncomfortable. So we returned it and we both sleep on Avocado Green mattresses without pillowtops.

So far, we haven‘t found the mattress to be hot, though I don’t have much to compare it to.

@Woof! It‘s probably a good idea to go with an organic mattress if you have environmental sensitivities or MCAS symptoms. Regular mattress companies apparently use glues and flame retardants that offgas chemicals and can smell bad. For example, Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattresses, which some (healthy) people love, have a really strong chemical smell that lasts for months. Fifteen years ago, Royal-Pedic was the only company that I could find that made organic/nontoxic mattresses, but now there are a lot more companies, so it‘s easy to find a nontoxic mattress nowadays.

Mouse girl

I got a topper from Avocado. I love that company and loved that they are so green. Sadly, i started to get an allergic reaction to it after a week and I was so bummed as it was nice and firm which is so hard to find in toppers. I read that if you have hayfever type allergies, you can be prone to get allergic reactions to natural latex.

I had gone into one of the showrooms to try to mattresses first as one was close enough for me. Again, loved the store, the concept, the worker there knew so much and was so helpful but...........for me, the bed would not do for me at all. I am small and light. They have springs that are much harder in the area where someone's butt would go, so for me, it pushed mine up like I was laying on a bed with a balance beem running across it. I think for a large man or someone with more wieght in the hip area etc, it could work great as many love it. I looked online and saw that others talked about the bar or beem in the middle. I was so bummed. I so wanted to try it as i got a new mattress when I had ptsd and since I couldn't think straight, got rid of my old mattress. I have never found one that works since then. New mattreses tend to be way too soft now. I've had lower back problems ever since i got rid of my old mattress and I've tried so many since then.

Best of luck. No matter what you do, keep your old mattress when you do try the Avocado. I loved the company and loved the topper just coudln't do it due to allergies.

lenora

Nice to see you respond @Mouse girl. Unfortunately, the allergic reaction isn't going to help much at all. I have allergies to everything....indoors and out, almost year round. Hay fever is included, along with almost everything that grows. Wouldn't you know that I love nature and being surrounded by trees and flowers?

Hearing these stories makes me think I should definitely just keep my existing mattress at the moment. Who knows, perhaps one day I'll actually be able to go out and check mattresses. Unfortunately, latex toppers haven't helped me either. In TX they have a reputation as being hot. Now this may have changed in the last two years....let's hope. When did a mattress start becoming a lifestyle all on its own? Pillows too, for that matter?

I almost have to laugh when people tell me how great I look when they see me. I feel like saying that with as much time as I spend in bed, with no sleep a good deal of the time, I should look good. I do get up and expend as much energy as possible. OK....I'm rambling. Sorry about that. Perhaps I'll wait until @Woof takes the big dive and see what she thinks of her new mattress.

All of your contributions have not only gone into detail, but have answered questions and been most helpful. Yes, keep your existing mattress....at least I did that much. Yours, Lenora.

Woof!

So I took the leap and ordered a queen-sized Avocado Vegan mattress (it's the same mattress as the Avocado Green mattress with cotton instead of a wool-cotton blend). I'll let ya'all know how things work out...

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed...:angel:

lenora

!Woof!......I'll be most interested in your observations. All have been most helpful as I try for what may work.

I realize that adjusting to a new mattress isn't easy, but should it be this difficult? Yours, Lenora.

Rufous McKinney

I realize that adjusting to a new mattress isn't easy, but should it be this difficult? Yours, Lenora.

the hard part is enduring the endless mattress ads your algorithm will generate, once one glances at mattresses, a mistake I made again last week.

Booble

I got mine: shipped: Made in Chicago. Arrived at my door rolled up.

Its really lovely. 100% love my mattress: natural latex and bamboo.

Sleep On Latex brand....mine is a medium...they make medium and firm I believe.

We have a SavvyRest natural latex mattress as well. Three levels with different hardness for each level and for each side of the bed.

I haven't heard of Avocado???? What part of the avocado could you use to create a mattress?

Woof!

I haven't heard of Avocado???? What part of the avocado could you use to create a mattress?
No avocados have been harmed during the production of my new Avocado mattress (tho' I can't say the same for any I might consume while eating in bed :lol::rofl::lol:). The mattress is made from natural latex and organic cotton fibers.