• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone taken Monolaurin as an anti-viral?

Gingergrrl

Several months ago my ND gave me Monolaurin supplements (from Monolauric acid from coconut oil) as a natural anti viral treatment for EBV re-activation. I was taking 2400 mg per day and the supplements also contained Inosine. I was taking some other natural anti virals at the time too.

I started to feel significantly better but the supplements gave me nausea and diarrhea so I stopped them. I really regret doing so b/c my entire condition deteriorated once I stopped.

I have now restarted Monolaurin at 600 mg per day trying to slowly build back up to therapeutic dose. We are fixing my gut issues so I may tolerate them better this time around.

Has anyone else taken Monolaurin and if so, what was your experience?

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't remember but I felt horrible and threw the stuff out which I never do. It was a horribly bad reaction.

The best results I ever had were with an antiviral, Acyclovir. I was able to talk without feeling like crap. Now I'm on Famvir. I think if I didn't have this horrible fog going on (not sure why yet), I'd feel ok, for me.

JBB

Yup I tried it. It did nothing for me! My understanding is that it in some way coats the cells so the virus can't get in (or something along those lines).

J

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@JBB I had the pellets. Even one made me really feel like crap.

Yes, made from coconut oil. I know some people have tried it that way. I can't stand the taste.

Gingergrrl

I did a Google site search and it seems most people were taking "Lauricidin" vs Monolaurin. Because they mentioned pearls, pellets and/or powder whereas what I am taking is a normal capsule with nothing to measure. I am thinking they may be two different products?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It's basically the same thing. Go to the company website and read up on Monolaurin. It explains how it's made and has other helpful information.

JBB

@JBB I had the pellets. Even one made me really feel like crap.

Yes, made from coconut oil. I know some people have tried it that way. I can't stand the taste.

Sorry to hear that @minkeygirl .

@Gingergrrl43 Looks like Lauricidin is a brand of monolaurin??...

https://expertnutrition.com/store/p...-support/lauricidin/lauricidin-227-grams.html

Says...

"Capsule monolaurin products contain fillers, additives, or other non-active ingredients. Lauricidin® is NOT obtainable in health food stores or from other distributors.

Lauricidin® from Med-Chem Labs, Inc. costs 400-800% less than capsulated monolaurin. The purity of Lauricidin® is higher than the industry standard especially when compared to monolaurin capsules."

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I did a Google site search and it seems most people were taking "Lauricidin" vs Monolaurin. Because they mentioned pearls, pellets and/or powder whereas what I am taking is a normal capsule with nothing to measure. I am thinking they may be two different products?

From Dreambirdie in the post linked above:

There is only one kind of Lauricidin http://www.lauricidin.com/
The other is monolaurin, which in my exprience is even stronger and harder to dose down, as it's in capsules, not pellets.

It does seem that most are taking Lauricidin.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I still have a jar of the Lauriciden pellets - I couldn't even tolerate 6, they gave me such a herx, I was just reading a few minutes ago on a Lyme forum about someone with Lyme whose ND has started her on 4 pellets so looks like I started too high anyway.
Its a serious supplement, another person (don't ask me how) is taking 2 desert sponfuls of coconut oil every 3/4 hrs and it is keeping his Lyme symptoms away - as soon as he misses a dose they come back

Aileen

Yup, I got a jar full of Lauriciden pellets too. I managed to sort of tolerate 1 pellet per day. Once I tried to increase it to 2 pellets. I got sooo sick. I was trying it for mumps. Don't know if it helped or not but the mumps did settle down, not right away, but within a reasonable time later.

Gingergrrl

Wow everyone's experiences with Monolaurin were so interesting to read. While I have never taken Lauriciden, I took Monolaurin at 2400 mg per day for months and tolerated it well except for the nausea/diarrhea.

At the time my stomach was so messed up that even Magnesium & Vit C gave me the same GI problems. I had no idea that Monolaurin was so powerful or gave so many PWC's difficulty b/c normally I cannot tolerate meds and am the first to get the rare side effects.

Not sure what to make of all this but am hoping and praying that my stomach can tolerate Monolaurin the second time around and I will get the same benefit as the first time.

JBB

This is indeed interesting. What do you guys think the herx is down to...does it eventually do something good or is it just something you cant tolerate? Does this indicate infection?

I wasn't any better or worse when I took it. I have never found anything that makes me worse!...on the other hand nothing which improves me either :mad:.

J

Gingergrrl

This is indeed interesting. What do you guys think the herx is down to...does it eventually do something good or is it just something you cant tolerate? Does this indicate infection?

I wasn't any better or worse when I took it. I have never found anything that makes me worse!...on the other hand nothing which improves me either :mad:.

J

@JBB I am really not sure why Monolaurin is so powerful but I am up to 900 mg per day now on my way building back up to 2400 per day. I will type an update post once I get further along.

Min

You could try a spoonful of coconut oil after each meal, or even cook with it if you are well enough. It can be melted over hot water and mixed with cocoa powder and stevia drops, poured into ice cubes and frozen to make chocolates.

JBB

@JBB I am really not sure why Monolaurin is so powerful but I am up to 900 mg per day now on my way building back up to 2400 per day. I will type an update post once I get further along.

Yes keep us informed :). For the record I was on 1800mg of the tablets...went straight on them.

J