• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had a 2nd Covid vaccine yet? If yes, what was your experience?

BeautifulDay

I've had my 1st Moderna vaccine. My recommendation is to make sure everyone follows all your normal procedures to keep symptoms down around shot time.

My extensive list of symptoms includes gastroparesis and severe narrowing at my splenic flexure with system regularly shutting down from stomach thru passing gas and waste. These shutdowns can be triggered by my period and also by sitting at 90 degree angle (thighs to back angle) for over 15 minutes. Otherwise, it's just medium gastroparesis and splenic flexure syndrome.

Of course on my 1st scheduled Covid vaccine day I got my period early. Ughhh. Generally, I take advil/tylenol combo at first sign and spend the day on the couch with my heating pad to avoid worst severe pain and food system processing completely shutting down. I didn't take meds because of risk of decreasing antibody production from the vaccine later that day.

On top, it was a 1 hour and 15 minute drive to the vaccine site. I wasnt going to miss the appointment as I wasn't sure I could get another appointment in the near future. After my shot, hours later, my stomach and colon shut down that evening with screaming pain.

I have more control over scheduling my 2nd shot so I made sure it's not in my 21-26 day window when my next period will come (perimenopause). I've also asked my husband to drive me so I can lay back during the drive. A lot of people don't realize the high correlation of gastroparesis and blood clotting disorders. Sitting at a 90 degree angle causes my blood to pool in my abdomen.

It's so important to keep up our necessary routines and procedures to not cause an uptick in our symptoms during these vaccines. I failed with my first vaccine, but wont with my 2nd.

I don't expect my food processing to shutdown from these vaccines. But situational changes can cause an uptick. Keep your routines.

With many of my friends without ME/CFS having fever, chills, fatigue following their 2nd vaccines, I'm wondering what symptoms my friends like me with ME/CFS have after their 2nd shot. I'll post here after my 2nd.

BeautifulDay

Update: I had my 2nd Moderna vaccine yesterday. No gastroparesis uptick this time and no increased colon shutdown. I presume 1st shot issues were due to start of my cycle and long drive without laying down (blood clotting disorder).

I had my vaccine at 3 p.m. yesterday. Today I woke at 1 a.m. and looked at the advil I had prepositioned next to me. I didn't need it. I woke back up at 5 a.m. with chills, headache, body ache. Took an advil. No big deal. Well worth the 2nd vaccine.

jen1177

Update: I had my 2nd Moderna vaccine yesterday. No gastroparesis uptick this time and no increased colon shutdown. I presume 1st shot issues were due to start of my cycle and long drive without laying down (blood clotting disorder).

I had my vaccine at 3 p.m. yesterday. Today I woke at 1 a.m. and looked at the advil I had prepositioned next to me. I didn't need it. I woke back up at 5 a.m. with chills, headache, body ache. Took an advil. No big deal. Well worth the 2nd vaccine.

So did you only have the flu-like reaction symptoms after the 2nd dose? Not the 1st? I had a bad reaction to the 1st dose and I'm trying to figure out if I should get the 2nd one.

BeautifulDay

Update: Our entire family has now been vaccinated. No uptick in symptoms in family members with CFS/ME due to mitochondrial disease. All ages from 84 to 12 years old have had both vaccines [with other than my unique needs to prepare for my vaccines not to impact my symptoms (time in car, etc...)], the only symptoms were after 2nd vaccines slight flu like symptoms the next day.