• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone here tried centinol for sleep problems?

Does anyone here take centinol? My doctor wants me to try it for sleep issues as so far no sleep aids have helped completely to get me to sleep and keep me asleep (Lyrica, melatonin, Benadryl, Lunesta, Klonopin, ativan) but I’m really skeptical of her recommending supplements at this point. For reference I have ME, POTS, MCAS and other various conditions

https://www.metagenics.com/cenitol

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'd never heart of Centinol before, so I took a look at it on Amazon, and it's OBSCENELY overpriced magnesium, in this case, mag bis-glycinate, hardly a budget-breaker. It also has inositol in it, which is a pretty inexpensive ingredient, plus citric acid.

Almost all citric acid in supplements and as food additives is synthetic, produced from a type of mold. Yum.

"Side effects of citric acid include muscle twitching or cramps, swelling or weight gain, weakness, mood changes, rapid and shallow breathing, fast heart rate, restless feeling, black or bloody stools, severe diarrhea, or seizure (convulsions)"

I have no idea at what level those side effects kick in, but I do know that citric acid was one of the many, many things I had to cut out of my diet and/or supplements when I was really going thru hell with ME, and I cant recommend it as a steady dietary additive.

All in all, it looks like over-priced hokum to me, going for $50 on Amazon right now (and sold direct from Mutagenics, the manufacturer) for 7.4 ozs, or 30 servings.

Not sure why your Dr thinks this will work, but then, I'm not a scientist.

What I use for sleep is a lot of magnesium glycinate, about 1 1/2 mcgs of melatonin in 3 divided doses starting about 45-60 min's before I want to go to sleep. When that doesn;t work and I'm desperate for sleep, I add 1/4 to 1/2 a Unisom tablet, and I drop off pretty quickly, and generally get fairly decent sleep.

Benadryl had a paradoxical effect on me, making me jumpy and hyper-alert, whereas Unisom ( doxylamine succinate) works like a charm.

Klonopin (originally created as an anti-convulsant for epileptic seizures) is hell to get off of, as are Lyrica (which is also an anti-convulsant), Ativan (short-acting benzodiazepine), and Lunesta (which has a very nasty withdrawal effect, but then so do all the others).

Sleep deprivation is hell, and I deeply empathize with your desperation to find something that helps, but you might want to keep trying for answers on your own. The prescriptions you've been put on for sleep may be part of the problem and could be contributing to why you're not getting any, due to their effects in re-calibrating your brain and CNS.

Magnesium glycinate, or bis-glycinate, could be a real help here, it certainly was for me.

Hang in, there are answers that will work. It just takes time and determination to find the ones that work for you.

Last edited: