• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had the new shingles (Shingrix) vaccine?

LaurelW

I saw my GP yesterday, and she said that I'm at the age where I should be getting the shingles vaccine. (I'm almost 65). She said the new vaccine (Shingrix) works better and is better tolerated than the old Zostamax. She had heard rumors, though, that it can exacerbate ME/CFS.

I'd like to hear any stories, positive or negative, from anyone who has had the new vaccine.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
WhiIe I have not been formally diagnosed with CFS, I have tried the new Shingrix vaccine. Shortly after taking it, within a day I became extremely exhausted and very non-functional. It was scary. It took about a month to get back to where I had been health wise. The vaccine is usually given in a couple of shots months apart. My doctor recommended that I not take the next shot after this "bad reaction."
As a child I didn't have bad reactions to vaccinations.

ebethc

WhiIe I have not been formally diagnosed with CFS, I have tried the new Shingrix vaccine. Shortly after taking it, within a day I became extremely exhausted and very non-functional. It was scary. It took about a month to get back to where I had been health wise. The vaccine is usually given in a couple of shots months apart. My doctor recommended that I not take the next shot after this "bad reaction."
As a child I didn't have bad reactions to vaccinations.

I have bad reactions to the flu vaccine, but I still think the benefits outweigh the frustrations.... I'm wondering why, but I don't know much about vaccines, and need the bnefits (shorter, less intense flu)... I had an MMR vaccine a few years back and didn't notice a problem, but I'm not sure... So, maybe CFS'ers have a problem w virus vaccines?? It took me about a month to get back to normal after the flu vaccine last Fall; I felt like I had a lot of extra fatigue and inflammation. Ironically, I felt pretty good when I got the vaccine, so losing momentum was a bummer, but at the same time, it was good to know that it was clearly a result of the vaccine since I was otherwise good.

A few ideas: the vaccine may be derived from eggs and I've been sensitive to eggs since a particularly nasty stomach bug a few years ago... 2nd, there's an adjuvant in the shot that stimulates the immune system, which may just piss off my immune system (ie, eggs or adjuvant may be the issue, vs virus)... 3rd, maybe my immune system just can't cope w viruses in any form. (the actual virus - though "dead" - is the problem).

LaurelW

I've been getting the flu vaccine the last four years after I had a bad case of the flu that lasted a whole month. Usually I'm extra tired and achy for about for days after I get the shot.

Likaloha

Shingles vaccine has been hard to get here... My PCP really wants me to get one but there are shortages and waiting lists and even the waiting lists are full.. Have never really had a bad reaction to flu vaccines though...Just mild extra tired and extra achy.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
My father, who does not have ME/CFS, got this vaccine last year. Although he's never had trouble with any vaccination before, when he got this one he got a fever and crashed for several days--just feeling very sick and exhausted. The reaction was much milder after the second shot--I think he just felt a little sick and had a slight fever for a day. On the bright side, he's very happy to not worry about shingles, which can be miserable. I don't know if there's any way to predict who will react to the shot.

Last edited:

wigglethemouse

My mother got shingles on her head while on holiday, so there was a few days delay getting to see a doctor. It went to her eye and a few years later her sight is so bad she can no longer drive. She was not vaccinated.

Just a data point I thought I should share.