• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had negative effects from long term L trytophan and 5HTP?

keenly

I have been using these for sleep the last 2 years.
I have POTS and now it is much worse, plus I feel down, sometimes really hopeless. I have never had this before the L trytophan and 5htp.

I realise these reduce Catecholamines and I think this is the issue. Any thoughts?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I don't know long term because my bad reactions happened quickly. 5htp gave me probably the worst headache I've ever had. It felt like I imagine spinal meningitis must feel like. The L-Tryptophan caused my IBS to flair after I had it under control for years...you know where a person is squirming because of the pain and discomfort.

I believe Dr Ron Davis recommends people with ME not using these products because of the possibly IDO trap.

Like this thread says, "Impaired tryptophan (TRYP) metabolism is thought to play significant role in the pathobiology of ME/CFS."

This thread might help you as well: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/metabolic-trap-who-got-worse-on-l-tryptophan.84658/

The headache and the IBS flair did go away after a time so hopefully how you're feeling now will improve as well as long as you aren't taking them anymore.

Lately I'm finding a good fish oil and zinc is helping me with times when I feel overwhelmingly sad.

I would suggest D-phenylalanine too but right now you probably want to wait until the other two wear off a good long time before trying another amino acid.

Edit: You might try cherry juice or tart cherry for sleep. Cherries have natural melatonin. Melatonin supplements give me a headache but cherry products don't.

Last edited:

lenora

Many years ago when not much help existed for us, I used L-trytophan. Big mistake as it didn't help in the least.

I have 5 HTP here so must have also used it at some point. I wish I could remember the details....but L-tryptophan, no I will never try that again. (It's going into the garbage today.)

P.S. It must have been bad, b/c I have and almost expect reactions to almost everything. That was in a class of its own. Back off slowly if you've been on it for a long time. Yours, Lenor.