• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone here tried a supplement called “agaricus blazei murril”?

Has anyone here tried a supplement called “agaricus blazei murril”? it’s a type of mushroom used to stimulate natural killer cell function. It’s in a supplement called “NK Max 365”

Here’s their website

I’m extremely skeptical though I did some research and found that there is science to back it up. It’s something my integrative doctor wants me to try but, as I said, I’m extremely skeptical

ljimbo423

Has anyone here tried a supplement called “agaricus blazei murril”?

I tried it several years ago and it definitely boosted my immune system, which made me feel worse. I didn't know then that my immune system was already over-active.

I would say, if you have an under active immune system, this should help. There are actually many medicinal mushrooms that are good immune boosters. Like cordyceps, shiitake, maitake and reishi, to name just a few.

I tried it several years ago and it definitely boosted my immune system, which made me feel worse. I didn't know then that my immune system was already over-active.

I would say, if you have an under active immune system, this should help. There are actually many medicinal mushrooms that are good immune boosters. Like cordyceps, shiitake, maitake and reishi, to name just a few.
Thank you! That’s super helpful. I’ve had positive ANA in the past and do have hashimoto’s so that makes me really hesitant. My doctor seemed to think it was fine and was really pressuring me into it but I don’t think it’s a good idea. I have an under active immune system in the sense that I can’t fight infections by myself... like at all. I’m on SCIG for immune deficiency. But it’s just so weird that someone can have an over and under active immune system all at once

ljimbo423

I have an under active immune system in the sense that I can’t fight infections by myself... like at all. I’m on SCIG for immune deficiency. But it’s just so weird that someone can have an over and under active immune system all at once

It really does seem bizarre to have both under and over-active parts of the immune system. But there are a lot of different parts of the immune system. From the research I've done, my sense is that ME/CFS is caused by chronic immune system activation.

I think what might be happening is that parts of the immune system become tired/or exhausted from chronic activation.

Causing some parts of the immune system to become under active and other parts are still being chronically activated by whatever is causing ME/CFS and over-active, if that makes sense.:)

xebex

How do you know if your immune system is over or underactive? I never get sick so would that mean my immune system is over active and these mushrooms wouldn't be good for me? thanks

ljimbo423

How do you know if your immune system is over or underactive? I never get sick so would that mean my immune system is over active and these mushrooms wouldn't be good for me?

I never get sick either. I haven't had a cold or flu 10-15 years or longer. That tells me my immune system is high. Also, I very often have mild cold or flu like symptoms. Taken together it seems clear that my immune system is high.

So I think it's my hyper-active immune system that's causing my ME/CFS symptoms. That's why anything that boosts my immune system makes me feel sicker and have more flu-like symptoms.

My guess is it would be the same for you but I wouldn't bet on it.;) We each seem to react so differently to diet, supplements etc.

xebex

Thanks yeah I’d say I have an overactive immune system too. Ok, food for thought as ever!

Rufous McKinney

it’s a type of mushroom used to stimulate natural killer cell function. It’s in a supplement called “NK Max 365”

Its my understanding some of the mushrooms have the ability to modulate the immune system.

This article for example is discussing various autoimmune disorders and what has been learned from organ transplantation. There are quite a few references for further purusal.

https://ndnr.com/autoimmuneallergy-...se-lessons-from-the-field-of-transplantation/

EXCERPT:

Natural Sources of Immune Modulators
Naturopathic doctors should consider the source of immunosuppressant drugs when looking for a natural approach. Cyclosporine is actually derived from the Cordyceps mushroom. Tolypocladium inflatum, which gave rise to cyclosporine, is the asexual form of the Cordyceps mushroom.9 Mycophenolate is derived from the fungus Penicillium stoloniferum or the related species Penicillium echinulatum.10 Although the next generation of transplant medications came from bacteria and antibodies, mushrooms and fungi have immune-modulating features that can be important in practice.

Treatment with medicinal mushrooms may be able to lessen the need for pharmaceutical intervention. Like cyclosporine, Cordyceps is also able to downregulate IL-2.11 Even with a long history of use, research is finding new applications for Cordyceps. It shows potential in the treatment of type I diabetes by slowing the cell-mediated destruction of insulin-producing beta cells.12 Cordyceps also works as a lupus treatment by reducing titers of anti-double-stranded DNA antibodies.13 For those patients who take cyclosporine, Cordyceps can reduce the toxicity of the medication when taken concommitantly.14

Other mushrooms have shown promise for treating autoimmune conditions, despite the fact that reishi and shiitake mushrooms are known to increase IL-2.15,16 Ganoderma lucidum has been shown in an murine model to reduce sialadenitis (inflammation of the salivary gland) by altering the CD4(+)/CD8(+) ratio, T lymphocytes and serum IgG levels.17 In a study of glomerulonephritis patients, it was shown to restore immunocirculatory balance and stopped persistent proteinuria.18 Ganoderma tsugae was shown in mice to prevent the formation of autoantibodies and decrease mononuclear cell infiltration into parenchymal tissue.19

In another animal model, shiitake mushrooms have shown potential in immune-mediated colitis by altering the CD4/CD8 ratio. This was accomplished by increasing hepatic trapping of CD8, resulting in alleviation of colitis symptoms.20 Other mushrooms being investigated for use with autoimmune conditions are Phellinus linteus for rheumatoid arthritis21 and Phellinus igniarius for autoimmune encephalopathy.22 Much of this activity may be due to a copper-containing enzyme found in mushrooms called tyrosinase, or polyphenol oxidase.23 Findings from a mouse study suggest that this extract by itself may have applications with vitiligo.24

xebex

Maitake is recommended as part of the cusack protocol for building collagen, I’m just so done with wasting money on supplements but I guess I’ll Never really know unless I try!

helios

How do you know if your immune system is over or underactive? I never get sick so would that mean my immune system is over active and these mushrooms wouldn't be good for me? thanks
or under-active and its not mounting sufficient fight. when you feel rotten from the flu its not the thriving of the bacteria that is causing the rotten symptoms but the dying off of the bacteria as your immune system kills.
There is an imbalance in the Th1/Th2 elements of our immune system. I dont get flu either but have very low NK, T, CD cells (llymphocytopenia)